Fried clutch bearing.....

Old 05-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Fried clutch bearing.....

My clutch was making a noise, so I took it apart and the clutch bearing, near the flywheel nut fell apart when I took off the bell. I also noticed one of my shoes had wear on the front, where the bell sits on it.

Why would this happen? Was my clutch bell too tight or loose? They were some play in it, which I know there is suppose to be. I had one shim above the flywheel nut and one below the screw. Was I missing something?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks
Old 05-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Clutch bearings are a routine maintenance item. They do not last as long as the other bearings on your vehicle. Lots of people change them every club race weekend.

Some vehicles have 5x11 clutch bearings which seem to last longer than the 5x10 bearings that are most common.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlockHed
My clutch was making a noise, so I took it apart and the clutch bearing, near the flywheel nut fell apart when I took off the bell. I also noticed one of my shoes had wear on the front, where the bell sits on it.

Why would this happen? Was my clutch bell too tight or loose? They were some play in it, which I know there is suppose to be. I had one shim above the flywheel nut and one below the screw. Was I missing something?

Thanks
Clutch is one of those things that require maintenance after every run. Try to have a few of each on hand at all times.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Thanks
The clutch bell should never touch the side of the shoes. Make sure that your shimming gives you space between the bell and the shoes. Friction causes heat, which can shorten the life of bearings.

Clutch bearings are indeed a routine maintenance item. Of all the bearings on a vehicle, they require replacement the most often.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Tech Adept

I put a new bearing in, reshiimmed it.... Well see what happens!

Thanks again, I bought 4 bearings, have 3 in reserve....
Old 05-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Buy the $1 bearings and replace them after every race meeting, if a bearing seizes it can be very costly, destroy bell, spur gear, crank shaft etc in seconds.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Clutch bearings are cheap so you should replace often. Most clutch bearings are a $1.00 a piece and you can buy them in a 10 pack for 10 bucks. I replace mine before every main just for piece of mind.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Tech Adept

When you replace them, is there a break in/seating period where you take it easy for a bit? Or do you just install and rip?

I think I'm going to stock up on them...

I like peace of mind!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Clutch bearing should be changed often but setup is very important. The bell should spin free without any drag when you put a new bearing it wont be as free as one that has a few tanks. The bell should have some play just a tick a lot of bearing fail cause people put pressure on the bearing from the clutch screw. Shim so you have a tick of play and your clutch screw shouldn't be pressing on bearing that's why shimmimg is important.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Tech Champion

I put a new bearing in, reshiimmed it.... Well see what happens!

Thanks again, I bought 4 bearings, have 3 in reserve....
Buy bearings in bulk from the bearing companies. Don't buy the marked up rip offs at the hobby shop.

Every racer has exactly 87 clutch bearings in thier tool box. They come in packs of 10. Buy 9 packs, and bury 3 in the tracks biggest jump to appease the clutch Gods.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Buy bearings in bulk from the bearing companies. Don't buy the marked up rip offs at the hobby shop.

Every racer has exactly 87 clutch bearings in thier tool box. They come in packs of 10. Buy 9 packs, and bury 3 in the tracks biggest jump to appease the clutch Gods.
^ haha

Anyone have a suggestion towards a good quality bearing to use?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:39 AM
Tech Master

Good thinkin...... dont want to upset them fellas lol.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:22 AM
Tech Adept

Hahahaha, nice!

As likeaboss asked, any suggestions on inexpensive decent brand? ProTek any good?
Old 05-04-2012, 03:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Hahahaha, nice!

As likeaboss asked, any suggestions on inexpensive decent brand? ProTek any good?
AVID RC

Ready Rollers

Answer RC

All offer $1.00 bearings, and any would be a better choice then proteks IMO..

BTW If you are changing bearings you really should change both.. Because if one just failed the other is about to.. Especially if you ran it for a while with one bad.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by likeaboss
^ haha

Anyone have a suggestion towards a good quality bearing to use?
here ya go......
http://tkocompetitiondev.com/index.php?cPath=38

can get em direct or some of them from a-main..
http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...s=tko&x=5&y=10

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.