Wiki Posts
Search

Locked up motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Locked up motor

What do I do if the motor is locked up? I tried turning the flywheel to free it but it will not turn. Where do I start? Should I pull the head off?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Tech Regular

Is it a new engine?
Broken in?
Old and crusty?
Any turn of events before it locked up?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

On a new engine, I use a screwdriver to get a stuck flywheel to pop free. If its not a new engine, well need more info to help you out.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

were you trying to start it?
do you have a starter box?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by imaxx21
Good point, bump starting by hand can be a pain.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default funny

Originally Posted by SLAYERDUDE
Good point, bump starting by hand can be a pain.
When I first started 1/8th scale buggies back in the day there were no starter boxes, at least none I ever saw. It was a pain. I had to use a big airplane bump starter with an epoxied on rubber wheel with a zip tie around it. It was the only way to keep it on. One hand held the radio and the front of the car hung over the hood so the starter could be powered by my car battery, and the glow ignitor on and glowing while bumping the wheel under the car while blipping the throttle. When I see people complaining about starting an engine I laugh pretty hard.

As for the original poster If the engine had been running and it's locked up, and with the engine out it won't turn over by hand at all it's most likely a broken connecting rod and crunched piston.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by imaxx21
It's a used motor, I have a bump box (it is a friends car) I have no history but it looks brand new. It has a pull start as well but I'm trying to figure out where to begin. I think it's been sitting so long the rings are stuck to the cylinder walls
Old 08-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sullypro08
It's a used motor, I have a bump box (it is a friends car) I have no history but it looks brand new. It has a pull start as well but I'm trying to figure out where to begin. I think it's been sitting so long the rings are stuck to the cylinder walls
it shouldnt have "rings" if its a nitro motor, pull the glow plug and put some after run oil in the cylinder and turn it over by hand, with pliers or a box starter with out the glow plug in, i had this issue with my O.S. VZB V-Spec that had a 1/2 gallon thru it. I just pulled the glow plug put a few drops in then tried to turn it over with out the glow plug in

be careful because after i fixed that issue my con rod blew (guessing the tension from getting stuck and unstuck so many times)

Last edited by UnknownWarrior; 08-21-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:39 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by UnknownWarrior
it shouldnt have "rings" if its a nitro motor, pull the glow plug and put some after run oil in the cylinder and turn it over by hand, with pliers or a box starter with out the glow plug in, i had this issue with my O.S. VZB V-Spec that had a 1/2 gallon thru it. I just pulled the glow plug put a few drops in then tried to turn it over with out the glow plug in

be careful because after i fixed that issued my con rod blew (guessing the tension from getting stuck and unstuck so many times)
Thanks, I'll try it!
Old 08-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Heating it up with a heat gun or hair dryer will help. At least 100 degrees Celsius.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Oh ok

I got it now. Just spray some wd40 in it, and turn it over a few times. That should free it up. It will start right up. It wouldn't hurt to partially take it apart and clean it up better if it's gunkie...
Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hm

Mystery Marvel oil (yes, that's the real name) will unfreeze almost anything. In the exceedingly rare instance where it won't, oil of wintergreen is guaranteed to unfreeze anything. I've used both to free up 30 year old engines, the stuff is fairly inexpensive and works on a bunch of stuff outside of our hobby. (wintergreen is also really good for foam and rubber tires, softens them without eating them up.)
Old 08-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

One of the piston pin circlips might have dislodged, I've see it happen before, from what I've hearded not common but.....
Old 08-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Tech Addict

Depending how long its been sitting the bearing could be rusty or gunged up, that will go through the engine if you try to free it up by lubing it, but thats if nothing else is damaged internally.
safest thing to do is strip it down, at least the head and backplate to see why its jammed.

could be just stuck at DTC.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

If its a new engine of (most) Taiwanese origin, it's probably locked at the top due to the mechanical pinch. You need to ensure you're preheating to 200 degrees Fahrenheit before even thinking about turning it over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.