Engine Maintenance tips

Old 05-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Engine Maintenance tips

Feel free to add any rebuilding and cleaning tips and tricks you have.

I took apart my p5 last night because I like to do that about every 3 race days. I noticed I had zero rust since I have been simply emptying out the fuel lines after a race and being generous with the oil. It makes a huge difference from counting drops to just lettin it flow. Anyway, I replaced a rod, it was time, and I make sure and spray denatured through the inside of the front bearing with crank removed and the rear too, and reinstall the crank and spin it gently then blast it with air, then repeat. It makes sure any crud that may worm it's way inside the front bearing is gone. I have noticed the engine runs wayyy better after a good cleaning and oiling. everything spins perfectly. One thing about engines is you gotta be patient working on them, no slash and burn tactics. easy does it.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Should be a good thread merdith6, Im coming up to that time to check inside my motors, pulled down plenty of 1:1 motors new to little nitros but would be good to hear some of the methods with engine maintance, cleaning, checking tollerances what to look for etc.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Cool

Thanks buddy. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

I can tell you if you are new to engine work, get some nice tools that fit the screws really well. Like on my nova's the head bolts are flatheads and need something that fits really good, even on the backplate screws, smaller size. Before you go cranking on them make sure the tools fit or you will be cursing from the start.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Tech Adept

I am a big fan of replacing the front bearing every 3 or four gallons and with the hudy bearing tool this job takes less than 45 minutes to complete, also when i reassemble the engine i use lots of oil every wear to make sure everything is nice and lubricated, and while i am at it and the engine is apart i air seal the motor with lucky just to make sure there are no air leaks, never really had a problem with air leaks but the peace of mind is nice. Has anyone tried the RB sleeve removing tools? I am still using the zip tie in the exaust method with the flywheel on.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by merdith6

I can tell you if you are new to engine work, get some nice tools that fit the screws really well. Like on my nova's the head bolts are flatheads and need something that fits really good, even on the backplate screws, smaller size. Before you go cranking on them make sure the tools fit or you will be cursing from the start.
Always a fan of quality tools, but maybe you could give us a bit of a insite of the way you do a full service on your motors.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:31 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by merdith6

The novas take a 5mm blade for the backplate and 5.8 for the head. You can get away with just the 5mm if you are careful.

I use the Grp engine tool that works pretty well. For removing the sleeve I have been told the Fioroni sleeve removal tool makes the task simple. The one that came in the Grp kit is hit and miss
Old 05-10-2012, 06:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Frank L
The novas take a 5mm blade for the backplate and 5.8 for the head. You can get away with just the 5mm if you are careful.

I use the Grp engine tool that works pretty well. For removing the sleeve I have been told the Fioroni sleeve removal tool makes the task simple. The one that came in the Grp kit is hit and miss
The Grp tool is really similar to the hudy tool minus the sleeve removal tool.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jsp619
The Grp tool is really similar to the hudy tool minus the sleeve removal tool.
And flywheel puller but the bearing part of it is almost identical.