Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Fuel byrons 20%

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Tech Regular

Default Nitro Fuel byrons 20%

I have a losi 350 with re-11 pipe and I am using byrons 20% nitro. I am thinking about trying 30% byrons or sidewinder would i see a nice performance increase assuming a good tune on 30%... All i have ever used is byrons 20% and I am a noob... would it hurt my engine? ... I have a medium plug right now would i need to go to a cold?..
Old 04-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

going to 30% will net a little bit of a gain... but if you dont change anything (like go up a tooth or two in pinion, or drop a tooth or two in spur), i doubt you'll see much difference.

Medium plug is fine on 30%. I run medium & cold plugs in my engines on Byrons Gen2 30%.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Tech Prophet

i would stick with the 20% byrons intill you get good with the tuning i know i am intil i get good at it.

im using up the rest of my ebmods race blead 20% intill i run out of it than go to 25% and 30%.

try ethier a hot plug or a meduim hot plug with 20% i noticed that my engine ran better and easier to tune and start
Old 04-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

there is a BIG difference between 20% and 30%. more bottom with 30% is the biggest difference, with a little more top. oil percentage makes a big difference also, i switched back and forth between byrons 30-11 and 30-9, some engines ran better with 30-9 and some ran better with 30-11 (i run only O'donnell Fuel now though). stick to the same plug, do not go hotter, hotter the plug the bigger the tuning window which will take some power away. i wouldnt go to a cold plug either.

just my 2 cents.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
there is a BIG difference between 20% and 30%. more bottom with 30% is the biggest difference, with a little more top. oil percentage makes a big difference also, i switched back and forth between byrons 30-11 and 30-9, some engines ran better with 30-9 and some ran better with 30-11 (i run only O'donnell Fuel now though). stick to the same plug, do not go hotter, hotter the plug the bigger the tuning window which will take some power away. i wouldnt go to a cold plug either.

just my 2 cents.

im, switching to a higher nitro once i run out of the 20% i mind as well use it i can see where higher nitro % whould give you more torque im not looking for massive torque i dont like to much.

you, can call me crazy but when i switched to a med-hot plug my engine ran better all around.
now was it slower maybe a little bit.

i never had a lot of luck with the cooler plugs .
Old 04-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tc5 man
im, switching to a higher nitro once i run out of the 20% i mind as well use it i can see where higher nitro % whould give you more torque im not looking for massive torque i dont like to much.

you, can call me crazy but when i switched to a med-hot plug my engine ran better all around.
now was it slower maybe a little bit.

i never had a lot of luck with the cooler plugs .
run the rest of the 20% out for sure, no need to waste it. its like me still running the O'donnell Race Blend instead of the Speed Blend because i have a case and a half left. but you will be surprised by how much better the engine of yours will run with 30%

with a medium plug your tune has to be more spot on so i can see how hotter plugs work better. most people that arent the best at tuning run hotter plugs (i did when i was starting) and it seemed to work better. now that im alot better at tuning and all, i find myself only liking colder plugs. gaining power and runtime in the process.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Tech Regular

I am not a good tuner yet im guessing it comes in time as you gain experience.. I am better than i was before but kinda lost sometimes prob using temp as to much of a guide.. Or i can be way off now lol who knows ..
Old 04-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tcaputo
I am not a good tuner yet im guessing it comes in time as you gain experience.. I am better than i was before but kinda lost sometimes prob using temp as to much of a guide.. Or i can be way off now lol who knows ..
best way to learn how to tune is leave the temp gun at home tuning to temp, usually causes a rich bottom with lean top or vise versa... i very rarely use a temp gun, i usually just use it every now and then just to see. but i dont use it to tune.

is your Losi 350 a turbo or non-turbo plug? if turbo, ive heard that O'donnell 97T in summer and 87T in winter works well.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
best way to learn how to tune is leave the temp gun at home tuning to temp, usually causes a rich bottom with lean top or vise versa... i very rarely use a temp gun, i usually just use it every now and then just to see. but i dont use it to tune.

is your Losi 350 a turbo or non-turbo plug? if turbo, ive heard that O'donnell 97T in summer and 87T in winter works well.
Non turbo but i will be putting a turbo on it within a few months and I am in Florida so its humid ... and I bet my turn is exactly as you say rich on bottom and lean on top... Should i reset the needles to factory settings and start over?? or just lean out bottom and hope for the best ..lol tuning is an art i never even figured ..
Old 04-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tcaputo
Non turbo but i will be putting a turbo on it within a few months and I am in Florida so its humid ... and I bet my turn is exactly as you say rich on bottom and lean on top... Should i reset the needles to factory settings and start over?? or just lean out bottom and hope for the best ..lol tuning is an art i never even figured ..
set idle gap to 1mm without the restrictor in. then go to factory and start over. do NOT adjust idle, you basically adjust idle with the low speed needle. i never touch my idle and its never to lean or rich on bottom or top. i think thats the biggest problem people do is forgetting to set idle gap or setting it with restrictor in... one of my engine, when you put the restrictor in, it looks like there is no idle gap.

hope this helps.