Search

best .21 for the $$$!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Questions?? best .21 for the $$$!!

Hi all!!

I'm wanting to know what is the best .21 for around 300$$?? I'm going to be putting that motor in my sc8.

I had a werks b3 pro in my mbx5t and that engine had more bottom mid and hi than my buddies modded axial .28rr and i loved that motor for as long as i had that truggy.

I would like it to be easy to tune powerful and long lasting. If anyone came help me with this it will be much appreciated it. I know this thread has probably been beaten to death but it would be some major help to me. Thanks all Doug.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Tech Champion

There are lots of great engines for an SC8 - from 21 to 30...

I run mostly 21's, and they rip.

IMHO, an OS 25 would probably be the dream engine for an SC8. With a discount you could probably get one for $300-ish. Then maybe one of the Losi pipes - RE10 or RE11.. Would need to research that..

A more budget-friendly option would be an Alpha .23 with 0801 pipe.

I currently have an Argus A52 with 0801 pipe in my SC8, and it rips.. EDIT - I really like the Argus, and it isn't fully broken in yet, so I can't really say %100, but it kind of sort of seems like it might lack a bit in the top-end RPM range for my tastes.. I like a real screamer.. The Argus with 0801 is almost certainly an ideal truggy racing engine, since on tracks you rarely get to really let an engine wind out.. But yeah, I don't seriouly race my SC8, so for messing around I like to really let loose with some WOT.. And I think hear the RB Fire 11 would really shine.. But again, my Argus isn't fully broken in yet...

I think with the SC8 there are so many options, and variables, that you really have to think about exactly what you want to do and what you want out of an engine..

An LRP Spec 3 .28/Losi 454 with an 18T CB would also probably shred it up fantastically.. Drinks a lot of fuel thoug.. But cheap..

Werks B5 with 2013 surely another great option..

With all of the above you need at least a 17T CB IMO...

PS - Sorry, see you only want a .21... Werks B5, Argus A52 or the new supposedly even more powerful B52 coming out, OS XZ-B, Go GXII, RB Fire 11 if you can get the right price on it.., etc.. Here in Germany bang-for-buck the RB Fire 11 is probably the best deal going.. Don't know about US prices on it...

Another GREAT alternative for the SC8, if they're still available, would be the Jammin JPX 21.. Picco-built powerhouse...

Basically, IMO ideal truggy engines tend to lack top-end.. So what you want for an SC8 is a good buggy engine, that many buggy drivers might shy away from for having too much grunt, but which would still have a nice screamy top end...

The Alpha A852 for ex.. would probably also fit that bill just right...

See what I mean.. LOTS of good options...

Last edited by Herrsavage; 11-18-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

If your going to bash the jammin .21 is cheap and it makes a boat load of power also the Argus very under rated mill again cheap and it makes very good power. OS .21 XZB Blue very nice engine excellant for racing and bashing.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Wow thousand thank you Herrsavage.

I'm still mind bogged about what you said. Thanks a lot. I never new that there where that many motors out there.

It don't have to be a .21 but i don't need it to be a .28 or bigger. It seems to me a good race .21 has more bottom end than a 28 Hell even amore top end than most 21.

I would love the motor to have bottom and a desent top. I'm going to have to check out the motors you suggested and see which ones I like the most. Once thanks again for that awsome reply :-).
Old 11-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Tech Champion

Here's me breaking in my Argus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpBItjjHQSc

Something to keep in mind though. While the Argus and Jammin are probably your best bet, they are also known for requring more attention to and having a longer break-in. Both pretty much need to be pre-heated - which I anyway find to be a PIA..

The Werks and the OS cost more, but are known to be a bit more user-friendly.. Though most guys here will tell you to preheat them too.

Just something to think about. If you can deal with pre-heating and the massive mechanical pinch when new, the Argus and Jammin are definitely among the most powerful, best value-for-money engines you can get.

The Argus is Alpha-based btw - and the Alpha A852 is meant to be even more powerful than the Alpha the Argus was based on... And again, Argus - basically a cheaper Alpha but still just as good - is coming out with the B52 soon, which supposedly will be even more powerful than the A52.

