Turbo Glow Plug

Old 09-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Turbo Glow Plug

Hi all,

There are plenty of Turbo glow plug out in the market but i need to know are they compatible to suits all brands of engine regardless of heat range?

Thank you.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Tech Regular

I'm the last guy that should post lol, but heat range and from what I hear - taper fit are crucial.
Some plugs (from what I hear) have a different taper, or more threaded area, and will chew the threads on your engine.
I use OS plugs, and they range from hot (P5), super hot(P4), and ultra hot(P3), which don't make much sense...
But I've heard that some turbo seat plugs have too many threads, or a different taper, and can damage your engine.

I'd like as well to hear what the experts have to say.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SLAYERDUDE
I'm the last guy that should post lol, but heat range and from what I hear - taper fit are crucial.
Some plugs (from what I hear) have a different taper, or more threaded area, and will chew the threads on your engine.
I use OS plugs, and they range from hot (P5), super hot(P4), and ultra hot(P3), which don't make much sense...
But I've heard that some turbo seat plugs have too many threads, or a different taper, and can damage your engine.

I'm no expert but what the heck

Use OS based plugs in OS based engines (OS, Bullitt, LRP, NOSRAM, Ninja etc. etc.). Use any other plugs in all other engines (STS, Novarossi, Werks, HPI, Picco, Team Orion etc. etc.).
Old 09-19-2012, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The only ones I know of with a slightly different taper are OS. All the rest are compatible to the best of my knowledge. Heat range is not really standard between brands, as far as what they call hot,med,cold. I use odonnell 97T on hot days and 77T on the rest. That's what works for me in my part of the world....
Old 09-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Can you put a OS plug in a NOVA engine and can you put a NOVA plug in a OS motor
Old 09-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
Can you put a OS plug in a NOVA engine and can you put a NOVA plug in a OS motor
Yes, you can use a OS P3 or P4 in a Nova. But once you use the OS plug, continue using OS plugs, don't switch back to Nova. Enjoy your Fusion, Nova, or RB's superior idle and low end with your OS plugs and don't look back.

Why would you want to run a Nova plug in an OS? OS has superior plugs.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Yes, you can use a OS P3 or P4 in a Nova. But once you use the OS plug, continue using OS plugs, don't switch back to Nova. Enjoy your Fusion, Nova, or RB's superior idle and low end with your OS plugs and don't look back.

Why would you want to run a Nova plug in an OS? OS has superior plugs.
Sorry, I was having Fun theres been a lot of talk about plugs in other threads . I will run what I feel its best I have no issues with Nova or Werks plugs in my CRE mills they tune great for me. This post isnt aiming to poke at anyone people need to easy up and enjoy there PLUGS
Old 09-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Btw , who ever said OS plugs do not work in nova engines?

I will guarantee you with 100% accuracy that os plugs or any other short taper plug WILL deform a novarossi long taper plug design head button
Old 09-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Speaking about this on going issue which seems to be arrising on soooo many threads. I accidently screwed one of my nova plugs in my os xzb max the other day. I removed immediately and screwed a p3 in it. I havent fired it up yet but do I need to worry?
Old 09-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcmoe
Speaking about this on going issue which seems to be arrising on soooo many threads. I accidently screwed one of my nova plugs in my os xzb max the other day. I removed immediately and screwed a p3 in it. I havent fired it up yet but do I need to worry?
I have,personally seen and installed hundreds of long taper seal plugs in short taper style buttons with 0 ramifications

Its the short taper plugs that deform long taper (nova) style head buttons

Last edited by houston; 09-19-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SLAYERDUDE

Ahh, so I wasn't smoking crack...
I'll stick with OS plugs in the JL .21. then.

Never knew the turbo plugs had that much of a difference.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Tech Adept

Hey, As far a plug temp ranges check into the Tuning bible stickied up top. It has some good info in there about glow plugs.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:38 PM
Tech Adept

I'm returning to this post through search because of the thread title.
I have problem tuning novarossi keep off 4 and RB BXR with OS P3 glow plug. Idle is too high because of LSN gets lean. Riching it out just a little lead to flame out. There is no tunability in that area anymore. Temperatures over 25 celcius.

OS P3 is the only available glow plug right now.
Is this caused permanent damage to the engines? will be ok if i go back to novarossi C6TGC or RB 5B ? Any experience to share? Is still true that OS P3 not sealing enough on the button of nova / RB?

Last edited by djbxp; 05-14-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

After reading this post I'm curious if using O.S plugs in my Werks B6 has done damage. Does the Alpha button designed for a O.S short taper or a longer taper?

Thanks

Last edited by BrettL; 05-21-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BrettL
After reading this post I'm curious if using O.S plugs in my Werks B6 has done damage?
Is Alpha a Nova or O.S based engine?

Thanks
Neither... Its a Southeast Asia brand in Taiwan( I believe) like Go, Arrow and some others from there... Not from OS (Japan) or Nova( Italy)...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.