Wiki Posts
Search

Locked up motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking engine troubles

First thing I would do is tear this sucker down.

IF you are not sure the condition of the engine, I would tear it appart. First, I think you said something about a pull start. If you have a pull start, maybe the needle bearings are rusted. I would take the back plate/pull starter off. inspect the back of the engine. If the back of the engine looks rusty, I would
assume this puppy has been sitting for some time and your troubles could extend up to the piston/sleeve surfaces.

IF not rusty, I would try to spin by hand. If you can spin the engine over (remove the glow plug first) If you can spin by hand, check the starter cable. make sure the starter cord is not jammed.

If you can't turn the engine over by hand, assume the piston/sleeve are jammed. The piston could be on the up stroke and seeing the engine is fairly new, it's stuck. If this is the case, I would put the engine back together, heat the engine to 200-210 degrees and try to turn over with a starter box. (put after run oil /mystery oil through the head to lube the piston/sleeve.

If the starter cord is the problem, I would now put after run oil in the engine. Since you have cleaned with motor spray, I would either use a good quality oil to lube all the engine parts. (On a new engine, synthetic oil might not be a good idea since it might not allow the parts to seat properly)

Once oiled, I would re-assemble. You might use Lucky 7 sealant on the back plate to be sure.

Once together, without the glow plug in the engine, pull the cord. If the engine turns over smoothly, I would put the glow plug back in and mount the engine in the car. Pre-heat the engine with a hair dryer/heat gun/Competition Heat to 200 - 210 degrees before starting a break in process.