Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Which motor should i buy for this season??? >

Which motor should i buy for this season???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which motor should i buy for this season???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeromerc
DON'T let the no compression from the Orion fool you at all. My 7 port Orion had almost no compression after break in and that was 7 gallons ago and it is still faster than the novarossi 7 ports and all other 5 and 3 port engines including OS engines. The Orion engines just seem to spin freely but they still have tons of power. We have a single single at our track and my Orion 7 port on 7 gallons (with NO compression) is the ONLY engine to land on the back single. But..... I know what engines I am running this season and that will be Fusion engines. I love Orions but their customer service sucks and with me living in Vietnam I need support, and with Monty from Huston's Engine Service I feel comfortable with any support I might need. So I would suggest any engine from Monty and you will be fine..
Lol i know,mine had the ceramic bearings in it so that might have been it but when ever i can turn the motor over with no effort in the car i was worried.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

Novarossi is the best engine you can buy.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Tech Master

I've got the following engines:
Go GX5-R and GXII-5HRO
Ninja JX21-B01A
Novarossi Plus4 21-4C team

And I am happy with all of them.
The Ninja B01A has been doing service for three years, it runs as good as anything I face at the track, it offers consistent duty and has been a trustworthy engine for me through gallons and gallons of fuel.

The Go engines are like a "budget" experiment, I've broken in one and had a few laps at the track, it runs pretty good, has a good powerband and I'm quite happy with it. I've slapped an OS carb on it, just because, well, that's what I like.

I bought the Novarossi 21-4C because I wanted to have a top of the line piece of machinery, it runs well but I find that the Novarossi carburation is a bit more sensitive for my non-expert hands, and it is a learning curve to tune this thing right, as such it is on the shelf for "until I am more experienced", having said that, on its day when it is tuned right it is an awesome engine with plenty of high end revs and still having reasonable grunt low down. It also seems to get me 20% more mileage on pitstops.

Originally Posted by alwayswin
MR when novarossi made them
Just to clear up any misunderstanding, despite you claiming in two separate posts that the Ninja MR01 was made by Novarossi, it was in fact identical to the GRP engine, and made by GRP. So that sets that much straight.

Then you bleat on about OS, what a load of rubbish simply put.
OS cranks that have the DLC coating to not wear on the crank pin.
The VZB without the DLC coating had the oil hole on the wrong part and in addition that model came with really bad bearings which would fail prematurely.

Any model with DLC coating, or rebranded OS made engine on the market today is quite simply very good standard of quality.
The only one I would stay away from is the entry level XZ-B blue head.
If you get the Ninja B02, you are getting a very good engine.

My comment for the thread starter is simply that if you buy a ninja, novarossi, bullitt or anything along those lines you are getting a really good engine. If you buy a Go Engine or an Arrow you are getting a decent enough engine.
Then there's also the "JQ The Engine" which is a rebranded OS at a "reasonable" price.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Eivind E
I've got the following engines:
Go GX5-R and GXII-5HRO
Ninja JX21-B01A
Novarossi Plus4 21-4C team

And I am happy with all of them.
The Ninja B01A has been doing service for three years, it runs as good as anything I face at the track, it offers consistent duty and has been a trustworthy engine for me through gallons and gallons of fuel.

The Go engines are like a "budget" experiment, I've broken in one and had a few laps at the track, it runs pretty good, has a good powerband and I'm quite happy with it. I've slapped an OS carb on it, just because, well, that's what I like.

I bought the Novarossi 21-4C because I wanted to have a top of the line piece of machinery, it runs well but I find that the Novarossi carburation is a bit more sensitive for my non-expert hands, and it is a learning curve to tune this thing right, as such it is on the shelf for "until I am more experienced", having said that, on its day when it is tuned right it is an awesome engine with plenty of high end revs and still having reasonable grunt low down. It also seems to get me 20% more mileage on pitstops.

Just to clear up any misunderstanding, despite you claiming in two separate posts that the Ninja MR01 was made by Novarossi, it was in fact identical to the GRP engine, and made by GRP. So that sets that much straight.

Then you bleat on about OS, what a load of rubbish simply put.
OS cranks that have the DLC coating to not wear on the crank pin.
The VZB without the DLC coating had the oil hole on the wrong part and in addition that model came with really bad bearings which would fail prematurely.

Any model with DLC coating, or rebranded OS made engine on the market today is quite simply very good standard of quality.
The only one I would stay away from is the entry level XZ-B blue head.
If you get the Ninja B02, you are getting a very good engine.

