Werks b5 "race prep" motor

Old 08-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Werks b5 "race prep" motor

Partly broken in by factory.....

Is it worth it? Do they preheat it well so the rod if not stressed? Or is it just fired up, idled at any old temp for a few tanks and then shipped?

They claim it is inspected before and after break-in - it is a glance to see it doesn't have a 1" long drill shaving in there or is it INSPECTED ?

Can anyone shed some light on it?

Hard to decide between a Werks B5 race prep, and an OS V-spec when there is like $40 or something between them.
I suspect the OS is a whole lot more engine, and the Werks race prep is more about marketing and a bit of a fire-up, rather than a scientific careful break-in and x-raying parts and measuring conrod length and precise piston to bore fit. ???

Last edited by Mark _australia; 08-11-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Tech Regular

Why do you think / suspect the V-spec is "a whole lot more engine"?

The Werks B5 is a populair powerfull long lasting engine. Probably more engine then the V-spec (power wise).
Old 08-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

http://rcrenew.com/services.html

Here is how hte break in is done.

I have RCRenew do all my break-ins and it is well worth it..
Old 08-11-2011, 03:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Ambros303
Why do you think / suspect the V-spec is "a whole lot more engine"?

The Werks B5 is a populair powerfull long lasting engine. Probably more engine then the V-spec (power wise).
Well OK maybe it was a bit of a harsh comment . I just see a whole lot more people using the V-spec worldwide whereas Werks seem predominantly a USA thing. Not saying the Werks is bad, just there is so many more people running it which would suggest it may be better... if the Werks was better a lot of those people would go out of their way to order one from the USA

And thanks KThatcher - nice to know how it is done. I'd still like to know what "inspect" means though. Any Werks or RCRenew people here?

Ta
Old 08-11-2011, 04:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Mark

I would stay in the OS camp with you being up near Jurien bay most shops in Perth have the Parts in stock if you need some thing in a hurry. Werks is a great engine but tune very different to the OS. There is an Australia Distributor in QLD bringing some Werks gear in if you are interested....pro buggy is the name of the store in QLD..
Old 08-11-2011, 06:13 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks Jason

But I am looking at cheap and $260 to my door for a B5 part run in and supposedly "inspected" means less problems later maybe (?) and the price is nice

Only investigating at this stage, in case my WS7II I bought secondhand turns out to be a POS lol. Other options will be a good good secondhand motor from somebody trustworthy at RRC so I m not yet committed
Old 08-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mark _australia
Well OK maybe it was a bit of a harsh comment . I just see a whole lot more people using the V-spec worldwide whereas Werks seem predominantly a USA thing. Not saying the Werks is bad, just there is so many more people running it which would suggest it may be better... if the Werks was better a lot of those people would go out of their way to order one from the USA

And thanks KThatcher - nice to know how it is done. I'd still like to know what "inspect" means though. Any Werks or RCRenew people here?

Ta
Hi Mark, the reason that you see more people using our engines in the US is because we are based in the US. This is our backyard and we are active at races etc. If you take a look at RB you will find they are most popular in France also, simply because they are there. Come to the US and you see nearly none of them. We are expanding globally but it takes a little while to do this lol, there are some of the legacy brands are pretty entrenched but all it takes is a couple of people in one country (just like you) trying our stuff and seeing how good they perform compared to the stuff that they are used to and also the value that they represent.

Now to answer your question from the first post the stock B5 makes more power than the standard V-Spec or it's replacement. For our "Race Prep" engines the process from start to finish is the engine is taken apart and cleaned and inspected, then lubed and assembled. Engine is then installed in an engine break in bench, engine is pre heated, then started and the bench automatically runs a pre-programmed break in routine (it's computer controlled) varying RPM, time at certain RPM's etc. etc. for 500cc of fuel. Then engine is taken out of bench, taken apart, inspected again, lubed again and boxed up/shipped out. Honestly it's quite a bit of work and I hope that helps explain things a little better!

