Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Engine too Hot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Nitro Engine too Hot?

Curious.Im pretty new to nitro.When running my eight buggy, before the tank runs out of fuel the acceleration gets more and more sluggish until finally it wont accelerate at all.Just idle.Then it will die.Ive checked the engine temps and they are 290 degrees.Could I be running too lean and is that causing the problems?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:15 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shuless
Curious.Im pretty new to nitro.When running my eight buggy, before the tank runs out of fuel the acceleration gets more and more sluggish until finally it wont accelerate at all.Just idle.Then it will die.Ive checked the engine temps and they are 290 degrees.Could I be running too lean and is that causing the problems?
290 is pretty hot ! i won't typically run anything over 240...surprised it still idles at 290. i would definitely richin it up. read the following link. there is a ton of info that will help . i would probably tear the motor down and inspect piston,rod , sleeve and bearings.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...ing-bible.html
Old 04-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yup it's way too lean. Aside from the high temp, the loss in power as the tank empties is a dead giveaway.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

what engine is it? ... ive ran my alphas over 290 and they were fine, i dont worry about temp... but your engine does sound a little lean though....
Old 04-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Im no super tuner but 290 is HOT. If your no pro and need every drop of power, you shouldnt run at 290 - richen up to prolong your engine life. If you go $$$ to blow then whatever.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by neobart
Yup it's way too lean. Aside from the high temp, the loss in power as the tank empties is a dead giveaway.
+1 Leaving the high temp aside, power loss as the tank empties means you're too lean. As the tank empties the engine leans out a little bit and if you're too lean already that will result in a lean bog. You're definitely too lean. 290* is too hot for most engines.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i had a picco .26 outlaw that was a absolute animal hovering around 300 degrees. But every other engine i have had 260 has usually been the limit after that you are not really gaining anything.

What kind of fuel are you using?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

The Engine is a SH .21. Fuel is Trinity 20%
I leaned it out yesterday a little and the temp went down to 257.It finished the tank without loss of power.You guys are smart! If I lean out the low end needle will I get more torque off the start?Will the temps go up again?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sounds lik your plenty lean. But the only real way to tell if you want lean 30 minutes at a time until performance decreases. If you have to close your idle to paper thin to get a steady idle you are pretty much to lean.

Gotta have good SMOKE
Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

if your engine is idling good at 290.. then your tune is out of wack.. or you got a leak somewhere in your fuel system or engine... which will have your tune out of wack to compensate.... i've reach 290 before... and the engine seemed to be running fine.. the engine was doing double duty that day.. so ihad to take it out and put it in the truggy.. and i had to tally retune... and it ran at 230... and just screaming... changed the tank... and walla in the buggy it ran at 210.. so just changing the tank give me a temp drop of 80 degrees .. just some points you should consider..

ps.. im glad i was able to figure that out.. cause i dont think my bearings would of lasted a 30 minute main at 290...