Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
I am pretty new to nitro and need new engine which one should i get? >

I am pretty new to nitro and need new engine which one should i get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I am pretty new to nitro and need new engine which one should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default I am pretty new to nitro and need new engine which one should i get?

I am new to nitro but not racing and my Losi 8b 2.0 came with a Ninja jx.21 but it has 5+ gallons thru it also leaky front bearing. Anyway I am going to get new .21 and I have a couple choices Losi/Nova r21, Orion Alpha 3 port/ceramics, 121vrReedy blue head , or b5 pro. They are all about the same price except the Reedy its only 175. Which one would be best for med size track and decent driving skills I have a re10 and re11. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by savannahmick
I am new to nitro but not racing and my Losi 8b 2.0 came with a Ninja jx.21 but it has 5+ gallons thru it also leaky front bearing. Anyway I am going to get new .21 and I have a couple choices Losi/Nova r21, Orion Alpha 3 port/ceramics, 121vrReedy blue head , or b5 pro. They are all about the same price except the Reedy its only 175. Which one would be best for med size track and decent driving skills I have a re10 and re11. Thanks!
I would go B5 but you need to get a pipe with it... You can get the non-Pro version with a pipe (you want the Werks 2058) for ~275 on tower w/ their discount codes...

If you really don't want to get a new pipe then your only decent option is the Nitrotec (I'm guessing that is the Losi/Nova engine you are talking about)
Old 08-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Tech Addict

Default So the pipes i have Losi re10 and re11 will only work with Nitrotec?

I think the re10 and re11 are the same as OS 2050 and 2060 are they compatible with any of the motors I listed? Also is a guide to pipes and eyngines anywhere ? Thanks again!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Tech Champion

If you're new to nitro as cheap as possible might be a good idea..
Old 08-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Tech Adept

I think the re10 and re11 are the same as OS 2050 and 2060 are they compatible with any of the motors I listed? Also is a guide to pipes and eyngines anywhere ? Thanks again!
Compatible, yes they will work but they aren't even close to optimal...

Re-10 = OS 2050
Re-11 = ??? (definitely not the 2060)
Nova engines like Nova Pipes but will work ok with the Losi pipes (note that I said ok and not great)
Don't bother with anything but the 2013 or 2058 B5 or Orion motor...
Old 08-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Ill get the Losi R21 hands down, being NEW you dont need no super fast engine.

Let the hatin begin.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Fusion X3.

Best carb in the business.

Will run on nearly any pipe, takes inexpensive standard plugs, Novarossi quality.

I'd pick up a handful of McCoy MC8 plugs; Byron's 20/11 fuel and a Dynamite 086; or 053 pipe set and call it a day. Inexpensive, but good-performing setup.

If you're feeling spendy, get a Novarossi 41021 manifold and a 9901 or 2096 pipe. You'll use this setup later if you progress to any Novarossi based engine.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Tech Adept

Nova's are definitely awesome engines and the R21 is no slouch they especially shine when you pair them up with nova pipes... The only thing I have against nova is that the but the pipes/headers are absurdly expensive last time I checked and don't come with manifolds...

I always found that for some reason there is a direct correlation between how much I pay for a pipe and how fast it gets destroyed by a newbie on the track
Old 08-03-2011, 02:12 PM
am
Tech Master

You know what, nearly evry engine from OS, Nova, RB, and Picco, just to name witch engines i have experience with, are just great engines!! No doubt abaout it. And some of the engines i have never ever touched is also great engines.

There is a few pointers i have to might get you in the direction that is best for you. Now, some of the things i will write, many will disagree with, but that i do not care abaout. My 25 years of experience in RC and 13 years of nitro racing maks my skin real thick... LOL!! I am partyally spnsored by the Norwegian Novarossi distributer this year, this was the diclamer.. hehehe. I think it is important that this comes into the open at once, as many semi or full factory drivers never say that they are sponsored, so their points of views is biased.

1. go with an engine brand that is well known and have been araound for a looong time. They know what they are doing and time have shown that they hacve expereince to do what actually works. Novarossi OS and RB is engines i would recomend. Personally, i like Novarossi the moast, then OS. RB is great engines, but i did not like their engines so much for the last 5-6 years. last two years i have been racing Nova +4 but 4 years before i have been on OS engines.

