Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
What are these signs telling me? >

What are these signs telling me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are these signs telling me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

Default What are these signs telling me?

This is the condition of my engine after a run.

Symptom #1: It is possible to move the engine's shaft in and out of the engine by ~2 mm. I believe this moving possibility is what caused my loose flywheel and symptom #3.

Symptom #2: I see a lot of fuel inside the engine after removal of the backplate. What does this mean? Was the engine too rich?

Symptom #3: Shows golden metal shavings all over the place. It must have happened because the flywheel was loose, causing the collet to get torn apart all over the place. (The collet is golden in colour)
Indeed, when I fumbled with the flywheel before removal it felt as it was too loose.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by helgso; 06-25-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Tech Lord

The pics are telling me you should use more light or a flashlight, a better steady hand en Macro setting to focus better on close ups.

Without flywheel the crankshaft can be moved, that is normal. The yellow dust at the front is what I think from the collar, with a loose flywheel that can happen.
It would be wise to get a new collar and if needed a new flywheel.

When plasing the collar just try to pull out the crankshaft and at the same time push the collar against the bearing. place the flywheel and screw on the nut. You must use a lot of force to set the nut tight so the flywheel will stay put.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Looks like maybe the OWB has kissed your connecting rod...hard to see 100%, but i do see maybe some marks right where the OWB would rub....
Old 06-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

1: yes, clutch nut sets shaft in place
2: no, did not run tank dry last run
3: yes, loose clutchnut = spinning flywheel over collet. clutch nut must be as tight as possible with locktite. friction is what keeps the flywheel attached to motor so don't be shy.
4: yes, you can remove pipe when disassembling motor
Old 06-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by helgso
This is the condition of my engine after a run.

Symptom #1: It is possible to move the engine's shaft in and out of the engine by ~2 mm. I believe this moving possibility is what caused my loose flywheel and symptom #3.

Symptom #2: I see a lot of fuel inside the engine after removal of the backplate. What does this mean? Was the engine too rich?

Symptom #3: Shows golden metal shavings all over the place. It must have happened because the flywheel was loose, causing the collet to get torn apart all over the place. (The collet is golden in colour)
Indeed, when I fumbled with the flywheel before removal it felt as it was too loose.

Thanks in advance
lets see a better pic of this angle this one sucks to blury... !!
Old 06-25-2011, 11:04 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by j_blaze14
3: yes, loose clutchnut = spinning flywheel over collet. clutch nut must be as tight as possible with locktite. friction is what keeps the flywheel attached to motor so don't be shy.
I would not advise locktite, it is not needed. If you do use one use the blue one. And no, it is not frction, the conical shape works as a clamp when tightening the nut.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Crank will wobble when flywheel is loose or off but just a little with collet on and backplate on. That is normal and the shavings are from the collet because the flywheel came loose. NO dont use lock tight on the lock nut just make sure you get it tight as possible. Also no ur engine wasn't to rich but you didnt run the fuel out of the engine. All can be solved with a new collet, maybe fly wheel, tighter lock nut, and run tank out and engine out of fuel.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:29 AM
Tech Adept

I'm going to use the blue locktite to fasten a new flywheel better, just to be sure. All of your posts helped me understanding these symptoms better. Thank you all
Old 06-26-2011, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Looks to me like you need a new cone, and maybe even a new flywheel, but its hard to tell for sure from the last pic.