R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Offroad Nitro Engine Forum (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum-157/)
-   -   motor rpm (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum/571138-motor-rpm.html)

imrob 11-23-2011 08:52 AM

motor rpm

I have a question on motor rpm. What i want to know is when you look at motors on the site and when it say it got 3.3 hp at 3300 rpm is that the fastest rpm the motor goes? im trying to find a new mill and so far os seem to have the most lowest rpm for hp. but pricey like cazy and the go are not to far or the werk but go is the cheapest so far

bentgear 11-23-2011 10:42 AM

Buying a motor based on manufacturers official specs is a joke. Nobody uses the same standard and most are just made up BS. But I sure would like to have a 21 that would make 3 + HP at less than 4,000 RPM's. Don't think its been invented yet.

Grinder 11-23-2011 12:26 PM

Most manufacturers are saying that the # they give is where peak horsepower happens. I assume in the first post the person meant 33,000. These engines idle at 6,000. ;)

The # where peak hp occurs is less than max rpm. For offroad .21's peak hp is usually from 28,000 to 38,000. Max rpm can be as much as 10,000 more rpm than peak hp.

Mark _australia 11-24-2011 03:01 AM

Agreed Grinder

Imrob, these are the same as any other motor - torque and horsepower on a graph are a curve (like a hill) where it rises with revs, then peaks and drops off, but the motor can still rev more and power drops off as it revs higher. Google dyno printouts or charts and you will see that I mean.

Peak HP at lower revs is not necessarily good - what you want is same peak power but a flatter curve so you have lots of power over a wider range. But we don't get that kinda info from the manufacturers.

If you buy any decent race motor it will produce similar enough power so how you drive is more important, and the pipe you use will change the power curve a bit.

Roelof 11-24-2011 06:21 AM

Beside all mentioned, these numbers are mostly made out of thin air. They are no real numbers but an indication to compare with others from the same brand. I have seen a simple Force offroad engine set to 45000rpm while the top onroad engine from Novarossi was specced at 37000rpm. You can tell me a lot but that offroad Force engine will by far not outperform a Novarossi onroad model.

Maximo 11-24-2011 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 9952840)
Beside all mentioned, these numbers are mostly made out of thin air. They are no real numbers but an indication to compare with others from the same brand. I have seen a simple Force offroad engine set to 45000rpm while the top onroad engine from Novarossi was specced at 37000rpm. You can tell me a lot but that offroad Force engine will by far not outperform a Novarossi onroad model.

I agree.....but dam beleive it or not a Force .21 can really belt out some RPM for a Taiwanese mill.... ( well with a little help at the Clockwork shop )

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...edJL212011.jpg

imrob 11-24-2011 08:45 AM

will grinder did have the rpm number right i missed an 0 ok will i guess i have to go find some grap for these motor then cause the guy at my track seem to like the go motor but it seem wierd to by a motor that you have to wait to get parts for and i have all os in my planes and i know they perfourm good there. but i think i might ty the werks or os if i can break my wallet for an os mill might get a .25 for the truggy cause i have two small track and two large track to go to after winter but im sure either motor got to be better than this dynamite 427 which is like a 26 i think hey do you guy know where i ccan get some dyno pic for these motor is there a site that has like all of them

Roelof 11-24-2011 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Maximo (Post 9952885)
I agree.....but dam beleive it or not a Force .21 can really belt out some RPM for a Taiwanese mill.... ( well with a little help at the Clockwork shop )

I have got here an old Force onroad engine with an original (black) turbo head. That one runs great, it has a tiny bit less topspeed but for sure lots of torque, I know with a little bit of help it can be something

Lille-bror 11-24-2011 10:54 AM

Noting beats my HPI Pro engine: Same as Killer9 and 10 and Force JL.21

HPI F3.5 Pro Features:
- 14mm crankshaft
- 5 ports + 2 by pass
- Composite slide carburetor with interchangeable 8mm and 7mm venturi
- Black coated finned designed crankcase
- 3.49cc
- Bore: 16.20mm
- Stroke: 17.00mm
- Weight: 345 Gr
- Dust Protection Caps
- Max RPM: 50,000
- Horsepower: 3.30

http://www.redrc.net/2010/08/hpi-nit...-buggy-engine/

:D

Maximo 11-24-2011 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lille-bror (Post 9953839)
Noting beats my HPI Pro engine: Same as Killer9 and 10 and Force JL.21

HPI F3.5 Pro Features:
- 14mm crankshaft
- 5 ports + 2 by pass
- Composite slide carburetor with interchangeable 8mm and 7mm venturi
- Black coated finned designed crankcase
- 3.49cc
- Bore: 16.20mm
- Stroke: 17.00mm
- Weight: 345 Gr
- Dust Protection Caps
- Max RPM: 50,000
- Horsepower: 3.30

http://www.redrc.net/2010/08/hpi-nit...-buggy-engine/

:D

50 000 RPM.... I thought I was doing good with 44000 RPM on the mod JL....sheesh..maybe I need to install the HPI branding and pick up another 6000 RPM on the top end

offroad dude 11-24-2011 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Maximo (Post 9952885)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...edJL212011.jpg

All I can say is WoW after watching that video

houston 11-24-2011 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Maximo (Post 9954042)
50 000 RPM.... I thought I was doing good with 44000 RPM on the mod JL....sheesh..maybe I need to install the HPI branding and pick up another 6000 RPM on the top end

:lol:

bentgear 11-24-2011 02:19 PM

imrob, manufacturers specs for air engines at least give you the brand and size prop used for the testing. If lucky they also give the nitro content. That lets you concentrate on other things like weight, material of manufacture, physical size , price, etc. Sure wish there was a standard for the car lineup, thought the X-Dyno would become the standard, but has not yet.

imrob 11-24-2011 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by bentgear (Post 9954372)
imrob, manufacturers specs for air engines at least give you the brand and size prop used for the testing. If lucky they also give the nitro content. That lets you concentrate on other things like weight, material of manufacture, physical size , price, etc. Sure wish there was a standard for the car lineup, thought the X-Dyno would become the standard, but has not yet.

yes will i guess i just have to try them out for a season at a time and find out what works best since i cant find out really but i want a motor i can find part for like from a main or the regular hobby store not some other site so i guess the go motor are out does anyone know how long werks motor been in around

Lille-bror 11-24-2011 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Maximo (Post 9954042)

:p
Yearh, it's all in the head!!! :lol:

From the specs, my HPI should be a lot faster and stronger than any other engine on the track... but it is not...:cry:;)