Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Using engine heater after break-in? >

Using engine heater after break-in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using engine heater after break-in?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Actually, they are all facts. Don't b ignorant
Old 11-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Champion

Old 11-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Engine "heaters" really should be called engine "warmers" anyway. Why is there this belief that just because one uses a heater their car is ready to drop on the starting grid... Even with a heater one still needs to drive the engine around to get it to proper temp and function.

Originally Posted by PERROTTO
.Preheating will give you better runtime because engines use more fuel when they are warming themselves up after a cold start
So are you implying those that use engine heaters are so dumb they don't come in to top-off before the race start?
Old 11-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm not implying that anyone is dumb. And actually around here we run 6 min qualifiers on club race days with a 2-2.5 min warm up. I throw the car on the track and never come back into pit lane because I have not used much fuel during warm up. This way I can also evaluate how the engine will react on low fuel conditions.

Obviously....this does not apply to the mains.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PERROTTO
The FACTS are:
.Preheating WILL prolong the engines life
.Preheating will give you better runtime because engines use more fuel when they are warming themselves up after a cold start
.Preheating will help you achieve an optimum tune FASTER
.Engine heaters are NOT a marketing gimmick BECAUSE it DOES have beneficial use for its users and does exactly what its supposed to
Originally Posted by am
Point one, not a fact
point two, not a fact
point three, probely right
point three, yes, this i belive in
PreHeating will prolong MOST engine life because of COLD Seizure that occurs when first fired up,parts not up to temp and have more friction on those parts until operating temps occur.....

i personally use the can,so evertime i start my motors they are at the same temp......i have been told by many Motor guru's that cold starting is a major factor in short engine life.........
We have all seen it....guy starts it up and pulls on the throttle until it is warm enough to run correctly,respond sharply...throughs it down.......

Every BOOK on EVERY motor tells you don't rev it on a stand!!..Have all 4 tires on the ground!!.....there your sign.....LMAO!!

with the Heat already in the motor.....idles like a kitten....no reving on the stand for me...
Old 11-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

Just as an update from the guy who started this thread, I am now 100% convinced that I will be buying a Competition Heat Deuce 12v heater and using it religiously. I plan to run a 12v gel cell in the starter box and rig up banana connectors to the box to power the heater, as a setup of convenience and high capacity . Can't wait!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Good choice!
Old 11-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Has anyone used Heatit from Europe? They are around 75 Euros with shipping and is 230V. Wont work in US, I guess. No DC version. I still find the heaters are expensive. Planning to get a B&D heat gun.

What are the parts that need heat?