Nitro Fuel Pressure Problem

Old 05-30-2011, 06:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation Nitro Fuel Pressure Problem

Hi

Can anyone help with a mystery problem I have with my .18 Nitro engine? The engine fires up, but then dies as soon as the fuel I used to prime it to start has been used.

It looks like a fuel presssure problem, when I crank the engine using the pull start, no fuel is feeding the carb. If I pinch the exhaust tube, fuel then starts to flow.

The engine ran fine last week (having not been used for about a year), so seems odd why/how it would now mess about.

Car is a Protech Nitro Star. It's my first nitro buggy and I've not messed around with nitro engines for over 20 years, so am I bit rusty!

All the fuel mix and idle settings were messed up, so there's a fair bit of guess work going on with those too!

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:25 AM
Tech Regular

If it has not been used for a year you probably have some fuel that "goo'ed" up.
I know you said that it ran fine last time but you could have some goo stirred around and now it got jammed somewhere..

Fuel filter, carburetor, fuel lines, tank lid and so on.
I suggest a thorough cleaning of the carb (take it apart) and the tank. Swap out all fuel lines including the pressure line from the exhaust.
Put everything together and test by blowing in all directions.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Tech Addict

And change your exhaust gaskets, bad seal do not create preasure to the tank means no fuel presure.