Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Need some opinion- Alpha VS HPI VS Novarossi >

Need some opinion- Alpha VS HPI VS Novarossi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need some opinion- Alpha VS HPI VS Novarossi

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by camocowboy
The nova is a different class of motor in my opinion. The other two are cheap knock offs. For reliability and milage go nova or os. The vspec is an affordable option too
I agree, But I'd add RB to the list of motors to look at as well. Nova and RB never steered me wrong. Currently run an Modded RB s7 worlds with a JP-1 pipe on my Mugen MBX5r and It's all power all day.

Mike
Old 03-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by LosiPRRACER
they are "at the top" because they were the best engine makers a few years ago. also there is 3 "top" makers, o.s, nova and sirio(werks, orion etc)

as far as price vs life vs performance, alpha, go etc are right up there with them "top" brands now
what do you consider top i have no issues with alpha or go ive bought and sold for my local bashers i wouldnt put them in the same level as Nova or OS may reasons quailty is consistent also materials and carb ask the people that sell a varity of engines not the guys the only sell on exclusive brand. As i stated go and alpha are all good engines but are at a different level from others
Old 03-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
If every tenth Alpha or current Go were a dud, you'd hear about it on the various forums. It is simply not the case. China/Taiwan might have had some quality issues 5-6 years ago, but at least with Alpha, Go, Argus, etc.. it's just not the case anymore(that goes for all manufacturing too, not just RC..) And there are even some threads around with people having encountered quality issues with Novarossi. OS VSPECs had conrod issues some years ago.. Italian does not automatically mean better anymore.. It does though mean MUCH more expensive replacement parts if you need them. IMVHO opinion you can buy an Alpha and have zero reservations about it. The A852 is meant to be a serious monster power-wise too.. The only complaint - if you want to call it that - that you see with them is that they are maybe a bit too powerful...

Whatever the case, I just don't think there are really that many bad engines out there anymore. There are so many that are good value-for-money - from the Novarossi P5 to the Go GXII to the whole range of Alphas to Werks, etc.. The selection is huge, and only those with vested interests or those who have settled into a Ford-vs.-Chevy kind of mentality keep repeating the old mantras that it has to be Novarossi, or it has to be OS, or whatever else..
How do you know this do you buy 50-100 ENGINES from different companies how can you go against a person like houston which deals with high volume i would think he knows what hes talking about. You always say dont do this or this isnt good but half the time you have never owned nor ran therefore your posting are one sided. Ok we get your a buy one get one free type of guy which isnt bad but your references are far off.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
How do you know this do you buy 50-100 ENGINES from different companies how can you go against a person like houston which deals with high volume i would think he knows what hes talking about. You always say dont do this or this isnt good but half the time you have never owned nor ran therefore your posting are one sided. Ok we get your a buy one get one free type of guy which isnt bad but your references are far off.
Time to wake Monty up.

Monty has said "that is exactly why i dont deal with taiwan engines". So who in their right minds would send a taiwanese engine to him? Therefore, how would he know the failure rate of taiwanese engines? Heresay?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
I've never said, nor would I ever say, that he doesn't know engines. All I'm saying is that writing off Alpha just because it's from Taiwan is misguided - very IMO.

And no, I haven't owned every engine under the sun. I don't think you need to though to have a feel for what's what. And though, no, you can't base opinions entirely off forums, there ARE tons of guys with Alphas over the past years who have been thrilled and had great experience with them - in various languages and on various continents. AND including guys who have switched over from Nova. And no that's nothing against Nova. Just coming back to that same point - Alpha is not bad because it comes from Taiwan. And for an awful lot of people, they're not bad at all, but on the contrary very, very good.

Last edited by Herrsavage; 03-28-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nv529
I see some talk about the HPI/HB nitro star .21 race engine, however has anyone ran the engine and can give a honest opinion? Last time I checked the engine is only available for the European and Asian markets.

Just curious....

i think that engine is same as ofna jl .21 with hpi head
Old 03-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Tech Champion

I've never said, nor would I ever say, that he doesn't know engines. All I'm saying is that writing off Alpha just because it's from Taiwan is misguided - very IMO.

