Wiki Posts
Search

Reliable Basher Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Reliable Basher Engine

Hello Everyone,
I'm looking for an engine for a RC8 I picked for cheap up a while ago. I'm planning on running the buggy as a basher. As I'm new to the nitro scene I was wondering if anybody can give some advice on a good basher engine? Preferably one that doesn't break the bank. Thanks!
Ryan
Old 04-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dinkyrdj
Hello Everyone,
I'm looking for an engine for a RC8 I picked for cheap up a while ago. I'm planning on running the buggy as a basher. As I'm new to the nitro scene I was wondering if anybody can give some advice on a good basher engine? Preferably one that doesn't break the bank. Thanks!
Ryan
Dynamite 21, it's got a red head on it. Amain has them. Good little motor.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Or the fusion X 21 3 port, Houston has some I think you can check with him. Great motor as well and priced pretty good.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Dynamite .21 or a Werks b5
Old 04-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I would recommend the Hyper .21 8 port. Comes with bump box back plate or as a pull start. I used them exclusively when I first got into 8 scale nitro. Easy to tune, gobs of power, super cheap and they always lasted 6-8 gallons. Run time stinks but for bashing that don't matter. NitroHouse.com sells them for about $120. Works best with an 086 pipe
Old 04-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

What about .28 engines? I notice a lot of RTR come with this size engine as opposed to .21.

Also, what about engines from places such as Hobbypartz? I know you get what you paid for and such, I'm just wondering if anybody has any experience with these (I'm willing to spend for motors such as listed above but if I can save some money I will).
Old 04-05-2011, 10:12 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Most RTRs come with .28 motors to compensate for quality. In general a good .21 will kick the crap out of a cheap .28 but that's just my opinion. Those new Dynamite motors have left me pleasantly surprised.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

STS T21E $99 great little motor. Reliable, makes good power and wont break the bank...
Old 04-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

The Dynamite line of engines are good for bash and also club racing. The .21 red head and the .26 Blue head are great little engines. Also the Losi 350 is a great engine for the low price. It comes with the Losi 8B RTR. Right now there are some really good RTR type engines available. Those I listed I have seen or used personally and would recommend to someone looking to bash.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Really any engine from a respected manufacture will be money in the bank. RB, Werks, Picco, Ofna, Alpha, Go, Dynamite and others all make economical engines.

I regret selling an older RB S7 I had. It was still running strong with just over 12 gallons through it.

I have heard great things about Ofna hyper 8 port engines

Picco engines are another choice in a RTR version that is reliable.

Alpha and Go make race engines for inexpensive that are good basher engines.

Really it will depend on how fast you want to go and how much money you want to spend. Any 3-5 port inexpensive engine with the right tune and maintenance will last you many hours of fun. Just keep extra air filter elements around (i dont clean mine I replace them) and oiled ready for use.

I also do not like pull start engines so all of mine use a bump box or starter box. The pull starts tend to break but are convenient.

However for the best advice find your local hobby shop and see what they carry. Typically they will carry some entry level items along with race pieces ready to sell. They also will be able to help you tune it for max life.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

HPI Pro F3,5. Same as RB Killer 9 and 10 but cheaper. REALLY a great engine
Old 04-05-2011, 12:14 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Lille-bror
HPI Pro F3,5. Same as RB Killer 9 and 10 but cheaper. REALLY a great engine
HPI motors from what I understand are basically Axial motors. RB is made by Novarossi. Apples and oranges.

Last edited by Lapper; 04-05-2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Lapper
HPI motors from what I understand are basically Axial motors. RB is made my Novarossi. Apples and oranges.
Your are right to a point...

Killer, HPI Pro and OFNA JL .21 are all Force engines
Old 04-05-2011, 12:39 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Interesting...
Old 04-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah new cross and killer RB engines are taiwan made now. Not sure the manufacture but they are not novarossi based for those two lines. The X11, B11 and others are still novarossi based.

Either way all of the mentioned engines when tuned well will be fun to drive. Just get what your pocketbook will allow. Opinions around here will be based on what they personally own or have seen and hence my opinion on RB engines reliability. Novarossi, as the basis for RB engines, would then share that (I assume). The OFNA force 25 (junk RTR motor) is not one I would recommend but the FORCE .26 is a great reliable engine.

In essence again go to your local LHS, find out what one they support and get an engine that matches your need. If you are going to even consider club racing then almost any race engine makes a great basher. Novarossi, RB, OFNA, Picco, Alpha, and Go all make race engines that are competitive and inexpensive (less than $200). They will just call them club or enthusiast engines