Regards,

Ron
Old 08-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Ron
I did have to laugh when you said about people having to try something different cos peopel can be funny like that. When I joined a buggy club in about 1999-2000 I bought an OS motor and as a noob had no idea. Just got what the LHS was a quality race motor. EVERYBODY at the club rubbished the engine and said I had to have a Nova like their. 90% of them ran Nova and would not even think about OS. After along break I have visited the club and so many of them are running OS now. Hmmmmm Gotta be open minded.

I appreciate a reply from the owner which is a rarity with bigger companies so I will definitely consider a Werks more strongly now.

But sorry you still didn't answer one question - what is inspected?

I'd like to be reassured that "inspected" means less problems later.
Like if you said the conrod was measured for length and bushing size / play, or the crank checked for balance and runout / concentricity.
Or if you said as result of inspection a certain percentage of motors are thrown in the bin.
Are the seals replaced - cos every time it is torn down is one less time I can tear it down without needing new seals.

Inspected could just mean a visual to make sure the bore is not scratched and nothing is visually wrong - which is a bit subjective.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Why can't u edit the title? Grrr
That is obviously Werks B5 race prep

Partly broken in by factory.....

Is it worth it? Do they preheat it well so the rod if not stressed? Or is it just fired up, idled at any old temp for a few tanks and then shipped?

They claim it is inspected before and after break-in - it is a glance to see it doesn't have a 1" long drill shaving in there or is it INSPECTED ?

Can anyone shed some light on it?

Hard to decide between a Werks B5 race prep, and an OS V-spec when there is like $40 or something between them.
I suspect the OS is a whole lot more engine, and the Werks race prep is more about marketing and a bit of a fire-up, rather than a scientific careful break-in and x-raying parts and measuring conrod length and precise piston to bore fit. ???
i can... all fixed.. jeremy
Old 08-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks Ron
I did have to laugh when you said about people having to try something different cos peopel can be funny like that. When I joined a buggy club in about 1999-2000 I bought an OS motor and as a noob had no idea. Just got what the LHS was a quality race motor. EVERYBODY at the club rubbished the engine and said I had to have a Nova like their. 90% of them ran Nova and would not even think about OS. After along break I have visited the club and so many of them are running OS now. Hmmmmm Gotta be open minded.

I appreciate a reply from the owner which is a rarity with bigger companies so I will definitely consider a Werks more strongly now.

But sorry you still didn't answer one question - what is inspected?

I'd like to be reassured that "inspected" means less problems later.
Like if you said the conrod was measured for length and bushing size / play, or the crank checked for balance and runout / concentricity.
Or if you said as result of inspection a certain percentage of motors are thrown in the bin.
Are the seals replaced - cos every time it is torn down is one less time I can tear it down without needing new seals.

Inspected could just mean a visual to make sure the bore is not scratched and nothing is visually wrong - which is a bit subjective.
There is very little ever thrown in the bin lol as we have very few issues with our engines. As mentioned everything is taken apart and visually inspected for any irregularities and or issues. We are not weighing cranks and checking run out etc like might be done on a so called team engine for a worlds or something like that (even though we just ran a stock (non hand matched) engine with ceramic bearing at the last one). The level of detail that you are looking for is not going to be found for the price that we are charging lol, it's frankly a time killer doing the race prep engines as it is. Regarding the seals being replaced, I'm guessing by this you mean o-rings? If so there is no need to do that after just running it on a break in bench and pulling the engine apart twice. If there is any damage to the o-rings that is noticed though they are replaced. Hope this helps answer your questions.

Regards,

Ron
Old 08-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default REPLY

It really is a no brainer, werks, werks, werks

More power than the o.s and you wont have to replace rods in the werks like you will in the o.s
Old 08-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by savagesam
It really is a no brainer, werks, werks, werks

More power than the o.s and you wont have to replace rods in the werks like you will in the o.s
Thank you Sam, couldnt of said it better. Love my WERKS, sticking with WERKS.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

They are really great engines. Italian quality for Taiwan prices. Not much to consider.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Tech Adept

Sweet.

I'm getting there
Old 08-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (64%+)

i brought a werks and its should be getting to my door in about a week its going in to the truggy i got with the matching pipe
i am looking at buying a other one soon i get some cash to put it in my buggy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.