2. What is the moast used engine at the tracks you will go paracticing and race? Look at the fast guys, but try to find the guys that are sponsored by their own wallet. As much respect i have for the factory drivers and semisponsored guys, they are still "paid" to race that brand of engines they have in their cars, Period. (it is not even a statment that is up for discussion!! Only one time i have heard of a sponsored guy taking out his engine was this yeas nats in USA, were some dude took out his N`vision engine and put in an OS instead..) Ofcoarse, Pro`s know what they are doing and if they behave like pros sould, they`ll help you when you ask. The fast privateers that have been racing fore some years have built up their experinece the hard wa, and probely used a lot od bucks to know what they know today, so their experience is just as important as the Pros`s.

3. Do not "waste" your mony on tuned engines before you have experience. use your mony on Fuel, tires and spareparts for your cars. If f. eks you do get a Novarossi +4, 2010 edition engine, you will get an engine that is extreamly good on smooth power delivery, fuelconsumption and easy to tune. This is my favorite buggy engine of all times!! The new BTT is 60-80 bucks higher priced and the difference is not worth the mony, again, use it on fuel, tires and parts. That is what makes you a better driver. Not the fastest benchracer, with the fastest engine he can not drive.. ( this is the "paragraph" that i tink alot of people will desagree on, but, when you get the experience, then it si time for you to move ahead.

4. practice how to tune your engine. Try to move your needles a roaund a little so you know what happends when soemthings are changing. Also, remeber if your engine suddenly acts up like a crack ho, the engine itself is very rearly the problem. Check all fueline, exhast gaskets and switch glowplug and/or fueltank.

5. Have fun when you learn. At one point, you will have problems. Evry one of us have had it, that is experience. Ask the locals what to do and do not be afraid to ask for help. Better to do that than ruin your engine :-(

And, last. In my experiance, do not waste mony on engine warmers and that stuff. gently warm your engine on the box before hitting the track. Change your airfilter often!. 10 minutes with a bad airfilter damage your engine alot moore than coldstarts ever will. One eception is when running in your engine, it makes it easyer for the starterboks and the internal parts of the engine while new.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by am
You know what, nearly evry engine from OS, Nova, RB, and Picco, just to name witch engines i have experience with, are just great engines!! No doubt abaout it. And some of the engines i have never ever touched is also great engines.

There is a few pointers i have to might get you in the direction that is best for you. Now, some of the things i will write, many will disagree with, but that i do not care abaout. My 25 years of experience in RC and 13 years of nitro racing maks my skin real thick... LOL!! I am partyally spnsored by the Norwegian Novarossi distributer this year, this was the diclamer.. hehehe. I think it is important that this comes into the open at once, as many semi or full factory drivers never say that they are sponsored, so their points of views is biased.

1. go with an engine brand that is well known and have been araound for a looong time. They know what they are doing and time have shown that they hacve expereince to do what actually works. Novarossi OS and RB is engines i would recomend. Personally, i like Novarossi the moast, then OS. RB is great engines, but i did not like their engines so much for the last 5-6 years. last two years i have been racing Nova +4 but 4 years before i have been on OS engines.

2. What is the moast used engine at the tracks you will go paracticing and race? Look at the fast guys, but try to find the guys that are sponsored by their own wallet. As much respect i have for the factory drivers and semisponsored guys, they are still "paid" to race that brand of engines they have in their cars, Period. (it is not even a statment that is up for discussion!! Only one time i have heard of a sponsored guy taking out his engine was this yeas nats in USA, were some dude took out his N`vision engine and put in an OS instead..) Ofcoarse, Pro`s know what they are doing and if they behave like pros sould, they`ll help you when you ask. The fast privateers that have been racing fore some years have built up their experinece the hard wa, and probely used a lot od bucks to know what they know today, so their experience is just as important as the Pros`s.

3. Do not "waste" your mony on tuned engines before you have experience. use your mony on Fuel, tires and spareparts for your cars. If f. eks you do get a Novarossi +4, 2010 edition engine, you will get an engine that is extreamly good on smooth power delivery, fuelconsumption and easy to tune. This is my favorite buggy engine of all times!! The new BTT is 60-80 bucks higher priced and the difference is not worth the mony, again, use it on fuel, tires and parts. That is what makes you a better driver. Not the fastest benchracer, with the fastest engine he can not drive.. ( this is the "paragraph" that i tink alot of people will desagree on, but, when you get the experience, then it si time for you to move ahead.

4. practice how to tune your engine. Try to move your needles a roaund a little so you know what happends when soemthings are changing. Also, remeber if your engine suddenly acts up like a crack ho, the engine itself is very rearly the problem. Check all fueline, exhast gaskets and switch glowplug and/or fueltank.

