Fms vs. rb fire

Old 10-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 154 (100%+)
Default Fms vs. rb fire

How similiar if at all are these two 2 engines?
Old 10-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

In stock trim they share nearly identical timing specs...Once modified in a similar manner the Fire 11 has more bottom end..tho the FMS picked up a pile of bottom end from mods it did not pick up enough to match the mod Fire 11......
Old 10-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 154 (100%+)

Thanks Neal. That is the answer I was looking for
Old 10-30-2011, 09:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rceefreak
Thanks Neal. That is the answer I was looking for
I have been playing around with the modified Fire 11 and so far it has been amazing...Awesome low end power that rivals a Picco 21 and a top end that would make a FMS jealous.... And a tuning window so wide a idiot could tune it...... Simply put it is an awesome well rounded engine !
Old 10-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Tech Champion

IMO the Fire 11 and FMS are not timed properly for North American tracks....exhaust timing is too high and so is exhaust blowdown....this makes them very top end oriented and less punchy then I like them.... I modify these engines by reducing exhaust timing and reducing blowdown timing...Which gives them all the bottom end you could ever want...Then with changes to the engines balance I still manage to pull a big top end

video evidence of mod Fire 11...no BS or hearsay, actual video !

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

And here is video of modified FMS...modified to increase torque and make engine more useable on the track...A FMS with actual bottom end !

+ YouTube Video
Old 10-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Nice

Nice videos buddy....
Old 10-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Tech Adept

Nice videos Neal..In terms of power, can you compare the clocked RB Fire 11 vs the clocked OS Speed?
Old 10-31-2011, 11:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by joydude630
Nice videos Neal..In terms of power, can you compare the clocked RB Fire 11 vs the clocked OS Speed?
The Fire 11 is stronger with more RPM.....
Old 10-31-2011, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

looking for a deal on the fire 11 to try next season... anyone got any...
Old 10-31-2011, 11:26 AM
Tech Adept

How about the run times between both the engines?
Old 10-31-2011, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joydude630
How about the run times between both the engines?
the FMS was not the best in runtimes comparing to its brothers and sisters... but the latest RB's have had good runtimes... so my vote without any first hand knowledge will go to the RB
Old 10-31-2011, 04:04 PM
Tech Champion

well just for fun I stuck a 2013 on the F11... Holy Smokes ! this thing is badass on this pipe....Pushed the badlands effortlessly...excuse the dog barking in the background, I left my front window open and George really wanted to come out and play ! tomorrow I will shoot some more video of this pipe.....So far this is an awesome engine...piles of torque, easy tuning, never ending top end, all around top shelf !

+ YouTube Video
Old 10-31-2011, 06:42 PM
Tech Rookie

My son, Henry, & I have some first hand experience w/ the Rally 10 (R10). Let me say up front that it's an excellent mill, imo. I'll also apologize up front for the long post.

Rick Brake recommended the R10 to us in the fall of 2010. We needed something for a Losi 8 2.0 buggy, and Henry, my son, did not want a ballistic bottom end, but something with a linear feel to keep the tires hooked and make driving easier. Rick modded an R10 for us (ceramic rear bearing plus whatever Rick's mods are). Very reasonably priced; as an aside, absolute hobbyz had R10's on sale for $172 earlier this year.

The motor broke in extremely well. After about 1/2 gallon we had it on the track -- the Ohio RC Factory. As said earlier, the motor is really easy to tune (hell, if I can do it, anyone can). Early on, we were getting only 6:30 per tank. However, after ~2 gallons, we were right at the 10:00 mark to empty. This w/ the RB 2045P pipe, 192P header, old O'Donnell 30%, 7.0 carb insert, OS P4 plug, four Al shoes w/ two green and two gold springs.

We had been using two composite shoes and two Al shoes, but the composites would not last more than a weekend w/ the R10 (they'd last weeks w/ the RB B10 we had previously).

One of the layouts at The Factory had a slight bump about 1/3 down the main straight. Henry had to take it easy over the bump, otherwise the buggy would wheelie the entire rest of the straight. On two occasions, he had the buggy on the rear wing the entire length of the straight, having to dump it at the end so he could make the turn into a sweeper.

Henry had some good fortune at the Ohio State Indoor Championships and won Pro 1/8 scale buggy. He won it due to two things, imo: First, he can drive, but second, that R10 was just ballistic on the straight. He was in second place w/ 1 to 2 minutes to go. It was nip and tuck w/ the leader for a lap or so, but they entered the straight essentially dead-even. Henry opened up probably a one second lead through the straight and follow-on sweeper.

I heard a comment or two from others later that once Henry got about 5 feet out, it was game over.

We found the OS P4 plugs to not last well with this motor -- they often broke after cooling down after a qual or main. We tried the Orion #6 plug and that held up much better -- heck, those things just seem to refuse to die.

Also, we did try the RB 3001P pipe for two races after the OH State Champs race. We really wanted to get to 10:20 to empty, reliably. We found that pipe to not offer any economy improvements and to substantially reduce the 'grin factor' of the R10. It really made the motor pretty mellow and tame.

We put about 4 gallons on the R10 before the rear bearing seemed a little rough. So sent it to Rick for his assessment. Rick said the rod, bushing and crank were literally like new. There were some fine scores on the cylinder, which Rick said he could tell was not due to filtration problems, and wondered if I had let dirt get in when changing/inspecting the plug. He's probably right. Anyway, he gave it a small pinch, replaced the rear bearing, and that was it.

Henry has since stopped racing, much to my disappointment, so the R10 has a place of honor on my desk!

On edit: Forgot to mention that the Rally, Fire, and Classico are all essentially the same engine, going by the part numbers listed in the exploded views for each engine on the RB site. Different cooling heads and I think the Classico has a different front bearing.

Last edited by strangwz; 10-31-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:07 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kgombe
looking for a deal on the fire 11 to try next season... anyone got any...
good stuff

Last edited by houston; 10-31-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:47 PM
Tech Champion

I know the Rally and Fire are the same except the cooling head, but isn't the Classico totally different, and an onroad engine?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.