Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
O'Donnells Speed Blend rusted the crap out of my engine. >

O'Donnells Speed Blend rusted the crap out of my engine.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

O'Donnells Speed Blend rusted the crap out of my engine.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Always used Byrons, never any afterrun oil, never any rust even after months of sitting
Old 08-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stubbs
I'll try to post some pictures tonight of my Toro Nero.....broken in, and ran exclusively on 30% Speed Blend.

Was running like a champ until I took it apart at 3 gallons to inspect everything.....I either flushed something into the rear bearing when I was cleaning the inside with denatured alcohol, or didn't put enough oil on it before firing it back up. Either way, the rear bearing gave up the ghost on the very next run....bummer, but totally my fault. Other than my self-inflicted problem, I was very happy with how it performed.

My typical end of race day procedure is to dump the tank, idle the engine until it stalls, then put 10-15 drops of ARO in the carb, and another 10-15 in the glow plug hole, spin for 3-5 seconds on the box, close it up, and wait for the next race. BTW, I use Mobil-1 full synthetic motor oil for ARO (doesn't seem to affect filled cranks like regular petroluem based oils do).
I don't understand this thread at all nor the reason to tear a new engine down after 3-gallons. What's to inspect ? If I couldn't trust Novarossi any more than that, I wouldn't have one.
If you feel something is wrong with the engine, then by all means take a look but opening one up for the hell of it is plain crazy.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Greg B
I don't understand this thread at all nor the reason to tear a new engine down after 3-gallons. What's to inspect ? If I couldn't trust Novarossi any more than that, I wouldn't have one.
If you feel something is wrong with the engine, then by all means take a look but opening one up for the hell of it is plain crazy.
Dang. You mad bro...
Old 08-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I tear my motors down about every 2-3 weeks depending how much I run, not because I dont trust the manufacturer, I do it to inspect the internals and clean it up. Its simple maintenance that could head off a potential problem. If you wait until your motor has a problem to tear it down then its probably too late.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

I don't take my engines apart unless something is broken....or I suspect something is broken ;-)
Old 08-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

If its running good and not making any noise then no reason to tear it down.Motors will let you know of any potential problems before problems arise just gotta know what to listen for.I've been using speed blend since its release and never had any problems.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I had been running the original OD race blend, but this was the first engine that I had run exclusively on Speed Blend. Only reason I tore it down was to see if there was any rust, and to see how the bearings had held up.

Hindsight being 20/20, I should have left it alone.....I now have a very expesive paperweight.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Here are some pics of my crank and P/S/R. The scratches on the surface of the crank came from the ceramic bearing particles going through the engine.

Like I said, 3 gallons of OD Speed Blend, Mobil-1 Synthetic oil for ARO. No signs of rust, and only slight brown spots on the crank counterweight.

Edit: I noticed the area on the crank pin shoulder that looks like something is peeling off of it. That's something with how the photo turned out. The actual part doesn't have that on it.

Last edited by Stubbs; 08-30-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking Fuel

I've been running Odonnell since 1998. I never had a problem with any of the fuel they product. I at the same time have never tried anything else.

I do tear my engines down and I physically clean all parts of the engine. I like my engines to be as free of debris /carbon material/oil deposits as possible.

I changed to speed blend about 1 year ago and my temps dropped about 10 degrees or so.

This past year I did make the mistake of putting away an engine without cleaning it. When I opened it, I did notice some rust on the crank and steel bearing. I don't blame Odonnell as I knew this could happen for years. I totally forgot 8 months prior to at least put afterrun oil in this engine before I put it away and I didn't. I replaced the rear bearing to be safe, and I'm back in action.

My truggy which I cleaned before I put it away is fine.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just tore down my gx2 to get it pinched after not being ran for almost 1 year and not a spot of rust or corrosion anywhere...last tank I ran thru it was vp power master (that's the fuel I've been running all year thru my alpha with not even a hiccup after 5 gallons so far)