Wiki Posts
Search

What's the best truggy motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 10:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What's the best truggy motor

Whats up guys, i need some advice on truggy motors. Right now I'm running a B6 pro and a B6 on my buggy. My pro has mad power but I want to put it on my buggy my B6 has a chipped piston skirt and it shouldn't be running but it does great and has great compression still but I feel like it could go at anytime. My question is should I stay with werks cause for the money it's a great engine or should I go with the O.S speed .21 engine. I'm trying to do my homework before I shell out the big bucks on the o.s. The hard core drivers at my track run o.s but I've had great luck with my werks. Should I stick with what I know or should I step out and go with O.S. I've only been racing for 6-8 months and I want the best equipment I can get. Any help would be appreciated and please give me the good and bad on the O.S engines. Thanks guys!
Old 10-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Tech Adept

I have some experience with O.S. engines and they are very good and pretty expensive, very responsive and good running but I have seen a few at my local track that just wouldn't tune at all but never had a problem with mine. Just wanted to try something new and got a Reedy 121vr for my buggy and my truggy and it runs awesome in both but the same thing as the O.S. at my track some guys have had problems with the Reedy as well. Heard really good things about the clockworks modified O.S. engines maybe check out Clockworks racing engines at http://www.clockworkracingengines.co...modded-engines
Old 10-29-2011, 11:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I would stick with what you know, B5 it truggy with 2013 works well....
Old 10-30-2011, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 380 (99%+)

Originally Posted by blade954
I would stick with what you know, B5 it truggy with 2013 works well....
I have to agree hands down the best bang for the buck. This is a great combo to run in truggy.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 154 (100%+)

I dont think there is any such thing as best truggy engine. There are alot of good ones out there and alot of different price ranges. Werks, os, novarossi, alpha are all great engines. Sorry if I left any out.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eightoffroader
Whats up guys, i need some advice on truggy motors. Right now I'm running a B6 pro and a B6 on my buggy. My pro has mad power but I want to put it on my buggy my B6 has a chipped piston skirt and it shouldn't be running but it does great and has great compression still but I feel like it could go at anytime. My question is should I stay with werks cause for the money it's a great engine or should I go with the O.S speed .21 engine. I'm trying to do my homework before I shell out the big bucks on the o.s. The hard core drivers at my track run o.s but I've had great luck with my werks. Should I stick with what I know or should I step out and go with O.S. I've only been racing for 6-8 months and I want the best equipment I can get. Any help would be appreciated and please give me the good and bad on the O.S engines. Thanks guys!
Have you tryed precirotate or ascendancy both are great motors. For the money they r hard to beat. I run the 3 port modified in my buggy its insane fast with great top end and you can get it for $174 on amain. Otherwise werks and alpha have proven to be great mills for around 200. I think os engines are over priced. And cant do anything that a 200 dollar motor cant do. This is my 2 cents
Old 10-30-2011, 06:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

my Clocked Bonito is my favorite truggy engine........ and I promise no $200.00 engine can do what this engine can do.... Massive 28 like torque, massive top end RPM...ultra smooth power delivery and a tuning window soo wide even a rookie could tune it......simply an amazing truggy engine.....
Old 10-30-2011, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

alpha a-352 .23 with a 2081 pipe....... great runtimes... great power.. great price also...... there are alot of good motors out on the market now.. look around the threads here on rctech and you will find the right one for you.. jeremy
Old 10-30-2011, 06:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Default best truggy motor

thanks for the feed back, i agree os is overpriced i think im gonna just stick with what i know. im gonna go with the B5 pro for my truggy!!
Old 10-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Good choice

Lance
RRenew
Old 10-30-2011, 10:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Truggies can be a tricky thing to fond the ideal engine for....Buggies and Truggies play by very different rules... How much traction you have available can play a dramatic role in how well a certain engine does...... If you run a loose track almost any engine will seem do fine...However if you run on a high traction surface you really start to see where some engines fall very short ..With he big tires a truggy can find a pile of grip which takes away the engines ability to spool up thru the front diff, and forces the engine to pull the load from a very low RPM...Which results in many engines starting to feel sluggish and lazy.... This becomes a real problem if your running on a technical layout which requires strong acceleration from a very low speed..Most buggy engines will fall flat on their faces in these conditions...which results in more difficulty in clearing the features, as well tends to force you to try to hit the features with more speed to make up for the laggy bottom end...........The higher the traction gets, the more difficult a truggy becomes to push...once you take away the ability to break traction and spool up the engines RPM thru the diff everything changes......A Buggy however is not nearly as affected when the traction gets high, the tires are still small enough to break free and the vehicle is a much lighter load to push.........

After a extensive season of on track testing on several layouts from high speed open to tight technical, and varying surface conditions, from loose marbles to 100% locked down full traction, I have seen first hand how some engines can shine in some conditions and fall flat on their faces in other conditions.... Because of the weight and big tires a Truggy can become a very heavy load very fast if the traction comes up....So I like to have an engine that can make big power from a low RPM, and if I run on the loose surface I can gear up or soften the clutch....a high torque engine with a low clutch stall is actually extremely tractable on a loose surface......
Old 10-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

+1 Great Choice!
Old 10-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Eightoffroader
Well, theres just no 1 answer to that question! Do you travel and race at different tracks? Or do you just race at your local track? If you just race at your local then you need to determine what type of powerband you need to be successful at your track based on the size and layout of it. Also, engine depends on your budget too! Personally I love my ClockWork modded O.S. 25xz! It has a very broad powerband with intense power everywhere, from top to bottom, and its great on fuel! But, its more of an engine for a bigger and more wide open track. Now that im starting to travel and race at different tracks, I have been thinking of getting a second engine too, one that will compliment the smaller and more technical type tracks.
I will say this about my O.S. though, I just tore it down to replace the rod and bearings and that thing is still in prestine condition and hasn't lost a bit of pinch now after 3 gallons, and it holds a tune like no other! I have also been eyeballing the Clocked Nova Bonito's too though Seems like a very good all around engine powerband wise.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

best bangs for the buck a Werks........
B5 with the 2013 pipes....

"Known" good truggy motors in General....
i mention "Known" since you'll see them "Allot"
and people seem to have pretty good luck with them
Nova P5 series motors...as well...
(P5,P5XL, P5XLT, 21-4 series)

but the B5 like the Nova no problem in the Grunt area..!!
they can MOVE..!!! for $199.00 it's a hard price to beat..!!!!
and they "Work"...

most places now carry parts for Werks motors as well not everywhere
but you'll get the general "Idea"
so if you need to replace something?
Nova and Werks can sometimes get "Localy"
which "For Some" is a little more Apealing to be able to "Walk In"
a hobby shop and get parts....