Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
werks 30% nitro, what's the lubrication content? >

werks 30% nitro, what's the lubrication content?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

werks 30% nitro, what's the lubrication content?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If two different companies say that their fuel has "x" percent oil, which do you pick? I think that question is pretty tough to answer unless you did some pretty expensive testing in a controlled environment.

In my opinion, we take a leap of faith picking fuels anyways. Companies can market their products as they please, and make a variety of claims. Ron is one of the few that is here to back up his products. I would take that as a good sign, not something to be skeptical about.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

i'm really not skeptical at all about it, werks is a great company and ron is amazing. i do agree with what was previously said though, the fact that there's some beating around the bush on my original question makes me want to know even more! i know it's about quality not quantity, but i'd still like to know

i do plan on trying it regardless, but i know if i like it and start recommending it to others at the track, they will insist on knowing this info and it'd make it kinda hard to convince them to use it if they don't know the content!
Old 04-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I can say without question that not all fuel manufacturers print accurate information on their labels...Just like companies advertising high HP numbers on an engine box..or unrealistic speeds on a RTR kit...... The truth is the stats mean absolutely nothing unless all companies are playing by the same rules....There arre several companies who's 30% nitro product that is actually closer to 20% then they are to 30%......if a company says 7 % oil how can we really know for sure...The truth is most will print just about anything on the label if it means it will help sell more product.....
Old 04-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey man, I'd just like to know the "fake" numbers now.

The same can be said about a modded engine, who's to say the numbers are not bushed up on the computer before posting them? In a fuel/ HP test, who's to say it was not leaned out a bit for a particular fuel company to make the HP greater? Exactly.........
Old 04-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by got_nitro
Hey man, I'd just like to know the "fake" numbers now.

The same can be said about a modded engine, who's to say the numbers are not bushed up on the computer before posting them? In a fuel/ HP test, who's to say it was not leaned out a bit for a particular fuel company to make the HP greater? Exactly.........
Your right ! unless everything is tested by a unbiased third party its hard to believe much these days.... However in the case of leaning to make more HP, it doesn't quite work that way, lean a engine past peak and it actually loses power, lean mixture actually loses more power then a rich mixture...As for the modded engines, best bet is to see one run live and judge for yourself ! with my engines is very apparent in both sound and performance....fuel is a little trickier....
Old 04-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Maximo
Your right ! unless everything is tested by a unbiased third party its hard to believe much these days.... However in the case of leaning to make more HP, it doesn't quite work that way, lean a engine past peak and it actually loses power, lean mixture actually loses more power then a rich mixture..
I get that part.. I was making a point that I hope you got. Should I have said make one super rich VS a different one would have been the same point.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I don't mean to sound like a dick but it seems to me that Ron does not want you, or anyone else to know what the oil percentage is so we might as well be asking for the nuclear launch codes.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You guys have to remember something about our fuel. When we released our "Race Blend"' it was around 5 or 6 years ago. At that time so called race fuels had oil contents of 9-11% and 9% was considered a "low oil content fuel". People did not understand anything about oil quality versus quantity they just thought that if you had a fuel with 9% oil in it you were pushing the edge and you engine would wear out faster. We were IMHO leaps and bounds ahead of people then in the area of lubricants and actualy spent over two years testing and developing our lubricant package in conjunction with a lot of racers and working a Fortune 100 chemical company (one of the 100 largest companies in the US). At that time we were heavily involved in 1/8th on-road which puts more strain on engines than any other class that I know of and that is how we "torture tested" our fuel working with the likes of Cyrul, Joel Johnson, Scotty Kimbrough, Daren Ishitani etc. etc. I'm happy to say that we also went on to later win an 8th scale on-road nationals with our fuel and Joel also.

As I mentioned at the time we were breaking new grounds as far as lubricant technology for RC fuels and the performance and run time that you could get. To this date we are still 6 years later using our origional formula unlike others who are on to their second or even third so called performance blend. To date I still think that our fuel offers better performance and especially protection than anything else on the market! Simply put our lubricants are are still IMHO better than anything being used by anyone else.

