Search

only the pros

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 03:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default only the pros

will this work?

tuning on the box

if you tune the high speed needle to the point where it hidles high for a few seconds before droping to a steady idle..then back it off a bit so i drops straight to a steady idle that pretty much a perfect hsn tune then do the lsn so it climbs a little after sitting at a steady idle back it off a bit so it no longer climbs ,insted it stay consistant at idle will that have the same tune characteristics as the tune done on the hsn?
Old 04-16-2011, 03:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Are you going to do a few WOT passes under load on your box?

Your answer is no. You want to tune it on the ground under normal load and driving conditions.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

you may be able to tune the lsn on the box but the hsn tunes to the track, so no.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

sorry i meant once the hsn has been tuned on the ground..will my method work for the lsn...ie back it off just at the point where the speed starts picking up when the lsn starts metering the fuel..
Old 04-16-2011, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

if your idle raises up then you are too lean on the bottom...I set my LSN so it has a "2" stage idle so it drops "real" low (stalling low) after about 12-15 seconds but thats me some guys set theirs to a leaner low end which it will idle at a normal rate for 20+ seconds I like to think mine is a tad rich on the bottom end but not rich enough to sacrafice power.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I am not a believer in tuning on the box.....I have done it at indoor winter events as there was no choice...but the reality is on the ground under load is by far the best method...Usually most guys who try to tune on the box end up having huge tuning issues, very very rarely can someone luck into a perfect tune when doing it on the box...
Old 04-16-2011, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
I am not a believer in tuning on the box.....I have done it at indoor winter events as there was no choice...but the reality is on the ground under load is by far the best method...Usually most guys who try to tune on the box end up having huge tuning issues, very very rarely can someone luck into a perfect tune when doing it on the box...
+1
Old 04-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Maximo

+1, i did that last year tuning on the box not a good idea it will run good for about 3 minutes or so on the track than i will run like crap all the sudden after that i could tell when i started to try to clear bigger jumps .

so im tuning on the track this year !
Old 04-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
+1, i did that last year tuning on the box not a good idea it will run good for about 3 minutes or so on the track than i will run like crap all the sudden after that i could tell when i started to try to clear bigger jumps .

so im tuning on the track this year !
yep, tuning on the box will get you half tank lean bog every time
Old 04-17-2011, 05:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Racers at Japans National race track (Futaba Buggy race track) do it all the time. Talk about Seasoned perfossionals, I kid you not, they are accurate at doing the box tune.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoeGuam
Racers at Japans National race track (Futaba Buggy race track) do it all the time. Talk about Seasoned perfossionals, I kid you not, they are accurate at doing the box tune.
On the box will get you close, it will not get a precise race tune, no its not all that hard to tune on the box but you must know what you are doing
Old 04-17-2011, 08:11 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

I tried it last week and flamed in rd1

hahaha....honestly...I did....I lean bogged on the straight hardcore and my car was running on in mid-air on jumps making it very difficult to handle....bah.....learning curves
Old 04-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
On the box will get you close, it will not get a precise race tune, no its not all that hard to tune on the box but you must know what you are doing
If people that had their perfect race tune (done on the track at full engine temp) would pay attention to how it runs when 1st started they'd learn how to get it close on the box.

That being said....................I don't race with my truck on the starter box, so I don't tune on the starter box.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motomatt
If people that had their perfect race tune (done on the track at full engine temp) would pay attention to how it runs when 1st started they'd learn how to get it close on the box.

That being said....................I don't race with my truck on the starter box, so I don't tune on the starter box.
Very good advice matt

If your engine was tuned for on track performance before why mess with it unless there its drastic barometric and/or temperature/moisture change.

I would suggest finding a seasoned pro at tuning if you have your carb so far out of whack it will not run worth a crap to help you get it dialed in, don't be afraid to ask for help but make sure you are asking the right person. If some kia person comes up to help you "fix" your carb adjustments chances are they are not the one who should be helping
Old 04-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have had several of my customers struggle with tuning, then have the local pro come dial the engine in the starter box...in the end it always ends the same, the engine more out of whack then it was before... The only way to truly tune these engines to their full potential is to tune then on the ground, on a surface that matches the track surface as closely as possible..... In fact I think many racers would benefit from playing with their rides away from the track so they can hear and tune their engine without 10 other machines running in the backgound...Whenever myself and my main driver Nick go to races we always listen to the tunes of the other racers and many times people's tunes are nowhere near as perfect as they would like to think....Starter box tuning is a joke, and no matter what anyone says I am 100% against it....Sometimes there is no choice, like at a indoor winter event...but it should be avoided at all costs IMO.... Now of course you can make small tweaks on the box, but good luck getting proper base tune by doing it on the box...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.