Wiki Posts
Search

Ceramic bearings or steel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeff Werner
For a racer looking to replace some bearings which ones have been found to be quality for front bearings? Looking at the TKO bearings but there are so many choices. Any input would rock. Putting them in an Argus engine.
Nova 17011 for front IMO
Old 11-14-2011, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

My understanding is Ceramic bearings will last longer due to less bearing skid when the engine is aggressively accelerated. With the lighter ceramic balls they are able to keep up more with the rapidly accelerating inner race reducing bearing skid.
The lighter balls must have some positive effect on performance but how much is anyone's guess.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smelly62
My understanding is Ceramic bearings will last longer due to less bearing skid when the engine is aggressively accelerated. With the lighter ceramic balls they are able to keep up more with the rapidly accelerating inner race reducing bearing skid.
The lighter balls must have some positive effect on performance but how much is anyone's guess.
that is a interesting point !
Old 11-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smelly62
i dont think a lighter bearing will have less bearing skid, expecially when gravitation is in the works. the heavier the ball the more weight pushing against race= less skid. it may minimunize rpm a bit (where ceramics might come in handy) but not wear faster by no means. kinda like your tires on your 1:1 car, if you have a light car you will have less traction than a car that weighs 1000lbs more, just less power
Old 11-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

gotta also consider ball size n count. just cause the its same size bearing dont mean they all have the same size balls. i know the ceramics i run have smaller balls but there is more of them when compared to the factory OS ones.

Last edited by jpalessi; 11-14-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jpalessi
gotta also consider ball size n count. just cause the its same size bearing dont mean they all have the size balls. i know the ceramics i run have smaller balls but there is more of them when compared to the factory OS ones.
small balls= more wear
Old 11-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Tech Addict

Not fact, but, in my own mind I have thought ceramics were more likely to skid when new compared to steel........at least until run in a bit.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by race2win
i dont think a lighter bearing will have less bearing skid, expecially when gravitation is in the works. the heavier the ball the more weight pushing against race= less skid. it may minimunize rpm a bit (where ceramics might come in handy) but not wear faster by no means. kinda like your tires on your 1:1 car, if you have a light car you will have less traction than a car that weighs 1000lbs more, just less power
I'm totally confused.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by race2win
That's only true for half of the balls.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Tech Addict

i dont understand the fascination with the balls. its all about the crank shaft
Old 11-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you care about that extra 2-5% of power then ceramic bearings are worth it. Ceramic bearings are barely noticeable on my dyno. On the racetrack, there is a noticeable increase in engine spool up. It is noticeable visually, and audibly. I will say that my ceramic bearings are not your average bearings. We have tested for years with our custom ceramic bearings. We have found what we believe to be the proper clearances radial, and axial after pressed into the block. The ceramic balls are purchased in large quantities, and then measured to be the exact same size before the bearing is built.

I will say that I don't think any engine manufacturer is spending this much time on bearings. I will not say any names, but some of the more expensive bearings on the market are not what I consider great. Some of the engine manufacturer bearings are good, and some bad from the same manufacturer. Unfortunately it's hit, or miss. The bearings will all work, but you will know it when you get a good one. As for the low cost ceramic engine bearings out there... It's usually miss.

On another note. A good quality steel bearing will perform better than a poor quality ceramic bearing. Both bearings being of equal quality, and clearances. The ceramic bearing seems to be faster.