The Jammin IMO is probably gonna have the same down-low power of the Argus - but more top-end... - depending on pipe of course.. Here I like the 2063 for the Picco P7 engines like the Jammin. In the States though I don't know. Many say 086, but I personally hate that pipe.. Might work great for you though - and cheap...

Yup.. LOTS of options...
Old 11-18-2011, 09:47 AM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

That engine of yours has a lot of power and you can tell its going to be a beast. I'm glaid the sc8 is still alive. I have two and probably going to be getting a third.

These trucks a outstanding and very fun to drive. I wish they made more body and sc rims choice. Also would like to add the noseing into the dirt causing it to flip is kinda annoying. Anyways thanks for you help and have to say again sc8 best choice for the money imo..
Old 11-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Best engines for the money hands down would be the basic Novarossi +4 or the P5. You cant put a price tag on having the best carburetor on the planet attached to your engine! Couple that with the best front engine bearing ever made and you have an easy to tune, long lasting powerhouse for under $300 in your choice of either. I will say there are lots of great "engines" in the $200 price range, but unfortunately most of them come with useless carbs.....just something to think about......
Old 11-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Tech Champion

That, IMO, is a blind prejudice no longer really based in fact. Or in any case not relevant to somebody looking to bash an SC8...

I've had at least three Go's at this point, along with the Argus now, a couple Novarossis - one of which, a 528XR, was one of the biggest PIA engines I've ever had.. - not to mention probably ten SH-based basher engines, and they've all been great...

Only a Hot Bodies .26 and the NR 528 were ever really truly horrible....

The Argus is really very easy to tune. I have a Novarossi too - a REX P215R or something, raced it in my last buggy race, and it was fine.. But I see no reason to fawn all over it, especially because of the carb.

The best carb - or at least best idling engine - I've ever had was a Go-built Caster Grenade. Idled all day.

No offense, seriously.., but Novarossi-fanboyism is really not very convincing to me.. Maybe if I were racing buggies at a high level and needed 12 seconds extra of run-time I'd pay the extra cost of a Novarossi or OS.. But for bashing in an SC8... Naa...

EDIT - OK, sorry, missed that you were talking about a P5.. Yeah, I would add it to the already long list too.. The P5 is well-priced, good-value-for-money too... (I think my REX is based on an older version?..) Though is it going to have a good top-end? Mine does, but it was modded for that..

Last edited by Herrsavage; 11-18-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

IMHO, the best bang for your buck .21 engine is the Alpha F850 (red head) with 0801 pipe. flat out hauls and Alpha really backs their products.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Of what I've ran so far the Werks B5 and Werks B6 are my favorites along with the older GRP motors which now Ascendacy sells I believe.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Novirossi +4 Hands down a solid motor that will not disappoint! Buy it, race, win!!!!
Old 11-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Tech Champion

Is a +4 gonna' have enough low-end grunt for an SC8, which with the roll-cage and enormous body weighs easily over four kilos - i.e. a heavy-ish truggy weight? Also running buggy Badlands.. Just curious..

As of now, if I get a new engine for my SC8 over the winter, it will be an RB Fire 11... - a Novarossi-built, affordable, big-power engine btw to the OP...
Old 11-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

the standard novarossi plus 4 I use it in my truggy, while at the end of the day it dosent have the balls of my toro but it still has plenty of power and reliability and it blows the toro away with run time thats where I win most of my truggy races when most guys are pitting more than me, most of the time I get 13+ mins in my mbx6t
cheers
Old 11-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Precirotate pr21c .21 engine is a 3 port and is modified. Motor screams an you can get it for $174 on amain. I have one in my buggy and its more than enough motor for any thing. And great mileage. Or i can get a ascendancy g5 which replaced the grp motors that are great and are around $240. Or maybe try the werks b2 for around $160 and is a 3 port too.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Check out the Team Orion Discovery. Motor and Pipe combos, when you can find them, go for about $220-250.. I run one in Buggy and another in Truggy. Truggy engine is on gallon 4 and still going strong.. Easy to tune, with good amonts of power. Not the most powerful thing out there, though..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.