R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Offroad Nitro Engine Forum (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum-157/)
-   -   Byrons vs Sidewinder Fuel (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum/545231-byrons-vs-sidewinder-fuel.html)

Muggydude 08-25-2011 08:36 PM

Byrons vs Sidewinder Fuel

(Yes I use the search function, nothing came up)

I'm just curious how people who have tried both think about these two fuels (byrons race gen 2 and sidewinder strike team)

Lille-bror 08-25-2011 09:06 PM

Hi.

There isnt any more SideWinder here in Denmark, so all who normally uses SideWinder are running Byron right now. They have to lean the HSN when going from SideWinder to Byron.

808gx7r 08-25-2011 09:10 PM

i also found i had to richen HSN when i switched to sidewinder

Muggydude 08-25-2011 09:12 PM

LOL- that's not what I'm asking. I want to knoiw any performance, temp, or run time differences.

NitroXray80809 08-25-2011 09:27 PM

I ran sidewinder and byrons. My lhs stopped selling byrons when team strike came out. I like both fuels but my choice is byrons. I did notice (for me) the sidewinder did make my engine run cooler but not much, which allowed me to lean it a little. Not much so i didnt really gain anything but a little is more then nothing, BUT sidewinder didn't seem to be as consistant as byrons. I like byrons more and thats my opinion but now my most favorite fuel is cold fusion. With byrons and sidewinder i always got alot of carbon build up and the cf burns alot smoother and seems to leave internals nicely oiled but leaving engine clean. So if i had a choice the byrons would be it out of those 2. But honestly there both good and the purple fuel looks cool if you like colors but when it comes down to it, they both do there job and both are provin fuels. So get what is more popular because its always noce to go to any tracks knowing u can get some if ur low or somthing happens.

Sylvain 08-26-2011 06:10 AM

Last year I ran Byron G2 30% and I LOVED it. Unfortunately, I can't get Byron this year. I switched to SideWinder Race 30% and I had to richen all the needles.

No real difference in performance between both fuels however, my engines were easier to tune with the Byron and they had less "burnt oil residues" on the piston top. Also, my engines with Byron fuels tend to run cooler.

Sidewinder is an excellent fuel but from my experiences ( and I don't want to start a fight here), Byron is better.

chenzo 08-26-2011 07:12 AM

yung dumb come talk to me at the track and I will talk to you there and let you try some strik team 30%. Strike team is better for me. At rat I gave you my Byrons that should tell you somthing..

Grape drink:nod::nod::nod:

Lille-bror 08-26-2011 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 (Post 9575282)
I ran sidewinder and byrons. My lhs stopped selling byrons when team strike came out. I like both fuels but my choice is byrons. I did notice (for me) the sidewinder did make my engine run cooler but not much, which allowed me to lean it a little. Not much so i didnt really gain anything but a little is more then nothing, BUT sidewinder didn't seem to be as consistant as byrons. I like byrons more and thats my opinion but now my most favorite fuel is cold fusion. With byrons and sidewinder i always got alot of carbon build up and the cf burns alot smoother and seems to leave internals nicely oiled but leaving engine clean. So if i had a choice the byrons would be it out of those 2. But honestly there both good and the purple fuel looks cool if you like colors but when it comes down to it, they both do there job and both are provin fuels. So get what is more popular because its always noce to go to any tracks knowing u can get some if ur low or somthing happens.

I found that any top fuel burns clean (gold or transparent) if you just use a hot enough glow plug and/or high enough compression ratio. You can use colder plugs for leaner HSN with a rather new engine, but after approx. 3 gallons you'll have to use warmer plugs to have a trouble free engine that doesn't flame after e.g. pitstops.

Always remember to use AFO after each day on the track!!! (Run the engine empty of fuel before adding AFO)

rdeppen 08-26-2011 10:25 AM

I've run both and now run Sidewinder Strike Team 30%. Byrons is great fuel and is very consistent bottle to bottle and leaves the engine with a nice coat of oil inside.

BUT Strike Team runs cooler and makes more run time. It's pretty significant also. I found in back to back tests I picked up almost 60 seconds or 2 laps at my home track. It has less oil and is 100% synthetic. Byron's still uses a little castor in its blend and I believe its 11% oil also? Anyone racing 2 stroke motors at a high level (125cc GP bikes, GP boat motors) all use 100% synthetic oil package nowadays because it makes the most power.

Our current motors are so good I honestly couldn't tell a difference in power but temps and runtime don't lie....... :D

Muggydude 08-26-2011 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by chenzo (Post 9576444)
yung dumb come talk to me at the track and I will talk to you there and let you try some strik team 30%. Strike team is better for me. At rat I gave you my Byrons that should tell you somthing..

Grape drink:nod::nod::nod:

Will do, I may switch next season. I finish out this one with the byrons I have left.

bcarter007 08-26-2011 09:01 PM

byrons leaves a nasty carbon residue inside ur motor...p/r/s....truthfully cant stand the stuff.....ran byrons gen1 and liked it then gen2 came out ran it till i signed with eb mods....then that was short lived and went back to gen2 only because a local racer buys 20 cases a yr so i got it cheap, but paid the price with performance and alot of tuning issues.....will never run byrons again.....just my 2 cents....jesse robbers runs sidewinders and he seems to like it so id go with that in a heartbeat....gl

vypr2002 08-26-2011 09:23 PM

dumbgun, I dont run either anymore, of the two I liked grape drank better.
I run S&W right now and can tell you it's GOOD. Ill give ya some if you wanna try it. lower temps, better lubrication, and that oh so great fish smell:lol::lol::lol:

bcarter007 08-26-2011 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by vypr2002 (Post 9579304)
dumbgun, I dont run either anymore, of the two I liked grape drank better.
I run S&W right now and can tell you it's GOOD. Ill give ya some if you wanna try it. lower temps, better lubrication, and that oh so great fish smell:lol::lol::lol:

grape drank? :sweat: lol....fish:eek: