Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
my engine stops when the buggy is upside down >

my engine stops when the buggy is upside down

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

my engine stops when the buggy is upside down

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default my engine stops when the buggy is upside down

Hi there I have an OS engine on my 1/8 buggy, I use a d8 fuel tank.
When I flip over and my buggy is upside down, if I have run more that half of the fuel on the tank the engine stalls after 5 seconds.
It seems it is running out of fuel. There is a clunk on the tank in order to overcome this problem, but unfortunatelly it is working only if the tank is 50% -100% full of fuel, from 0% - 50% the clunk is not working.

Do you have any advice about that ?
Old 07-16-2011, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mike80
Hi there I have an OS engine on my 1/8 buggy, I use a d8 fuel tank.
When I flip over and my buggy is upside down, if I have run more that half of the fuel on the tank the engine stalls after 5 seconds.
It seems it is running out of fuel. There is a clunk on the tank in order to overcome this problem, but unfortunatelly it is working only if the tank is 50% -100% full of fuel, from 0% - 50% the clunk is not working.

Do you have any advice about that ?
Replace the short length of fuel tube in the tank it is way too stiff
Old 07-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

yup replace the fuel line in the tank and make sure the clunk is able to "clunk" hold car up side down and see if the clunk falls to the bottom or not...
Old 07-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ubersquid
Replace the short length of fuel tube in the tank it is way too stiff

I have replace it, and it is working fine when i turn it upside down.
The problem from what i imagine is that when the buggy is upside down the rear of the car is higher than the front hence the fuel goes at the front side of the tank which cause the clunk to fail and stall the engine.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

well the 100% solution dont flip over when the tank is half empty lol I dont know what else to tell ya I have never had this issue with my D8
Old 07-16-2011, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blktransam
well the 100% solution dont flip over when the tank is half empty lol I dont know what else to tell ya I have never had this issue with my D8
sounds like his motor might be running alittle on the lean side...try fatting it up a hour or two.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

+1....When your Low speed needle is set a little too lean cars will not idle long when upside down. Like the other poster said, try richening the LSN a bit. Fill the tank half full and just flip it upside down ans see if it helps.

Lance
RcRenew.com
Old 07-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rcrenew
+1....When your Low speed needle is set a little too lean cars will not idle long when upside down. Like the other poster said, try richening the LSN a bit. Fill the tank half full and just flip it upside down ans see if it helps.

Lance
RcRenew.com
You are right I have tried to lean the lsn & richen the hsn because the weather is hot now. That might caused that effect. I will try what you describing next week.

I noticed as well dust behind the flywheel and arround the front bearing of the engine, do you think there is a leak from the bearing. Is it normal to have dust at that side of the engine?

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Also u need to check for exhaust leaks at header to motor and header to pipe when tank is 50 percent or less if have exhaust leak when car is upside down will not have enough fuel pressure
Old 07-31-2011, 03:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rcrenew

Lance
RcRenew.com

I have tried your recomendation with no luck.
The ambient temp today was 95-100 degrees, 50% hunidity.
I have richen the LSN Half a turn. Now it 6 turns from fully closed. The HSN is on 2 turns from fully closed.
On the starter box the engine was feeling ok, but when I was hitting the track in the first straight the car was accelarating with too much smoke a bit fat from low to medium rpm but from medium to high rpm the engine stalled.

I leaned the HSN to 2 turns from closed.
The engine produced a lot of power aroung the track with maximum temp 250 degrees. The problem of stalling while upside down & half tank full was still there. I have checked for leaks but there is nothing on the exchast, that seem to leak.

I believe it is my tune...it seems difficult to tune the engine in such weather conditions.
Can you give me some tips, a video maybe...

Last edited by mike80; 07-31-2011 at 04:11 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by blktransam
I have heard from hot bodies guys that they have the same issues with the tank when the car is upside down.

I there any solution to this problem ?