Turbo Glow Plug

Old 05-20-2015, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

So kind of off topic, but still on the topic of glow plugs.... How often does everyone change theirs... When the blow out, don't work or do you have a interval like every gallon?? Just curious
Old 05-20-2015, 07:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Thanks. As I'm reading it, there are two different tapers among turbo plugs. I can see the different tapers in the O.S and O'Donnell plugs I have here in front of me. Which type should I use in Alphas? Same question for the Werks. Thanks
Old 05-21-2015, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BrettL
Thanks. As I'm reading it, there are two different tapers among turbo plugs. I can see the different tapers in the O.S and O'Donnell plugs I have here in front of me. Which type should I use in Alphas? Same question for the Werks. Thanks
It depends really on what you've been using. If you have been using the OS with the short taper, it will distort the cone shape in the button, causing a leak when going back to a large taper.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:47 AM
Tech Adept

Finally what glow plugs are compatible with what engines?
I have some info from distributor about reds, in theory are compatible with OS P3/P4 but the glow plug coil is thinner than normal and is not recommended for the reason that in case glow plug burn out the coil might go down the piston.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by djbxp
Finally what glow plugs are compatible with what engines?
I have some info from distributor about reds, in theory are compatible with OS P3/P4 but the glow plug coil is thinner than normal and is not recommended for the reason that in case glow plug burn out the coil might go down the piston.
That's a risk with every plug out there. Just because the wire in one is different that the wire in another doesn't mean its better or worse than the other. What it really means is that it is a different heat range.

Compatibility wise, obviously turbo head button to turbo plug goes without saying as well as long and short threads... But its always best to use what the manufacturer recommends. If you run a Werks motor, then run a Werks plug. Nova for Nova and so on. Now with it being hard to find sometimes the recommended plug, you have to find one that is suitable, as is your question.... I would suggest Japanese plugs for Japanese engines, European for European, Taiwan for Taiwan. That way you are at least in the same geographical region as most of those manufactures use some of the same companies to produce their products.

For me, I run OS plugs in everything except my Nova's. I run the Nova plugs in them.... Good luck.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just saw this thread ... What is the difference between a P3 and a T3 glow plug. They both look identical