Need a new 21 engine

Old 09-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation Need a new 21 engine

Hi guys!

The thing is that I need a new .21 motor for my 1/8 buggy car.
The one I have on my car now is not so good anymore, so I need a new.

(sorry the forum wont let my post any urls yet...)

I'm thinking about this O.S. Engines .21VG w-New 21F Carb OSM13644 (can be found at rcplanet)

I already have one Max 18 in my other car, and I love it. The engine is very very reliable and so on.

But I got another recommendations, this RB Concept Sport 10 .21 3 Port Buggy Engine w/Pullstart (Standard Plug) (can be found at amainhobbies)

I don't know about this one, is this good?

Which one should I pick, or is there any other engines I should buy instead? I'm thinking about buying at those price levels as the two engines above.

Thank you guys for every answers.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Nothing?
Old 09-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Tech Adept

Whats your budget? Is it for racing or bashing?
Old 09-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

fusion X3 160
Team Orion Alpha Discovery 5 port 150 from Stormer
Old 09-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default My two cents

Being a beginning basher or expert racer the most important thing is to get a super reliable engine....

My top pic for the most reliable is the Novarossi p5...

I had a buddy with that 3 port rb and it just didn't have the torque to get over the jumps....

and the sport os motor has in the past been a decent engine, but every basher I've seem with those has worn them out pretty fast, and they leaked fuel all over the place...

The .21 3 port nova was a limited run for some strange reason....but thankfully the Fusion X 3 port is still being made, pretty much the same engine...I would get that one if 150 dollars is ur budget.

If you can swing 240 get the p5....

No matter what you do get an engine with a good carb....I see so many great engines with carbs that turn it into one irritation after another...So do some research first....
Old 09-19-2011, 07:37 AM
Tech Rookie

For bashing

Fushion X3 160, where can I get this? is this a good engine? never heard of it?
I also found out that is it: The X3 engine is perfect for entry level, practice, short tracks, indoor tracks, and spec racing classes.

Is it good for me?

And the Team orion is a little bit more expensive..

I have heard that Novarossi engines is not better then the O.S.
I have many places been recommended the O.S. 21XZ-B or the O.S 21VB(P).

I have also got an offer to buy an Argus A52 for $179.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If your gonna be racing I suggest the werks b6 pro
Old 09-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Tech Rookie

I think the Werks B6 Pro is a little bit to expensive for me.. I was thinking a little bit more cheaper.

But I'm probaly going to race a little bit in the future, but I also want to do some bashing.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:59 AM
Tech Champion

Werks B2 would be worth a look.

IMO the Argus A52 is a very good call - I'm currently breaking one in. They have a lot of pinch though, and need to be preheated during break-in. Same with Go, Alpha, Precirotate, etc.. All good engines, excellent value-for-money, but they have a lot of pinch when new, so require a longer break-in with a bit of know-how maybe. Though that said, with this Argus I have just been wrapping the head with alu foil and setting a hair drier on it (at a slight angle so it doesn't overheat.., allowing air to escape..) for 10 minutes or so before starting. And so far it's been very, very easy to tune..

The Werks engines have a good rep, and are meant to be a bit easier to break in... The B2 I hear has good grunt down low, but not much up top.. The main disadvantage with Werks engines IMO is that the pipes are so expensive. My guess would be that the Werks B2 is identical or nearly " to the new Orion 3-port.. - all Sirio-based engines..

Argus, Go(or Precirotate D5 - a rebadged Go GX 5R - as is the RB Killer 10 or 11 btw), Werks, Alpha - all excellent choices..

Never had a Fusion, but in that price range also doubtless a good contender.. I recently got a used buggy that came with a Nova P215S, and it's a pretty good, user-friendly, fast little engine..

Here in Germany the Picco P3R's are going very cheap, and I hear they are very good too. Picco generally produces powerful engines..

Hell, if you wanted to be REALLY cheap, I would think you could get a new Losi 350 with clutch and pipe and everything off ebay for 100 bucks or not too much more.. Not sure on that though. And to be honest, though I haven't had one, just by going on all the forum talk, I would tend to think that all the other above mentioned engines would be a better call though.

Werks, Argus, Alpha, Go, Precirotate, RB Killer 11, Fusion - all good stuff..

There really aren't too many c.rappy engines out at the moment, even in the more affordable (sub $200) price-range..
Old 09-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Okay thanks for answer.

But there is so many people who have recommended the O.S motor. How is XZ-B / VG(P) against the Argus for example?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

My vote wod be for the os xz engine. OS engines are easy to tune and user friendly which is great for an in experienced tuner. The p5 is a great engine too all depends on budget. But if you are just bashing what's the one thing that's most important to you?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Tech Rookie

I really don't know. I just want my engine so run nice and not have the problem where I'm tuning my engine more then I'm driving. That's really what I want.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Then an OS engine is what you want.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Tech Champion

If it has to be a pullstart engine, I think I heard in the onroad GT thread that the stock 3-port RB engine out of their RB One buggy is quite decent.. If you've heard that the OS is too, then it probably is.. OS generally has a good rep..(with some minor reservations about VSPEC conrods and bearings..)

The other engines that require a starterbox are probably gonna be a good deal faster though. But yeah, you need a starterbox...
Old 02-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm bringing this thread up again.

I have not found a suitable engine yet and now I'm thinking about (ofna) Picco engines.

I'm thinking about one of these here: (sorry, this forum wont let me post urls, but if you guys search picco engine on ebay and choose "new" and "engine" under parts, you'll see what engines im thinking about). I dont want to pay more then $200.

But as you guys can see, the engines from the link above, there are almost only 26 engines, can I use a 26 engine in my 1/8 car which I used to use 21 in?

Thanks for all answers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.