I always find it funny when I see people saying I switched from brand xyz to werks and it seems to have a little more oil. The reality of the matter is that it seems like we have more oil becuase our oils have super high flash points (the temperature at which they combust) so when you pull your engine apart after running it you always see a nice golden coating of oil covering everything inside. This means that our oil is doing what it should be doing, protecting your engine internals instead of burning up and making your car smoke like a chimney lol! Ths is also why you see little smoke when you run our fuel.

Regarding the overal oil content all that I will say is that we use a mixture of synthetic and a caster oil with a quite extensive additives package. Not that we are selling this but we have tested this lubricant package in 1/8th on-road use down to 4% oil content in 1/8th on-road use without any problems in reliability, performance or wear. The exact formulation and ratios as I mentioned took us over two years of testing to develop over 6 years ago and I hate to say it but I'm not going to help our competition out any in this area. I will however say that we have less than 9% and more than 4% total oil content in our fuel as I already indicated. For the rest I'm handling this like the Colonels secret recipe of herbs and spices lol! One thing to keep inmmind though is that we are the only engine manufacturer that makes fuel. We obviously seem to be able to make engines that perform well, don't you think that we might have a pretty good idea and I would hazard to say probably a better idea than a fuel only company about what you should be putting in them? As I said were 6 years down the road now and still selling the origional formulation not on to version #3 or anything and there is a reason for that! Hope this helps a bit!

Regards,

Ron
Old 04-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

thanks for the explanation Ron! at least now i have an idea of the oil content so when i start running werks fuel, if i can get my hands on it locally, i will be able to get others to start running it as well. i wasn't doubting the oil quality, just wanted a little insight on it.

:P
Old 04-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Werks
One thing to keep inmmind though is that we are the only engine manufacturer that makes fuel.
RB also sells fuel, though I don't think they actually make it themselves. And of course Mugen fuel is just Byrons.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Consistent Answer

I've been running and selling Werks fuel in the NYC/NJ/PA area for 2 seasons. I can tell you that Ron's answer to the 'how much oil' question has been the same for everyone...'it's enough'. The long explanation he gave is the same one he gave me roughly 2 years ago when I decided to rep Werks. And after running the fuel I can tell you that it certainly is enough oil to do the job. I've got a worn p/s set from a B5 that I could pawn off as new because it looks perfect....perfect until you push the piston thru the sleeve that is, LOL! The point is that the oil package in the Werks fuel protects the internals to the point that they still look new even though the parts are actually past their usable life.

Realistically, if you wanna know how the fuel is just give it a shot. If your in my area I'm always willing to let you try it before you buy it. Any good hustler knows you give em a sample to get em hooked

Ron's philosophy of being the best applies to all of Werks products. First the B5, then the B6, then the clutches, etc.,etc., etc.,. If he can't be the best at something, then he simply won't do it. Byron's has got the best marketing team, Werks has the best fuel.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

yeah i talked to the owner of one of the local tracks and he said he won't carry anything but byrons cuz of the hazmat fees they charge so i will have to check with the guy that runs the 1/8 track and see what he can get. that's the reason i haven't gotten it shipped to me is the hazmat fees and i don't need quarts i want a gallon at a time, but i doub't i'll go thru a case in a race season.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I too am a local "dealer" for werks products and I can not keep up with the orders I order 9 cases at a time and just recieved a order on tuesday and am down to 4 cases already...
Old 04-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

yeah i'm really hoping the outdoor track owner can get me some. i really wanna try it but i'm not gonna spend $160 on a case of it from amainhobbies.com cuz of their hazmat fees it's ridiculous.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ohh EPiC FAiL
yeah i talked to the owner of one of the local tracks and he said he won't carry anything but byrons cuz of the hazmat fees they charge so i will have to check with the guy that runs the 1/8 track and see what he can get. that's the reason i haven't gotten it shipped to me is the hazmat fees and i don't need quarts i want a gallon at a time, but i doub't i'll go thru a case in a race season.
Order quarts. No Haz-Mat fees.

And it isn't Amain that regulates the Fee, that is your government doing that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.