Wiki Posts
Search

Torco 30% Nitro fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi_racer
i tune by performance not smoke or temps. Now if there is zero smoke thats different but if there is any at all and its performing good thats what matters. my engines last 8-10 gallons before the compression starts to go and then i buy a new engine. i tune mine and my dads engine as we rarely have engine issues and since swapping to byrons fuel.
Like I mentioned in my first analysis on Torco....it smokes a LOT compared to other fuels from what I have experienced. So if you tune it to the point where you get a decent amount of smoke....you might already be too lean. That's kind of the point I was trying to make with it. It tunes differently as far as typical smoke trail is concerned (from my experiences anyway) and having a good smoke trail alone may lead you down the wrong path when tuning.

Not trying to insinuate anything here...just saying I *think* this may be where some of the horror stories come from.... I have yet to have any issues in almost 8 gallons on the same engine. That doesn't mean that everyone will have no issues...it means that *I* have not had any firsthand ;-) Everyone has bad stories about every product out there....I prefer to try em myself and come to my own conclusions. What works for you....might not work for me...and vice versa.

I'm going to try some Sidewinder in another engine as well so I can compare them back to back (won some at PNB)....and some Werks in yet another engine just to get some different opinions on fuels since all I have run lately is Torco. I ran Byrons for a few gallons before that....and some O'Donnell before that. LHS Supply kept changing on me....so I bounced around a lot 2 seasons ago and had horrible luck.

Anyway...my .02 cents....
Old 04-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi_racer
your going to get a mixture of love and hate with this fuel. I used it on my engines and my dads engines as well as a local guy ran it on his. On all the engines i ran it thru i could not get a consistent tune and also for it not to load up you had to lean it alot which causes issues but this is the reason you get your run time with this fuel, but keep in mind the more you lean it the less fuel which means less oil . i ended up having one engine rod go early on and 2 more engines lost compression about 5 gallon mark. A local guy had 3 engines go within a gallon. Both of us even had some experts tune it and they had the same results. Both of us swapped fuels at the same time and we havent had an issue since.
Thanks for your input. I think I'll take your word on this as good advice.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

well, i did buy a case and will find out soon enough, going to pick it up sunday, im sure it will be just fine, if it smokes alittle bit more than others ill just have to open the windows wider in the basement before the wife gets home. frebreeze works good to cover up the smell....LMAO
Old 04-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

When the Torco 30 race blend first hit the market it had a castor/ synthetic blend. There were some tuning issues with it mostly because the Castor oil they used did not burn off and hotter plugs were needed to get it to run right. This Castor oil also did not play nice with Novarossi engines and nova's in particular were having the most issues with the original Torco fuel. They have since switched to an all synthetic oil package and I have not heard one issue from any users since. I sold about 20 cases over the last year and no one has complained about the fuel, even the guys with Novarossi engines. I think they have the bugs worked out and performance for price I would definately consider it a good fuel.

Last edited by Jaz240; 04-14-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
When the Torco 30 race blend first hit the market it had a castor/ synthetic blend. There were some tuning issues with it mostly because the Castor oil they used did not burn off and hotter plugs were needed to get it to run right. This Castor oil also did not play nice with Novarossi engines and nova's in particular were having the most issues with the original Torco fuel. They have since switched to an all synthetic oil package and infant not heard one issue from any users since. I sold about 20 cases over the last year and no one has complained about the fuel, even the guys with Novarossi engines. I think they have the bugs worked out and performance for price I would definately consider it a good fuel.
is that why you run s&w?? also a great fuel btw.

so is cold fusion..
Old 04-13-2011, 07:35 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

No I run S&W because I also run Clockworks engines and Neal has told Me repeatedly that his engines need Castor Oil. If I ever go back to stock engines I will also go back to Torco.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Suspended

well i got my fuel today, ran a few tanks, and very happy with it, very crisp, and dint have to change carb setting from running byrons, ran at same temps with same amount of smoke. so far so good!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Lucky I wanted to run some nitro today. But I woke up to an inch of snow outside. It was gone by noon but it still wasn't warm enough to justify running. Plus the track was prolly still overly soaked.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by rider313
Lucky I wanted to run some nitro today. But I woke up to an inch of snow outside. It was gone by noon but it still wasn't warm enough to justify running. Plus the track was prolly still overly soaked.
LOL, raining here but could not wait to try it out. suppose to get some snow flurries tomorrow. hope not!!
Old 04-16-2011, 05:54 PM
Tech Addict

Quite a few guys running it at our track and my area in genral and no problems.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BeefHead
Quite a few guys running it at our track and my area in genral and no problems.
i switched from 30% byrons and the torco gave me about 40 seconds more run time., 2 more minutes and i can fisish a 15min main without a pit...
Old 07-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Torco nitro fuel is really good
Old 07-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rcgarrettp9
Torco nitro fuel is really good
Yes it is