My comment for the thread starter is simply that if you buy a ninja, novarossi, bullitt or anything along those lines you are getting a really good engine. If you buy a Go Engine or an Arrow you are getting a decent enough engine.
Then there's also the "JQ The Engine" which is a rebranded OS at a "reasonable" price.
Well i can buy the ninja b-02 brand new in the box from a buddy of mine but he also has a brand new arrow that i wanna see run so i can make my decision on my motor for this season.I have already helped him break in the ninja and so far the ninja is one of the nicest motors i have seen for sure,Im also his pitguy so i know all about the ninja.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Tech Master

If your choice is Ninja B02 or an Arrow, then the Ninja wins hands down.
Arrow is a cheap engine, decent enough, but it is not the quality of the Ninja B02. The Arrow is basicly a knockoff engine, they are "almost" in every aspect so it is pretty good since what they copied was good to begin with, but the quality just isn't the same as the original.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Eivind E
If your choice is Ninja B02 or an Arrow, then the Ninja wins hands down.
Arrow is a cheap engine, decent enough, but it is not the quality of the Ninja B02. The Arrow is basicly a knockoff engine, they are "almost" in every aspect so it is pretty good since what they copied was good to begin with, but the quality just isn't the same as the original.
Well it is basically between the arrow,zx-b,p5xlt,or the ninja.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Tech Champion

If your buddy gives you a good deal on the Ninja, then search over I would think.. Especially if it's what he runs too - in a pinch maybe you could borrow a pipe or plug or whatever..

I would get pretty much any engine mentioned so far, that you can get the best price on.. Especially if it's a Ninja..
Old 08-28-2012, 12:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you have your mind made up, order your p5 from Huston Engine service and have him do his thing to it. I have never ran any Novarossi engine but many in Vietnam love them and they run great. It isn't one of the top engines for nothing. Arrow, it might be a good engine, don't know and haven't seen any run, but if they are on the market that means they can't be that bad. Honestly as others have said to get a real opinion you will have to sift through all the sponsored drivers and tons of bias opinions. My advice comes from a customer support reasoning. I have an Orion on 7 gallons of fuel love it, I have a new 521 factory team Orion engine just getting broke in and I love it (so far) I also have a Cody King 5 port Orion engine I HATE, from the start it never ran right. Monty tried to give me good advice to help it, and what he had me do did help but it is still not consistent and it flames out all the time. It did this from new. I have also seen posts where one guy broke a Novarossi case not likely a manufacturing problem and Monty sent him out a new case or something. I am not even sure if he bought it from Huston Engine service. I have also seen many posts where he has gone in my opinion above and beyond. With all my Orion problems they have NEVER replied to any of my emails I have sent well over 20 and from multiple emails to make sure they are not landing in their spam folder.

Just my 2 cents, I think that customer service with todays engines is your best bet. Orions are great engines and win tons of races, so do OS/Ninja, Novarossi, Alpha and many many others. See what shops near you sell parts for the engine just in case you do have troubles and buy from a reputable seller, or at least from a good company with customer support.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

from what you have picked, the Ninja and Novarossi would be on my top choices...i run Novarossi in my hot bodies and love it
Old 08-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kman16jr
Okay so im contemplating on buying a new motor before this season starts and not sure which one to get.Im thinking hard between the arrow gtr .21,O.S. XZ-B blue head,OR any other suggestions???Trying to figure out soon because the season is coming quickly.Also the amount of gallons that they last roughly since i know it the amount of care plays a big part in engine life,And also the power differences.Thanks for any responses.
what do you want this engine for ? truggy or Buggy ? what type of power are you looking for ? and what kind of budget do you have to work with ?
Old 08-28-2012, 07:03 AM
Tech Master

yea, what kind of money are you wanting to spend?
Old 08-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tran901
yea, what kind of money are you wanting to spend?

what im wanting is long life span,smooth powerband,and good price tag nothing over 400$
Old 08-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

I thought that's what I read...I got confused with another one. That'sy bad
Old 08-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Maximo
what do you want this engine for ? truggy or Buggy ? what type of power are you looking for ? and what kind of budget do you have to work with ?
Oh my bad if i didnt say it,its going in my mbx6r us spec and im looking for something with smooth delivery and good mid to top speed,have good life span,and have great runtime.Im getting around 11 minutes on a tank right now on my b6 but maybe want alittle more.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Oh my bad if i didnt say it,its going in my mbx6r us spec and im looking for something with smooth delivery and good mid to top speed,have good life span,and have great runtime.Im getting around 11 minutes on a tank right now on my b6 but maybe want alittle more.
One of my Clocked Plus 4 series engines would do the trick..... has massive amounts of low RPM grunt and the ability to spin 42 000 rpm under load..Very stable, easy to tune and good on fuel.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.