Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
I think I just tore up my motor >

I think I just tore up my motor

I think I just tore up my motor

Old 05-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default I think I just tore up my motor

Being the "I can do it myself" kinda' guy, I took apart my p5xl and cleaned that sucker out. it was full of dirt after my filter came off Saturday during a race. I've reassembled the motor and now there is an obvious mechanical pinch when the piston is at the top. It's almost like a notch and if I turn it up it will just hang there and I'm able to wiggle my crank about 1/16th of an inch. Slight pressure and it will release but it's definitely hanging.

Did I kill it pulling out the sleeve? I used pliers with rubber tape (3m) onthem to keep from damaging the sleeve but it wouldn't come out without pulling it out.

Oh yea, it's not the bearings. It doesn't hang until i fully press the sleeve down into the engine. Piston is installed just how it came out.
Thanks,
Dennis
Old 05-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

If your engine got full of dirt when the air filter came off, you could not damage it any more even with a sledgehammer. Paperweight now
Old 05-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jaz240
If your engine got full of dirt when the air filter came off, you could not damage it any more even with a sledgehammer. Paperweight now
It wasn't tons but there was an obvious amount when I flushed the carb and engine. Thanks.

Dennis
Old 05-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Nothing kills an engine faster than dirt. It scratches everything and the engine won't run right ever again. I know it sucks but it's happened to most of us at one time or another. Those micro scratches prevent anything from sealing anymore and usually also destroy your bearings. More than likely your bearings, crank, piston and sleeve are all toast. Look good and you can see the scratches.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Tech Addict

Very possile it is toast, but did you notice a notch before you took it out to clean it? If the motor is still kinda new or has not lost all pinch it may be normal for a little hang at the top of the stroke. Not saying it couldn't be trashed, but I would reassemble and light it up to find out! If you've already cleaned out the bearings you probably can't do any more damage. I wouldn't invest more than a new glowplug tho.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

If the pinch is because the top of the cylinder has had un even pressure from pliers, thenyes engine is not gonna be happy. Hmmm

Try contacting ray a racing, they are magicians with pistons and sleeves. Perhaps ray can help u:-)out

Cheers m
Old 05-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Tech Adept

I duno if the engine is garbage... I own an ofna jl.21 which has 4 or 5 gallons threw it and I've ran dirt threw it two different times. This engine still runs like a top to this day it kinda amazes me..
Old 05-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I absolutely agree that if there is now mechanical pinch that wasn't there before, then you probably damaged the taper on the sleeve. Call Ray tomorrow.... 716.783.5198. At the very least he can take a look and see how out of wack the taper is. If it can be fixed, he's the guy.

The only other worry I'd have is the crank pin... did it get damaged? You'll need to spec it (or have someone else do it if you don't have access to the right tools).

Bearings and rod can be replaced, though at some point you'll have to decide if it's worth the money to rebuild it.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks everyone. I pumped some fuel through the engine, slowly, didn't crank and the pinch is gone. Just turned it over a few times with my hand while putting a little fuel through the top. I'll fire it up tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks again,

Dennis
Old 05-14-2012, 10:38 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You either have the piston in backwards,or you bent the sleeve with the
pliers. Pull the back plate off and make sure you got the rod back on the
correct way. The outer side should have small circle scratches where it
rubs the backplate. If you did bend the sleeve Ray can fix you up.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:54 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Rsickles
I absolutely agree that if there is now mechanical pinch that wasn't there before, then you probably damaged the taper on the sleeve.
You must do something very wrong to mess up the taper of the sleeve....

I think it has something to do with re-seating the sleeve, I have taken appart many engines and I know this behavour is quite normal. Did you use oil to build it up again? Oil or no oil can also make a difference in this feeling.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
You must do something very wrong to mess up the taper of the sleeve...
He said the sleeve was stuck and he used pliers to force it out.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Tech Regular

Cranked right up and ran fine. If it will give me a gallon or so more then I'm happy the way she is. I guess Novarossi engines are "Dennis Proof" : )