Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Heating suggestion on a Sirio kanai evo 4 >

Heating suggestion on a Sirio kanai evo 4

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heating suggestion on a Sirio kanai evo 4

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 11:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Heating suggestion on a Sirio kanai evo 4

Hey guys

I have a associated RC8T team trugggy. I bought it second hand off a guy who said he was a sponsored team driver, it looks in very good nick. It has a Sirio Kanai Evo 4 motor in it. He said its had only half a dozen race meets on it. The motor is pretty hard to start, already burned out one starter motor cos I didnt know what I was doing, now with the new one and a 12 v gel cell, it is turning the flywheel, but I am stuffed if I can start it. Glow plug fine, fresh fuel, primed. So I did some searches on here and found a good thread where some guys said that heating the motor up is the go. So it makes sense. I dont want to spend 100 bucks for a speciailist motor heater though. Can I do it with a temp gun and heat gun and heat up the motor to a specific temp instead of paying the extra for a heater? I thought of using the hair dryer but I thought it wouldnt get it hot enough, I dont have a temp gun.
So any advice appreciated. It really makes sense to have a motor thats already warmed up before you start it, Im just wanting to know the options there for warming it up, and if you go with the heat gun, where do you point it to the head?
thanks
JD
Old 05-01-2011, 12:39 AM
Tech Adept

I use a regular heat gun, a hair dryer will indeed not get the job done, unless you want your engine to heat up to only 130-140 degrees which is enough in some cases.

Point the heat gun to the casing and not the cooling head, as the cooling head is (as the name says) only for cooling the engine. The casing is there the sleeve resides; and that's the part that has to expend a little when it gets heatened.