Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Using engine heater after break-in? >

Using engine heater after break-in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using engine heater after break-in?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Tech Regular

Default Using engine heater after break-in?

The title essentially says it all. I know that using an engine heater is an absolute "must" when breaking in your nitro engine. However, do you continue to use it even after break-in? Like, your first engine start of the day on race day? Let the debate begin!
Old 11-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Yes I use my competion heater alot. I use it for the first start up, when it's cool in the morning and when it's on the cool side through out the day. My engine fires up easier and basically sits there and idles nice.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Tech Regular

*nod* Makes sense. I am thinking that a warm start-up at the beginning of the day must be gentler on your engine internals too. I am definitely all about getting the most mileage out of my engine.

Definitely got my eye on one of those 12v Competition Heat deuce heaters for next year.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

For me I don't see any point after a motor hits its prime 2-3 gallons. I always heat my engine on break-in to the 2 gallon'ish mark then my Rod gets changed all my motors last super long well past the 8 gallon mark no issues.

Last edited by bigjayjay1; 11-03-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Tech Lord

The life will be lengthen a lot when using pre-heating. Not only the P/S set will gain a lifespan but also the bearings.

The cold start and giving some throttle is giving a lot of heat into the piston because it is a small thing while the sleeve is cooled by the crankcase and head taking a while to warm up. The piston will scratch in the sleeve.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
The life will be lengthen a lot when using pre-heating. Not only the P/S set will gain a lifespan but also the bearings.

The cold start and giving some throttle is giving a lot of heat into the piston because it is a small thing while the sleeve is cooled by the crankcase and head taking a while to warm up. The piston will scratch in the sleeve.
I have natural heat : Hawaii Blower
Old 11-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
I have natural heat : Hawaii Blower
Oh you big jerk!

I am envious of places that get to race year-round. Here in Canada, the season ends pretty abruptly in late fall, due to rapidly plummeting temps. And sadly, my city is not lucky enough to have an indoor offroad track. *pouts*
Old 11-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

My engine doesn't get fired up without being preheated....ever. It's just so easy to do it, and is a reasonably inexpensive way to extend engine life.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I preheat during break in and until the metal pinch is gone then only if the temp drops below 40 degrees or 4 C for you metric nuts.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

I don't really think there is a debate here.

It's really not that hard to preheat the engine every time you fire it up, and it will only extend the engines life. Plus it heats everything up, even the chassis (if it's on long enough) which will mean it will be pretty close to race temps and tune the minute you fire it up, instead of having to do warm up laps and wait for it get up to temp before tuning. Definitely a must when it starts getting coler out, or when your running at 2 in the morning!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

One of the main reasons I preheat my engines is so my practice laps arnet being used to warm up the engine. Also, on the first lap, I can tell if the engine needs some tuning.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PERROTTO
One of the main reasons I preheat my engines is so my practice laps arnet being used to warm up the engine. Also, on the first lap, I can tell if the engine needs some tuning.
Ditto for me. I pre-heat my 7 gallon old Alpha when I run it still ;-) All my engines get warmed up before I fire em up...mainly for the reason PERROTTO stated above...after they "break in" I use it to get the engine ready to race instead of blubbering cold for the first few laps....
Old 11-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Tech Master

Preheat before fire it up? Just turn the engine 5 minutes on the starterbox. Then its pretty warm and ready for the glowheater!!!!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zao18
The title essentially says it all. I know that using an engine heater is an absolute "must" when breaking in your nitro engine. However, do you continue to use it even after break-in? Like, your first engine start of the day on race day? Let the debate begin!
The simple answer is yes. Your engine gets the majority of its damaging wear when starting cold and revving the yikes out of it at very high RPM's, this is not good.

What do you gain by pre heating? More usable run time on your engine. The time you would spend starting and revving to generate enough heat to tune it for the air conditions is just wasting the engines life, not to mention the fuel burned. Most of us race on a budget, its a hobby, if you can increase your engines life, save on fuel, glow plugs, time, ease of tuning etc. The question is, why wouldn't you.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Lille-bror
Preheat before fire it up? Just turn the engine 5 minutes on the starterbox. Then its pretty warm and ready for the glowheater!!!!
I hope that's a joke . Sounds like a great way to wear out your engine fast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.