Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nosram RS.21 RR

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Tech Champion

If I sent this to get it modded, would it really make all that big a difference?

Here in Germany it seems there isn't so much hullabaloo about modding..

Normally I wouldn't bother, but I got this engine cheap enough, and since winter is about here it'll just be sitting around for six months anyway...

Not looking to argue with anyone either btw. I don't race seriously. I just want as much power across the board as possible, without totally sacrificing life-span. Run-time is secondary. Minimizing break-in hassle would be a plus. It would be going in an SC8 and DM-1, and maybe a buggy or truggy for the occasional race..
Old 10-25-2011, 11:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
If I sent this to get it modded, would it really make all that big a difference?

Here in Germany it seems there isn't so much hullabaloo about modding..

Normally I wouldn't bother, but I got this engine cheap enough, and since winter is about here it'll just be sitting around for six months anyway...

Not looking to argue with anyone either btw. I don't race seriously. I just want as much power across the board as possible, without totally sacrificing life-span. Run-time is secondary. Minimizing break-in hassle would be a plus. It would be going in an SC8 and DM-1, and maybe a buggy or truggy for the occasional race..
Don't know if you know/heard about this one:

http://www.first-racing.eu/index2.html

He's a pretty famous modder in Germany and surrounding countries. Does resize work aswell. Also has an interesting page with lots of timing numbers from various engines.

http://www.first-racing.eu/html/steuerzeiten.html
Old 10-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

Yeah, I've had him pinch a couple engines for me. I also contacted him and asked, and yeah, everything sounded fine. My only slight reservation is that you simply never hear anything about his engines in forums. I don't know, maybe Germans just don't brag as much about engines, or keep it secret or whatever ha ha.. But anyway, you reckon he's good then?..
Old 10-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah, I've had him pinch a couple engines for me. I also contacted him and asked, and yeah, everything sounded fine. My only slight reservation is that you simply never hear anything about his engines in forums. I don't know, maybe Germans just don't brag as much about engines, or keep it secret or whatever ha ha.. But anyway, you reckon he's good then?..
Never used him myself, but from what i've heard yes. Does good Mod and resize work.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Just ran my NOSRAM (bone stock) with a 086 pipe and a very short ) shaped header - shorter than the Novarossi 41021 header. I was VERY impressed with the power and it just kept eating revs, and there was only 6 mm venturi in the carb!

Perhaps the right pipe will be enough for you instead of a mod, Herrsavage
Old 10-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Tech Champion

I have the 2063 pipe for it. I also already had one Nosram 21RR, and yeah, I loved it.. Great power and revs.. I was just wondering if it's worth trying to get more out of it.. You know how it is - you get to a certain level, you want to try the next one.. But yeah, stock they do really rip...
Old 02-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Tech Champion

I have a chance to get some Picco P5TC and P6TC plugs for cheap.. Are they the right ones for all the Picco-based offroad engines, or only for onroad?
Old 02-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

My NOSRAM ain't sensitive to glowplugs. Normally I run Novarossi C5TGC or what ever lies in my box of used glowplugs . In the winther I run the very hot O'Donnell 77T plug.
I've heard good things about the Picco plugs, so they should be just fine.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Tech Champion

Well, I won three for €9,75 shipped.. Could have had some P6TC's too, but held off cuz I wasn't sure..

I now have three Picco P5TC's, one Werks #6, and two OD 97T's to work with for my Nosram, Argus, and RB F11....

How you getting on with your Nosram btw? Kind of funny.. Picco seemed to die off for a bit.. Now they seem to be back with the Boost 5T or whatever it's called, the Reds, the VOX, etc...

I guess the Jammin JPX and Nosram and Picco-built LRP's are all discontinued now..
Old 02-14-2012, 08:21 AM
Tech Champion

So is a P5TC going to be hot enough for breaking in a Jammin JPX .21 and RB Fire 11?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

Try it and form your own opinion. If the engines can keep a steady idle during the first tanks of fuel at a little rich setting (a little higher than normal idlespeed) with a little rich setting, it's fine
Old 02-24-2012, 12:06 AM
Tech Champion

OK, I've decided to send this thing away to get modded. The modder has a long list of mods he can do, with the full program costing about €105. My question is, I can cut some of that down, so what are the main mods I should be looking at? I'm not going to be racing against Maifield and co anytime soon. I want good power(well, silly power actually..), but also a nice powerband, an easier break-in, and hopefully not to sacrifice too much of the engine's lifetime. Run-time is not critical - though I want more than three minutes to a tank..

For ex., he offers balancing the crank TWICE, polishing this and that, modding the backplate, tungsten inserts, etc... What do I need, and what is supefluous? Just looking for a powerhouse really - something to make me grin when I get on it.., that is still easy to tune and break in, and that will last 6+ gallons. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:24 AM
Tech Regular

For ex., he offers balancing the crank TWICE, polishing this and that, modding the backplate, tungsten inserts, etc... What do I need, and what is supefluous? Just looking for a powerhouse really - something to make me grin when I get on it.., that is still easy to tune and break in, and that will last 6+ gallons. Thanks.
Timing = power. Teardrops, polishing etc is just cosmetics in your case. Maybe if he changes is so that you get lot more top then the balancing might be something to consider.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:46 AM
Tech Champion

Well, all modded, piped, clutched, and ready for break-in. Just need the weather and the time...

Roughly translated from German, this is what First said he did:

("Kurbelwelle doppelt gewuchtet
Kurbelwelle hohlgebohrt +mit Silikon vergossen + Steuerzeiten angepasst
Laufgarnitur geportet, Steuerzeiten angepasst und ans Gehäuse angepasst.
LG poliert
Leichte Modifikationen am Gehäuse")

1.) Crankshaft double-balanced
2.) crank drilled and filled with silicone and timing matched
3.) sleeve ported, timing matched and fit into case
4.) sleeve polished
5.) slight mods to case

Pipe is a Nosram 2063, plug is a Picco P5TC, fuel will be Tornado %25 with %12 oil, going in the SC8 for break-in, then later probably the RC8.2 for silliness on the track I hope.. Am keen to see how this will compare to the stock RB Fire 11, my other engine for this year..

Old 03-13-2012, 03:51 AM
Tech Master

What pipe is that? 3038?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.