Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
O'donnell Speed Blend, wasted my time and money.. >

O'donnell Speed Blend, wasted my time and money..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

O'donnell Speed Blend, wasted my time and money..

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Default O'donnell Speed Blend, wasted my time and money..

Im going to be blunt but, STAY AWAY FROM O'DONNELL SPEED BLEND FUEL...

Since March 2011 (when i first got into the hobby) i've been using O'donnell Speed blend on my Nova P5xlt. My car has not held a tune since day one. I tried everything, changed over 10 glow plugs and not even got thru 2 gallons. Almost all the guys at the track have helped me tune it but no luck.
Last night I was at Revelation raceway in Pomona, having another frustrating night. Then it hit me, maybe its the fuel. I borrowed a tank full from a guy at the track, i started up the engine and that thing sounded like a new engine. The engine refused to stall. I was so happy and relieved . I thru away my last quart of Speed Blend in the trash. I have wasted over 5 months trying to tune the engine when the whole time the fuel was the problem.

To all the newbies out there, don't make the mistake i made.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I know guys who are using this fuel with great success. How did you store your fuel? Were did you buy it? Here in MN there was many guys who had bad luck with some sidewinder fuel. Turns out the guy selling it had it in his non heated garage over the sub zero winter. There is to many factors to pit it all on the fuel.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I use the fuel with great success. Sorry to hear you had a ruff time with it but it work great for me.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

by far, O'donnell has been the best fuel ive used and ive tried alot of different kinds of fuel.... OD fuel tunes a little differently, and once its tuned right, never have to touch the needles ... i wouldnt run anything other than OD fuel. i know alot of people trying it and all say they wont run anything else.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Maybe by chance you got a bad batch but I seriously doubt it was the fuel. I race against several guys running O'donnell fuel and they don't have any tuning issues.

It's never a good idea to Flame a particular brand of fuel or any other product due to an isolated issue you had.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Could have been a bad batch of fuel.

Unfortunately, it took 5 months to figure it out
Old 09-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

O'donnell is all i'll ever use. I switched from byrons to the new speed blend and have got nothing but goodthings from it.
Definatly had to b a bad batch.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Tech Initiate

I didn't mean to come out harsh this morning. It is definitely a possibility that i got a bad batch since everyone here is having such success with it. I just had a lot of built up frustration over the past few months with my engine constantly stalling and not tuning. I tried everything from changing the plugs, bearings (boca green seal) and even my clutch setup to found out it was my fuel the whole time. I wish you guys could've been there last night to see how my car was struggling with the o'donnell and then once I but Byrons into it the car changed and was running like it should.

I bought 4 quarts from Amain and for all for to be bad is kind of hard, but its a possibility. im just going to play it safe and go with Byrons for now. I really want to enjoy running my car without problems.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rider313
I know guys who are using this fuel with great success. How did you store your fuel? Were did you buy it? Here in MN there was many guys who had bad luck with some sidewinder fuel. Turns out the guy selling it had it in his non heated garage over the sub zero winter. There is to many factors to pit it all on the fuel.
I'd like to hear a response on this one too.

Also, was this problem confined to a single case / bottle of fuel, or did you have the same issue across multiple shipments? I keep my fuel in a coat closet in my house. The only time I've had fuel go bad is when I left a bottle in my garage for several months, so I don't do that anymore.

If the issues was truly fuel related, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that is was likely an isolated incident. Every brand of fuel can and will have problems. It's the nature of any mass produced product.

It's not really fair to condemn an entire brand because of your particular incident, which may or may not completely be the fault of the fuel.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

The people that make Odouls make LOTS of other fuel... so chances are you used a fuel from the same manufacturer anyway

You started off saying you ran 2 gallons of it, now you say you bought 4 qts from amain? Something doesnt add up. Youve only ran 2 quarts since march? I havent raced nitro since july and Ive ran more fuel than that, thats alot of storage time for both the fuel and engine to develope problems

just sayin
Old 09-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCelik
I didn't mean to come out harsh this morning. It is definitely a possibility that i got a bad batch since everyone here is having such success with it. I just had a lot of built up frustration over the past few months with my engine constantly stalling and not tuning. I tried everything from changing the plugs, bearings (boca green seal) and even my clutch setup to found out it was my fuel the whole time. I wish you guys could've been there last night to see how my car was struggling with the o'donnell and then once I but Byrons into it the car changed and was running like it should.

I bought 4 quarts from Amain and for all for to be bad is kind of hard, but its a possibility. im just going to play it safe and go with Byrons for now. I really want to enjoy running my car without problems.
Two weeks ago, my buddy had this same scenario with a bottle of Sidewinder. I pit for him, and I couldn't get his motors to stay running to save my life. Same deal, blown plugs, flame outs, etc...

Turns out the bottle of fuel that he had cracked the seal on that morning was funky....like I said above, it happens. It could have been sitting at Amain for a while, who knows.

Try some quarts from random shipments. If you consistently have problems with the Speed Blend, but those problems go away with another fuel, then you'll be able to eliminate the "bad batch" variable from the equation.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I have been having trouble too. The clear was good but the new orange stuff gives me heartburn. So I went back to drinking the clear stuff.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg B
I have been having trouble too. The clear was good but the new orange stuff gives me heartburn. So I went back to drinking the clear stuff.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Pull the lid off and take a big huff,if it burns your nose hairs and gives your brain a slight tingle its still good LOL.Seriously we've been running this fuel since its release and have had no problems.But with all fuels its possible to get a bad batch.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

It might be worth a call to hobbico, i bet they would take care of you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.