flywheel collet help

Old 05-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default flywheel collet help

A little back story on problem. I recently bought 8t 2.0 its a used so i went through it somewhat. Bolts are all tight grease where it needs to be that sort of stuff. I fired it up on the box and made sure it would run and idle. I hit my local practice track ran about a tank and hald then it made a funny noise like the gears were wearing out. I shut it down and checked it out. The flywheel was free spinning so i pulled it apart to see the collet had a spilt. What would cause this to happen. I have a nitro tc and have never had anything like this happen so im lost. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rollagen
A little back story on problem. I recently bought 8t 2.0 its a used so i went through it somewhat. Bolts are all tight grease where it needs to be that sort of stuff. I fired it up on the box and made sure it would run and idle. I hit my local practice track ran about a tank and hald then it made a funny noise like the gears were wearing out. I shut it down and checked it out. The flywheel was free spinning so i pulled it apart to see the collet had a spilt. What would cause this to happen. I have a nitro tc and have never had anything like this happen so im lost. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
Sounds like the nut holding the flywheel on came loose. When that happens, your crank spins but not the flywheel. if its at all chewed up, I would recomend getting a new collet. You MUST use a Losi collet with a Losi flywheel. They are different in size than the standard 3 shoe ones.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

That's the thing about used stuff..could have been just a matter of how many times the collet has been removed and reinstalled by the previous owner. I personally have never had this happen either...probably just a worn out collet..or a fluke..

*Edit* Ditto on using the Losi collet.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Cool thanks for the help. The nut holding the flywheel on was tight. Its very worn out so ive ordered a collet. How often should these be replaced? Ive ran my nitro tc for over 10 years and never had to replace it so its kinda a weird thing to me.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Check your flywheel for wear also.. If they come loose it can also wear the flywheel opening where the collet goes.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nothin special
Check your flywheel for wear also.. If they come loose it can also wear the flywheel opening where the collet goes.

+1 to that statement. The flywheel is probably trashed too.
I've seen it happen a few times on those flippin Loosezees.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

The flywheel looks good. The collet was just worn out. I ordered the collet. I could order the collet and flywheel assembly. Im replacing everything in the clutch bell to be safe. Thanks for all the help everyone. Much appreciated.