Wiki Posts
Search

All about engine.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default All about engine.

Dear all,

I am in the search for a .21 engine for my 1/8 scale buggy but when I go through the specification of all manufacturers, I am confused to choose from them.

The question I have is The ports/Sleeve in the engine. What are they and how many ports engine do I need for my buggy application.

Sorry for the silly question but I am totally lost in this direction.

Thank you.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

The basic "gist" of it, is that less ports have more torque, and more ports have less torque and more top end.

Obviously this is very basic explanation as timing profiles, port size & shape and bore/stroke play a lot into the equation.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

These days, you can pretty much pick whatever color/head design you like and get an engine that will provide plenty of fun. Bang for the buck in engines is great right now, about the only you will notice is better run times with some of them (and longevity) but performance is very similar across the board power wise.

As the previous poster stated, less ports generally produce more torque while more ports provide more horsepower. 5 ports seem to be the happy medium for all around performance and runtime.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the reply,

Now I have more or less understanding about the engine specs.

Hope to hear more from all of you too about your experience with brands as well.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Trying to think what I've run over the years now. I've had some Nova's, ran great. Had GRP Tuned, ran great. Have a Werks B6 now, runs great. OS VSpec, ran great. When I got back into 1/8 after a 5 or 6 year layoff, I picked up the 8ight 2.0 RTR buggy and truggy, dropped turbo head buttons on the stock engines, and they ran great too. Front bearing went out of the 350 at about 3 gallons or so and I gave the 454 to a kid at the track that needed an engine for a truggy he picked up. My point, those engines ranged from $150 to $400 and all were just fine for club racing.

Best I got with the 350 was just over 9 minutes and the GRP would pull 12 minutes. The OS was always reliable and would get me right around 10 minutes. I went just over 11 on the B6 last weekend but it died in the pits for a refuel (will go 10 reliably on a large fast track). Power output was just about the same from all of them but the 350 with the 2053 had ballistic top end.