Wiki Posts
Search

Racing a Motor with a pinch

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Racing a Motor with a pinch

Any of you guys race motors that have been re-pinched? Do they feel as good as a non pinched motor. Do you have any issues with idle and tuning?
Sorry never used a pinched motor before so I am curious.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Tech Addict

Engine feels almost like new again.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I have a motor that is pinched and it runs great but i only use it for practice.. Im sure i could race it though its never had a tuning issue.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

I pinch almost all my engines at least once or twice before rebuilding them. They run just about like new depending on how mild or tight you pinch them. I typically do medium pinches....so minimal re-break in...and I can easily get another 3-4 gallons out of them typically....racing. We have a few locals that pinch their race motors mildly every 1-2 gallons. One guy has a Ninja with @ race 19 gallons on it give or take....
Old 02-28-2011, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mcion
Any of you guys race motors that have been re-pinched? Do they feel as good as a non pinched motor. Do you have any issues with idle and tuning?
Sorry never used a pinched motor before so I am curious.
A Resized or"pinched" piston/sleeve will be Reliable and powerful. It will not degrade performance,tuning or reliablility. We have done hundreds of resizes for Racers that use them as the Main engine for racing. Just research feedback before you send it out to make sure it will be done right. Because it can also mess up an engine and have sub par results if not performed properly with the right equipment and knowledge.

Thanks,
Lance
RcRenew.com
Old 02-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

IMO what happens is that people wait way too long to get an engine pinched. Allot of people wait till the pinch is gone, and are having idling and flame-out problems before they consider it.

I religiously send mine in (RW Mods) every 2 gallons. It may be re-dundant, but it is consistant. That way Rex just throws a light pinch on it to get it "like new", rather than having to set a real tight pinch to get it to seal again.

When it has a fresh pinch in it, you have to do some break in to get everything seated again, and the tighter they have to do it, the more stress it puts on the rest of the components as you re-break it in.

When I send them in every 2 gallons, Rex just snugs it up a little and when I get it back I just run a tank thru it on the box a couple of hours richer than my last tune, and I'm good to go for a race tune.