WD-40 as an after run

Old 09-27-2012, 01:09 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by XtremeJumpin16
This is a question that almost everybody asks about. Can WD-40 be used as an after run oil since no after run is sold in my area? What about marvel mystery oil? This is a question I always wonder about and nobody has an answer to it. Which one is better?
DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT use WD-40 as ARO, MMO is great but expensive, Mobil 1 Full synthetic 10w-30 engine oil would be THE VERY BEST and CHEAPEST ARO you can get, 1 quart will last you a lifetime and since it is fully synthetic, means no dino fat on it, it will never harm your plug, o rings or any silicone inside for that matter...

Try Mobil 1 full syn on your car and you'll quickly realize why it's the best oil out there.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:57 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by NM RACING
since no one actually awnsered your question, ....
no, wd-40 would not be a good choise, it will soften a silicon filled crank and cause problems in the future, will also dry out bearings.

yes to the marvel oil, wont hurt anything.
On the other hand it is good stuff to use as an afterrun if you fo not have a silicone insert.

But no one answered his question? If he had used the search he will find thousends of topics about afterrun and WD40 with the same answers.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Uwiikz
DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT use WD-40 as ARO, MMO is great but expensive, Mobil 1 Full synthetic 10w-30 engine oil would be THE VERY BEST and CHEAPEST ARO you can get, 1 quart will last you a lifetime and since it is fully synthetic, means no dino fat on it, it will never harm your plug, o rings or any silicone inside for that matter...

Try Mobil 1 full syn on your car and you'll quickly realize why it's the best oil out there.
Hate to tell you, but Mobile 1 is not a 'true' full synthetic. Hasn't been for a while; switch was done to keep their costs down. It's not a Group IV like Amsoil or Group V like Redline. Mobile 1 is a hydrocracked oil + some combination of PAO + POE and/or AN, etc. In most countries Group III can be marketed/regarded as a synthetic.

Not that it's a bad thing. Groupings are a bit dated anyway - each has their benefits and disadvantages. Generally the 'best' is some combination of blends, though it all depends on what you are looking for in an oil.

With regards to M1, 0w-40 and 0w-30 are the closest two to a PAO base.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just get a bottle of castor oil from the pharmacy and use that as an after run oil. Safe for all parts of your motor since it is a leading part of most fuel lubrication packages.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

singer sewing machine oil is what you need
Old 09-27-2012, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

3 in 1 oil from lowes works also.fyi.
I use it when I put an engine up for a while

But no I dont know the scientific break down for it. I just know I have used it for years of nitro racing and it works
Old 09-27-2012, 07:39 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by beidle99
Just get a bottle of castor oil from the pharmacy and use that as an after run oil. Safe for all parts of your motor since it is a leading part of most fuel lubrication packages.
The problem with that is that it does dry up. Storing it for a longer time can cause problems.

Originally Posted by mrbusta
singer sewing machine oil is what you need
A better solution but there are so many different oils that I would advise to drop some fuel in a glass and add some oil you want to use as an AR to it so you can see how it will behave with the fuel. Methanol is nasty stuff to mix with oils, not all oils will mix.

So far I was told the red Tornado AR is basicly wapon oil which is made for the same purpose: preventing the metals from rust.. And hey, a bottle will cost you 5 bucks with which you can do a whole year, so why so difficult to get something else.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
The problem with that is that it does dry up. Storing it for a longer time can cause problems.

A better solution but there are so many different oils that I would advise to drop some fuel in a glass and add some oil you want to use as an AR to it so you can see how it will behave with the fuel. Methanol is nasty stuff to mix with oils, not all oils will mix.

So far I was told the red Tornado AR is basicly wapon oil which is made for the same purpose: preventing the metals from rust.. And hey, a bottle will cost you 5 bucks with which you can do a whole year, so why so difficult to get something else.

+1 on the castor, it will gum up and thicken after time, so for long term storage I wouldnt rec castor.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I have used the GMK stuff and never had a problem !!! Def will never use WD-40, I saw first hand what it did to a silicone balanced crank, not pretty !!!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Ive mentioned this between a few thread corrison X works awesome