Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Picco .28 P3......rotor or pullstart???? >

Picco .28 P3......rotor or pullstart????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Picco .28 P3......rotor or pullstart????

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 03:47 AM
Tech Adept

Default Picco .28 P3......rotor or pullstart????

Hey everyone i posted a while ago about what engne would be best for a savage x and i have decide to go with the picco 28 due to its quality. I would really like to have a rotor start, i do hate pullstarts i only had bad experience with them. So i came upon these 2 picco 28, could anyone help me decide between these and what are the main differences of these two engines?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ofna-Picco-28-8-...#ht_1090wt_884

http://cgi.ebay.com/Picco-P3-4937-P3...item2eb3486863
Old 03-13-2011, 03:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey bud I couldn't see the item you posted but for a Savage you will need the pull start. There are some people working and putting finishing touches for the Savage to accommodate the bump start. Look up ERCM (Robin) he may be done or just finishing the project. There maybe someone already that has done it but none to my knowledge. You could go to Savage Central and check
Old 03-13-2011, 04:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

between pull and roto, rotostart wins.

But p3's dont come factory with a rotostart. HPI's .28 rotostart fits and so does losi .12-.15 spin start also works.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

And if ERCM Robin has completed it and you want to run a bump start with the Picco pull start you can convert it to bump start without modifying it like most people do IE cutting the crank shaft pin and using the wrong back plate.

In order to convert the OFNA Picco .28 8 port ABC Pull Start Monster Truck Engine [OFN51232] to bumpstart you would have to purchase the OFN51537 Rear Cover Plate with cut. This way the pull start pin on the crankshaft can ride free instead of having to cut it off and you can switch back and forth between bump and pull start.

The performance between bump start and pull start are diffrent.
The Bump start will beat the pull start "as all that rotating mass (pull start assembly) can wreak havoc at high RPM's plus it takes HP to spin it. Without the pull start parts, all the HP that was used to spin it is now freed up and sent to the wheels"

I had discussions with OFNA, Robin from ERCM, and Adam from AB Mods on this matter.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

and lets not forget, any rotostart/pullstart cannot be sealed BY design. No matter what, you cant seal a steel shaft going threw a brass bushing.And it only get worse as time goes on.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:23 AM
Tech Adept

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Picco-P3-4937-...#ht_2195wt_906

try it now and see if it works....this one allready comes with a rotorstart which means it would ok for the savage x right but what is the difference with this one below?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ofna-Picco-28-...#ht_1164wt_906
Old 03-13-2011, 06:27 AM
Tech Adept

go here if you want to have a closer look at the picture....i know they are different engines but they are both P3.

anyone used this before?

http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...76&language=ja
Old 03-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Tech Adept

anyone used this picco .28 P3 buggy engine with rotostart on their savage?

I just had a look at picco homepage and they do not have all their engines listed there.

One think i cannot understand is why everyone tries to fit a rotorstart on the pullstart version of the P3 .28 when there is a version from factory with a rotor start? And what makes it even more weird is that the factory rotorstart .28 is probably better than the pullstart version, its always like that. faster and more powerfull engines or competition engines dont come with a pullstart. well these are just my thoughts.....i wanna hear it from people that actually do have experience with these engines
Old 03-13-2011, 10:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The pullstart and rotostart engines will be identical.......... they are not the bumpstart competition versions
Old 03-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Tech Adept

can anyone post a link to the bump start version?
Old 01-16-2015, 03:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Just got a Picco Boost .28 Rotostart version for my Savage but the shock towers are in the way so I can't access with the rotostart. I tried flipping it around but the way it's designed it will only allow a 180 degree turn and same problem on the other side. Will a HPI rotostart backplate fit this engine?