5. Have fun when you learn. At one point, you will have problems. Evry one of us have had it, that is experience. Ask the locals what to do and do not be afraid to ask for help. Better to do that than ruin your engine :-(

And, last. In my experiance, do not waste mony on engine warmers and that stuff. gently warm your engine on the box before hitting the track. Change your airfilter often!. 10 minutes with a bad airfilter damage your engine alot moore than coldstarts ever will. One eception is when running in your engine, it makes it easyer for the starterboks and the internal parts of the engine while new.
+1000 except I have had a lot of great success with Werks :P
Old 08-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Tech Addict

Default Yeah i am new to 1/8 scale nitro but ran 1/10 nitro SCT for a while.

I also have been running well in my local points series with my almost new Losi 8b 2.0 that I got from a Losi factory driver so it had almost all upgrades the last race was won by a Pro driver and I was only 2 laps down after 30 min A-Main . Anyway what I am trying to say I am driving a fully upgraded and setup buggy with a jx .21 that still screams past most buggy on my track off corners just leaky bearing and age on motor but I want to get a good quality engine with good performance for under 300. I am really considering R21 but I heard break-in is long and tough. Orion has a pipe and motor combo for 280 with ceramics and 3 port but it's not the CRF crank is this a decent deal? Finally I might just get a reg. B6 with pipe but everybody at my track either has a B5 or B6 and I know thats for a reason (cheap/fast/reliable?/) but really would like to try something different. Have you guys had good luck buying used motors on this site? Thanks I just don't want to regret a purchase!
Old 08-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Tech Adept

I also have been running well in my local points series with my almost new Losi 8b 2.0 that I got from a Losi factory driver so it had almost all upgrades the last race was won by a Pro driver and I was only 2 laps down after 30 min A-Main . Anyway what I am trying to say I am driving a fully upgraded and setup buggy with a jx .21 that still screams past most buggy on my track off corners just leaky bearing and age on motor but I want to get a good quality engine with good performance for under 300. I am really considering R21 but I heard break-in is long and tough. Orion has a pipe and motor combo for 280 with ceramics and 3 port but it's not the CRF crank is this a decent deal? Finally I might just get a reg. B6 with pipe but everybody at my track either has a B5 or B6 and I know thats for a reason (cheap/fast/reliable?/) but really would like to try something different. Have you guys had good luck buying used motors on this site? Thanks I just don't want to regret a purchase!
I would steer clear of used engines if at all possible...

The best "bang for your buck" is going to be the B6/2057 combo from tower... Followed by the R21... Orion makes good engines as well (made by LM the same company that manufactures Werks) but I have personally had had bad luck with their ceramic bearings...

One more thing that will be helpful to you is that if everyone already runs Werks at your track you will have a ton of advice available to you from local drivers...
Old 08-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

IF you decide to go with the B6, you will be forever happy. SUPER easy to break in and TREMENDIOUS factory(ron hopkins) support. i have three B5's for my 8T 2.0....one is a pro. all broken in and ALL run great. at one time, all i ran were os's and ninjas and would never think of ever running(racing) a werks. but now, i race with nothing else.........total satisfaction.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)

Originally Posted by am

i have to respectfully disagree with you. Heating the engine everytime you fire it is a good habit to have. You dont necessarily need an engine warmer, but you can grab a cheap heat gun from Harbor Freight that will do the trick. Heating allows the sleeve to expand and takes stress off of all the internal parts when you fire, which in turn makes the engine last a LOT longer. Not only that, but you get the engine up to operating temperature immediately, so you can begin adjusting tune right away. tuning the engine while its cold gets you nowhere as the tune will change when it does get to operating temperature.

Take it from a guy that's been around it a while and has learned the hard way

1. Buy a quality engine, the Novarossi N21, Losi Nitrotec or Fusion X3 are awesome mills, very reliable and of course Nova quality. OS are also good, stout engines for a real good price. RB are good as long as you buy the RB-manufactured ones(not the killer or the sport engines). I've seen some Werks, seem to be very good as well.

2. keep it clean, everything, car, engine, airfilters, tires. A clean car is a happy car

3. Heat you engine, especially during break-in, and ideally the entire time you own it.

4. Practice, Practice, Practice
Old 08-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

You CAN pinch and re-bearing your current engine. At 5 gallons it still may have some life left.

If you go B6, go with the 2013 or 2058. The 2057 even with the extender was a little soft for me down low. Just put a Sirio 2013 on it and it woke the bottom end up nicely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.