Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
How to oil your air filter for offroad use >

How to oil your air filter for offroad use

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to oil your air filter for offroad use

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 07:31 AM
lk
Tech Apprentice

Default How to oil your air filter for offroad use

After having my carb going very rich after a 20 minute heat, I have noticed that unlike my competitors, my air filters are pancaked with dirt.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So what is the correct way to oil your filter without going overboard?

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by lk
After having my carb going very rich after a 20 minute heat, I have noticed that unlike my competitors, my air filters are pancaked with dirt.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks everyone!
I Have the same problem...!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do you have the outer filter? I usually oil the inside one like what you showed and leave the outer filter dry. I have gone through a whole race day without changing the filter out on my buggy and truggy and if the inner filter is ok but the outer filter is dirty I just blow off the outer filter with the air compressor and reinstall it. Outwears also makes a filter cover to get rid of the excess dirt going in. I also heard of guys using womens nylons and pulling them over to and tying them off on the neck of the filter.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Depends on the oil you use. I prefer K&N filter oil, you can get a can of it at any auto parts store and one can has been lasting me about a season and a half. Avoid the sticky air filter oils, they do not trap dirt as well as they should. Also, don't use cheap filter foams, they tend to be more porous and let more dirt through. You should also be using a prefilter. I take the main filter and oil it up heavily in a ziploc bag and work the oil into it. Then I put it inside the prefilter and squeeze any excess oil into the prefilter.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Generously oil the inner and outer filters with a good STICKY thick oil. Then squeeze out the outer one into a napkin a few good times. Leave the inner fully oiled. Always works for me.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I buy the Lucky 7 pre-oiled filters, squeeze them in a shop towel and install. If there's too much oil, too much of the dirt will stick and choke your engine. By squeezing out the excess, it seems to prevent a lot of the excess dirt from sticking.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 AM
lk
Tech Apprentice

Ok. This is getting interesting!

First off, I should have mentioned that yes there was an outer filter installed on the car. No it was not oiled. It came off quite clean with no excessive dirt.

Second thing is this filter was preoiled in a plastic bag the night before the race. (I don´t buy RTR no do I buy preoiled!! I like the mechanics of this hobby!)

Third the state of this pic is after a 30 minute main. The motor usually runs at 100 celsius or 210 fahrenheit after about 20 minutes the motor lost low end power, and after struggling to finish I ended the main at 65 celsius or 150 fahrenheit.

It is interesting that we already see a difference in opinion on oiling the outer filter or not....

Thanks everyone, I look forward to more replies.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by lk
Thanks everyone!
Do not oil the outer filter and use Vet Wrap as a prefilter.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:08 AM
lk
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
Do not oil the outer filter and use Vet Wrap as a prefilter.
You wouldn´t have a picture of the vet wrap would you? This is a new solution that I have not seen before.
Thanx
Old 06-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Go to any motorcycle shop. Buy a quart of bel-ray FOAM filter oil or a spray can of PJ-1. 1 quart of bel-ray will last your RC lifetime

Oil both the inner AND outer nice and heavy working it all the way thru. Then just squeeze them in paper towel to remove excess. Done. I like to buy big fat packs of un-oiled Lucky 7 filters and oil them myself. 1 Fresh filter before qualifying starts weekly is my normal routine. Never re-use them either.

BTW......K&N oil is for gauze not foam I know people use it but I never would
Old 06-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

you are going to get many different opinions, and that's because ppl race in different areas of the world and have different dirt and track conditions. Being in the air filter business I've attempted to test in every kind of dust you could imagine. the dirt in your pic looks to be very fine dust which is why if you didnt oil the outer it looks clean. the fine particles pass through the pre-filter clogging the inner. In my opinion, dust should never reach your inner filter, unless your in a super dusty condition (like what your pic looks like) and run a more open cell outer oiled and the dirt gets trapped inside the outer instead of on the outer surface like my filters do. for regular dust conditions using my filters or like mine work great, but when you get into the dust like in your pics you have 1 of 2 options in my opinion w/o effecting engine performance. 1 you run both oiled and change every run, or 2 you run a more open cell outer oiled and run it til the dirt just hits the inner. #2 is the best way for performance but it hard to make ppl understand letting dirt pass into the filter in the correct thing to do. its called a "pre filter" for a reason. offering different outers is something we may do in the future. look at MX filters, their inners and outers are never the same material. the outter is always bigger pore so the surface doesn't clog. idc what ppl say about vet wrap, its a bad idea. ive tested it on a flow bench.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (92%+)

or just run lucky7 filters and problems solved
Old 06-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Also to add to Randy's comment. he is 100% correct KnN makes paper filters which is completely different from foam. If you decide not to run lucky 7 oil, my suggestion is to get a oil that is specific for foam. with that said i have also tested hundreds of oil formulas and we beleive our current formula is the best for RC.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I take the main filter and oil it up in a ziploc bag and work the oil into it. Then I put the main filter inside the prefilter and squeeze any excess oil into the prefilter.

From the set I just replaced I throw the inner, but keep the prefilters to be washed and dried and reoiled ready for the next paragraph v

Monitor after every heat, and replace outer as required, redo both inner and outer as required just before the finals.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i found some really snazzy filter covers on ebay. They are high flow and don't keep all the dirt out, but it definitley helps. They also come in really cool colors!

like the above poster, i soak my inner, put it in the dry outer and squeeze.

JP, you have mbx filters in stock? Been wanting to try them but those must be popular because they seem to go out of stock more then the others. I am using vp pro right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.