Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Speeds are factory modded iirc
Old 07-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Both are good, and will do you no wrong.

I currently run a BTT/A and like it very much. I run with speeds and they also run very well. I say go BTT because you can get motor and pipe for price of just speed.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blktransam
did you seriously just compare a MODDED engine to a stock engine?...
Your right LOL

and the truth is both engines rock..

stock vs stock the Speed is more aggressive....it has substantially higher port and crank timing.....driving them both the Speed is more dynamic and powerful.......However the BTT has a better throttle feel in the low end, it has a very tractable powerband that can run a very low clutch stall, which makes extremely good in the tight technical sections of the track..the power delivery is very precise and almost 4 stroke feeling...It is fast enough to keep up on the straights for the most part, but it really shines on rhythm and timing sections of the track....the BTT is a very easy engine to drive fast with..smooth delivery with lots of grunt,

want to see a BTT wake up ? put a JP3 on it.....

some may say the runtimes suffer, however I found with the proper needling the runtimes were on par with all the other pipes we run....
Old 07-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Maximo
setup and tuned properly the Clocked BTT runs the ass off the Speeds !

very similar top end, but the BTT has a pile more grunt on the low end......
I started up my old nova 4BTT today in the same track with the same setup and the same tires.
I did also put the 8mm venturi same as my arrow/os.
And it was way more easy to clear any jump in the track.
Just blipp the throttle and jump.
And in this medium/small track i know it was better with the nova.So i guess the bottom in the nova is some stronger.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I stayed clear of the Nova BTT line because of how soft the bottom supposedly was. After watching a few BTT's in action, I'm actually really impressed. Not enough to switch, but I wouldn't say the BTT has any disadvantage over the Speeds. Certainly not a $150 disadvantage.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

i didnt know that a speed had port modding done on them my bad.

all I do know is speeds win big races,novarossis win big races....choose one and run it
Old 07-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Less power is faster half the time. Unless you are putting it in a truggy, or are a badass, there's nothing wrong with the BTT.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Tech Adept

thank you! I appreciate the support. This is going to be a tough decision. As of now im leaning a little towards the OS. the only thing that kills me is the short time frame of the motor. I just need something that will be there for me on race day lol
Old 07-23-2012, 01:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DJGray17
thank you! I appreciate the support. This is going to be a tough decision. As of now im leaning a little towards the OS. the only thing that kills me is the short time frame of the motor. I just need something that will be there for me on race day lol
How skilled are you?? I am a novice (never started racing until this year) I used to bash with an old TMaxx, never had a buggy before and was never on a real track. I got the Orion 7 port and loved to bash, then put it on a track and I couldn't drive straight! Still thinking I need power I bought a 5 port Orion while most people in Vietnam run the O.S. or the Nova engine you are asking about. Truth comes down to your driving style and your skill. I love to pull the trigger so a smoother power band is really what I need. Yesterday I was at the track and I had a 6 gallon 7 port Orion on the track (short track) and I was eating up both the OS and the Nova engines, but on the turns I had to make sure I was straight before I pulled the trigger or I was all kinds of loose. I ran a friends Nova engine and I could drive it better than my Orion engines ( I still love my Orions) Next engine I will get will be a Fusion engine from Houston's engine service or another Orion engine. I feel that if I have a slower engine I might not mess up as much but when I do I want the power to catch back up, I never felt that way with the Nova engine like I do with the OS engine and my Orion engine, but again if I make less mistakes there is less time to make up.

Just consider your driving style, both engines are great, if you like to pull the trigger and are a novice like me get the Nova engine to start, after all if you start wouldn't you want to get practice in BEFORE you have to replace it? The Nova lasts longer and is cheaper, both can win a race and sometimes speed kills.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have ran OS speed engines for 4+ years and I always see 8 strong gallons out of them. Idk why some dont. It could be that the OS engine will run even if the tune is horrible where others will flame. So guys just lean them and burn them up. The OS engine will feel loose quicker but that doesn't mean it's toast it just means its free. The nova may go 10 gallons but by the time 8 gallons rolls around I'm ready for a new engine anyway. I have ran nova engines a while ago and then again recently.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

No tough decision

Nova and don't look back!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:27 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks again guys. I will be Purchasing the os xz-b and the speed edition. Has anyone bought anything from http://shopping.rcmodel.hk/product_i...sng0bu915kfqq4
Old 07-25-2012, 06:46 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Thanks again guys. I will be Purchasing the os xz-b and the speed edition. Has anyone bought anything from http://shopping.rcmodel.hk/product_i...sng0bu915kfqq4
I purchased 2 xz speed engines from 2 different HK companies (1 st the site you posted) when they were released and 1 of them hacked my account for 5k. Idk which one it was but I steer clear of HK companies unless I can use PayPal.

PM James he runs the Team Terribles hobby store. He is always competitive and easy to deal with.

Here's a link http://www.rctech.net/forum/private....=newpm&u=63218