Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Odonnells .21 SS Engine Mods? >

Odonnells .21 SS Engine Mods?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Odonnells .21 SS Engine Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Odonnells .21 SS Engine Mods?

After reading the Super Charger thread, i was wondering on how to mod the Odonnells .21 SS, I am hands on guy and as long as there is no machining involved i can do it myself, any ideas, what has been done to this engine before.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

PM Neal from Clockworks (Maximo on RCTech). He's modified an SS.21 previously.

Also, one of the other team drivers was running a Murnan modified SS.21 with good results.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DiZzYNaTiOn
After reading the Super Charger thread, i was wondering on how to mod the Odonnells .21 SS, I am hands on guy and as long as there is no machining involved i can do it myself, any ideas, what has been done to this engine before.
from what i understood from modders, the SS is a tricky engine to mod, the timing or something is a little different than most and can be messed up easily ... i think i heard this from maximo, but i cannot remember ...
Old 03-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

One of the best mod's you could do to that motor is lighten up the head...it's heavy. Stock weight is 113g, some drilled hole's in them 102g, I dremeled mine for two reason's to lighten and I hate ball driver's, 86g. Stock v-spec 91g
Old 03-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Tech Master

For the most part, modding an engine is not a do it yourself project. You'll have to send it out and expect to pay $85 - $100
Old 03-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kaptain crash
One of the best mod's you could do to that motor is lighten up the head...it's heavy. Stock weight is 113g, some drilled hole's in them 102g, I dremeled mine for two reason's to lighten and I hate ball driver's, 86g. Stock v-spec 91g
AAHHH thats a good idea, never thought of that, so at the end of you comment are you saying to just buy a v-spec head or dremmil it?

**EDIT** Just to let you know i am not going to do iether, ill just leave it stock, plenty of power for my buggy but was just curious...
Old 03-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

AAHHH thats a good idea, never thought of that, so at the end of you comment are you saying to just buy a v-spec head or dremmil it?

**EDIT** Just to let you know i am not going to do iether, ill just leave it stock, plenty of power for my buggy but was just curious...
Naaaa I just dremeled the SS head, now it weighs 86 grams, and can get a regular driver in the motor mounts now also.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Tech Champion

Does anyone know if there is a way to turn the part of the carb where the high speed needle is? I would like to angle mine more forward so it fits under the body better on my buggy.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Does anyone know if there is a way to turn the part of the carb where the high speed needle is? I would like to angle mine more forward so it fits under the body better on my buggy.
nope, gotta cut a hole in the body for the screw driver... or try an older sirio/orion carb.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:56 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
For the most part, modding an engine is not a do it yourself project. You'll have to send it out and expect to pay $85 - $100
I disagree with you. Look arround on the net and you will find lots of do it yourself articles about porting an engine. Porting will not gain power but it makes the engine better in idle, spinning up and can give it slightly more RPM.
Also a tiny small change on the cranktiming can do a noticeabel increase of performance.
Raising the sleeve with modded headshims does change intake and exhaust timings, it is a thing anyone can try and it can also be undone.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
I disagree with you. Look arround on the net and you will find lots of do it yourself articles about porting an engine. Porting will not gain power but it makes the engine better in idle, spinning up and can give it slightly more RPM.
Also a tiny small change on the cranktiming can do a noticeabel increase of performance.
Raising the sleeve with modded headshims does change intake and exhaust timings, it is a thing anyone can try and it can also be undone.
I find it interesting that every engine modder claims to be able to achieve more power and in some cases, more mileage. So if I mod my RB C6, I can make it a better engine than Rody designed? If modding was so across the board good, that would seem to indicate that people who make a living designing engines may not know what their doing? Just saying.

Fanging and turbo cuts really don't help that much. I would think the changing of crank and port timing would be too much for most people. Takes the right tools and experience to beat Rody at his game.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:58 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I find it interesting that every engine modder claims to be able to achieve more power and in some cases, more mileage. So if I mod my RB C6, I can make it a better engine than Rody designed? If modding was so across the board good, that would seem to indicate that people who make a living designing engines may not know what their doing? Just saying.

Fanging and turbo cuts really don't help that much. I would think the changing of crank and port timing would be too much for most people. Takes the right tools and experience to beat Rody at his game.

+1 seems like everyone with a dremel is a modder.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:40 AM
Tech Lord

And you do realy think your standard consumer engine is already set to its maximum?
Fuel milage is always a tricky thing, most of the times it comes from the moment you have to go really easy on the throttle and a change in timing can make the efficiency better but also worse. Some basics of modding will always work, going to the limit is more about trial and error and from what I have seen small changes up to 3 degree in timing does change an engine noticeable without hurting other aspects.

"Flowing" does not improve the real performance but you will notice the more steady idle and the faster spin up, only that can already give a more satisfied feeling about the engine. Indeed a change in timings can do much more.

Anyone who can handle a dremel can do some porting and a small change crank timing by a tutorial. Messuring and so listing of the timings so you can re produce your modding is something different but still easy to do with simple tools.

And wanting/daring to give it a try is up to you, if you have some old engines you are not going to use anymore then the barrier is not that high to give it a simple try.

Here is a nice list:
http://www.first-racing.eu/html/steuerzeiten.html
You can see some engines in standard and modded shape so you have an idea about how much is possible (and these numbers are no limits)
Old 03-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
And you do realy think your standard consumer engine is already set to its maximum?
Fuel milage is always a tricky thing, most of the times it comes from the moment you have to go really easy on the throttle and a change in timing can make the efficiency better but also worse. Some basics of modding will always work, going to the limit is more about trial and error and from what I have seen small changes up to 3 degree in timing does change an engine noticeable without hurting other aspects.

"Flowing" does not improve the real performance but you will notice the more steady idle and the faster spin up, only that can already give a more satisfied feeling about the engine. Indeed a change in timings can do much more.

Anyone who can handle a dremel can do some porting and a small change crank timing by a tutorial. Messuring and so listing of the timings so you can re produce your modding is something different but still easy to do with simple tools.

And wanting/daring to give it a try is up to you, if you have some old engines you are not going to use anymore then the barrier is not that high to give it a simple try.
So anyone with a dremel can improve a Rody Roem or O.S. Speed engine?

Many modders state that their porting is not visible with the eye. This is probably true because the port and crank timing changes are minuscule. Probably too minuscule for Mr. Joe Average. The changes that the modders are doing can easily be incorporated into any engines original design. A milling machine can easily be programmed to cut the ports and crank into any timing configuration. I know that there are dyno graphs showing the wondrous effects of these self taught modders. But the question remains, why are these modder timings not in the original design?
Old 03-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Lord

But the question remains, why are these modder timings not in the original design?
Interesting question with some answers I can think of

- you do not want to set the fastest engines on the consumer market, as a manufacturer you want to keep THE RIGHT timings only for yourself.
- The given timings will give you a durable engine to keep the warranty handeling low.
- The selected timings will give a good driveabillity and an easy tuning and so less aftermarket support.
- The manufacturer can set different engines on the market, to give the consumer a choice in budget and performance (mostly it comes togeather with the number of ports).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.