And no, I haven't owned every engine under the sun. I don't think you need to though to have a feel for what's what. And though, no, you can't base opinions entirely off forums, there ARE tons of guys with Alphas over the past years who have been thrilled and had great experience with them - in various languages and on various continents. AND including guys who have switched over from Nova. And no that's nothing against Nova. Just coming back to that same point - Alpha is not bad because it comes from Taiwan. And for an awful lot of people, they're not bad at all, but on the contrary very, very good.
Im not reference performace factors im pointing out your statmemt about quaility. When you open a buinesss and your profession requires a skill you understand how the wheels turn your able to point out issues more then a normal guy that buys mills of flea bay. My point is some brands have tolerances issues their not consistent or different from randon picks it doesnt mean the motor wont run it just means it might not last as long or the pinch is tighter or somethimg fails premature. When you buy a nova or Os you will see less issues. i can spit out a number issues why people either dont support selling these brands or why a buiness failed cuase they think they can make a huge profit cuase their buyimg a ton of engines from china etc at 80-120 bucks but later get burnt cause their dealing with customer issues IE are losing money cause of quality or tolerance issues. Dont say you would hear not everyeone is a a-hole when it comes to posting issues some take it behind close door to save name or out or respect :-)
Old 03-29-2012, 04:33 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Boys boys boys
Old 03-29-2012, 07:12 AM
am
Tech Master

Just wondering, why dos guys in thos thread say that they change carbs from xxx to Novā?

Think abaout it, maybe it is the higher quality in Nova parts?...
Old 03-29-2012, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If every tenth Alpha or current Go were a dud, you'd hear about it on the various forums. It is simply not the case. China/Taiwan might have had some quality issues 5-6 years ago, but at least with Alpha, Go, Argus, etc.. it's just not the case anymore(that goes for all manufacturing too, not just RC..) And there are even some threads around with people having encountered quality issues with Novarossi. OS VSPECs had conrod issues some years ago.. Italian does not automatically mean better anymore.. It does though mean MUCH more expensive replacement parts if you need them. IMVHO opinion you can buy an Alpha and have zero reservations about it. The A852 is meant to be a serious monster power-wise too.. The only complaint - if you want to call it that - that you see with them is that they are maybe a bit too powerful...

Whatever the case, I just don't think there are really that many bad engines out there anymore. There are so many that are good value-for-money - from the Novarossi P5 to the Go GXII to the whole range of Alphas to Werks, etc.. The selection is huge, and only those with vested interests or those who have settled into a Ford-vs.-Chevy kind of mentality keep repeating the old mantras that it has to be Novarossi, or it has to be OS, or whatever else..

Very well said my friend
Old 03-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by am
Just wondering, why dos guys in thos thread say that they change carbs from xxx to Novā?

Maybe some people prefer a short needle design.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The 1 and only draw back to the Alpha motors and if you own a Alpha you know this is true, is the EXTREME amount of pinch on the motor. I have every Alpha motor except for the .23 and the .28 and ALL of them had a ton of pinch for break in. So preheating is pretty much a must, unless you want to put alot of stress on the rod or other parts. Usually I would and still do(when I use them) allow my heater to stay on them for extended times before starting them. Another mistake I see alot of people making with the Alphas is they tend to tune the top first. From my experience they like the bottom tuned first and set then get your top. Usually get your bottom tuned in the top is usually just a turn of 3 to 4 hours on the top. And my oldest or most used motor has 6 gallons on it and it is still running strong. But in my opinion for a buggy an F-850(red head) or the 852 either of the 3 models but I myself prefer the A model in truggy paired with a 2090 pipe and you have a very very deadly combo.

I am in no way saying Alpha is better then any other as myself at this time and mainly running Fusion motors. I am just going off the experience I have had with the Alpha motors. If you break it in correctly you will have a strong and happy motor. But for the money if you tring to run a budget motor I would say look at either Alpha or the Fusion line. either way I don't think you can or would go wrong.

Last edited by bobbyc1127; 03-30-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I broke in 5 motors last week, 2 Argus, 2 Alpha and a Nvision. The Nvision was by far the tightest.

Rex
Old 03-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by am

There are probably a few reasons there. One, some probably just heard some old 5-year outdated info about when Go had a bad run of carbs or something way back when and assume it's still necessary or something without even really knowing. Second, some of the Go's for ex. just tune differently - for ex. much more around the LSN, so some people maybe just give up prematurely and assume it's a "bad" carb, and just want a carb that tunes more like what they're used to. And third, some people just have a blind prejudice like you and assume if it's not from Italy it must suck. I've had a couple Novarossis over the years, and a few other brands - again, nothing like what some of you have had - but still, the best-tuning engines I've had have been a Caster Grenade (a Go 5-port from 2-3 generations of Go's ago..) and my current Argus.

For this year I have a Nosram (Jammin JPX 21 twin basically, i.e. Picco) I'm breaking in at the moment, and a Fire 11 NIB, so we'll see how they go.. (Yeah yeah all the Italian talk made me want to see for myself.. Still, if I were going to get another new engine this year, it'd probably be an Alpha or Argus..) So far the Nosram has been ..... OK to break in, but not what I would call a piece of cake compared to some others.. My last Nosram(bought used) held a tune great so you never really needed to adjust it, but the tuning window was very, very narrow...(great engine btw..)