Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
back into nitro after year of electric 1/8th... Im torn between a few motors... help >

back into nitro after year of electric 1/8th... Im torn between a few motors... help

back into nitro after year of electric 1/8th... Im torn between a few motors... help

Old 04-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default back into nitro after year of electric 1/8th... Im torn between a few motors... help

Hi,

As the title says, i am torn between motors. Maybe u guys can help me decide. I have been running 1/8th electric for about 4, almost 5 years... going back to my roots...

i have a serpernt s811 that the motor will go in, but in the next few months, it'll most likely go in a truggy for the rest of its life. Here are the motors i was thinking...

1) Argus A52
2) GO GX5R
3) Alpha plus 852 series (not sure which one)

What do you guys think? Which is most reliable, easy to tune, good low and mid range motor?

thx
Old 04-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 266 (100%+)

In my opinion. Get the Werks B6 for buggy and Werks B5 for Truggy. I know these arent the motors you looking at but... Its easy to tune, fast like the expensive engines, You can get over 10min on them and the price is alot less them most engines out there.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by guss2009
In my opinion. Get the Werks B6 for buggy and Werks B5 for Truggy. I know these arent the motors you looking at but... Its easy to tune, fast like the expensive engines, You can get over 10min on them and the price is alot less them most engines out there.
i need only one motor for both buggy and truggy application...
Old 04-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by teeforb
Hi,

As the title says, i am torn between motors. Maybe u guys can help me decide. I have been running 1/8th electric for about 4, almost 5 years... going back to my roots...

i have a serpernt s811 that the motor will go in, but in the next few months, it'll most likely go in a truggy for the rest of its life. Here are the motors i was thinking...

1) Argus A52
2) GO GX5R
3) Alpha plus 852 series (not sure which one)

What do you guys think? Which is most reliable, easy to tune, good low and mid range motor?

thx
out of the list, i would go with the GX5R!!
Old 04-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by inferno13
out of the list, i would go with the GX5R!!
Having both the GX5R and the Argus A52 I vote for the Argus. It has good bottom end and can be very smooth and it pulls lots and lots future then the 5R.

Go with the Argus and an 801 pipe.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Just for the record, GO GX5R is discontinued (although they can still be found). It is replaced by the GO GXII HO. Personally, I'd go with a AlphaPlus
S852 if you want to use it in both a buggy and truggy.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

out of your choices i would go with the s852 (orange head) alpha... very good motor.. but any on your list will do just fine in either buggy or truggy.. jeremy
Old 04-15-2011, 04:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I would go with the Alpha S852 it will work in Buggy and Truggy and will do better then most of the motors you have listed on run time and power.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

GO WITH THE GO
Old 04-16-2011, 05:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Why only Taiwanese engines in your list ?
Old 04-16-2011, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
Why only Taiwanese engines in your list ?
My Thoughts exactly.. And the 3 engines listed are esentially copies of one another. Of course I'm gonna get flamed for saying that because of some little thing that's different between each of them..

What I am saying is your going to get nearly identical performance out of each of those listed, so just flip a coin and order one or the one with your fav color....
Old 04-16-2011, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ScottyM
My Thoughts exactly.. And the 3 engines listed are esentially copies of one another. Of course I'm gonna get flamed for saying that because of some little thing that's different between each of them..

What I am saying is your going to get nearly identical performance out of each of those listed, so just flip a coin and order one or the one with your fav color....
Wrong ad wrong.

The alpha and go motors are differnt. Few parts are inter changeable if any. Argus is made by Alpha, as for all three performing the same, not even close. Alpha has many differnt mills to get the power how one likes it. Argus mill is a very good one, smooth power with good top end pull. The GX-5R has good bottom but suffers up top.

All the same. that's like saying the Werks B5 and B6 are essentially the same.

(I know the Werks B5 and B6 are NOT the same just uses those to as an example for they are popular mills.)
Old 04-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rider313
Wrong ad wrong.

The alpha and go motors are differnt. Few parts are inter changeable if any. Argus is made by Alpha, as for all three performing the same, not even close. Alpha has many differnt mills to get the power how one likes it. Argus mill is a very good one, smooth power with good top end pull. The GX-5R has good bottom but suffers up top.

All the same. that's like saying the Werks B5 and B6 are essentially the same.

(I know the Werks B5 and B6 are NOT the same just uses those to as an example for they are popular mills.)
I run the GX5R and it out tops most motors at the track on any given race day.