Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Stuck between 2 engines.  Need help.  Please dont kill the newbie... >

Stuck between 2 engines. Need help. Please dont kill the newbie...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stuck between 2 engines. Need help. Please dont kill the newbie...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Stuck between 2 engines. Need help. Please dont kill the newbie...

So I've decided I'm going to be getting myself a Losi 8ight 2.0 to race this season. I'm new to nitro racing so my knowledge isn't the greatest on engines. I will have all kinds of help before the season starts and during the racing season as well. I'm stuck between two engines...OS XZ-B Speed and Nova plus21-4BTTS. I dont want to start any wars here!!! Could you guys explain the differences between the two for me? Pro and cons of each? Overall opinions about each engine also. Thanks guys and please keep this peaceful.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Tecno Power engines

Try one of these engines, you will love it. BO1 is plenty to push your truck. TecnoPower BO1 Great stuff
Old 02-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

if you are new to nitro i would recommended the xzb out of the 2 choices that you listed, its gonna be the easiest to tune and makes good reliable power, only negative to the speed is the cost.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You can't go wrong with OS. They're reliable, easy to tune and perform awesome! The Speed XZ-B is a great engine. Tons of power, excellent fuel mileage and super easy to tune. You won't find an engine that's easier to tune than an OS, so if you're new to tuning that will be a big plus.

Truth is those are both awesome engines from two of the best manufacturers in the business. Either one will do you well. It just comes down to what your preference is and without trying both of them you'll never really know that.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
It just comes down to what your preference is and without trying both of them you'll never really know that.
I've even been kicking the idea around about getting both for kicks and giggles...
Thanks for your input so far guys. And like I said, I'm stuck between THESE 2 engines.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I had a OS Speed. Ran great for the first two gallons. Then started to be rough to tune. And popped a little into the third. Life span of those motors suck, but are great when in the sweet spot. Not worth the money IMO.

I haven't ran that Nova but I have the purple head Nova 3-port and is awesome for what it is. Cheep, great mileage, and tons of power.

I would look into the $200 range of motors, GO, Alpha, Werks, ect. They all just about out preform the more expensive motors on the market. Also last a lot longer. I'm running a GO GX-5R right now and it will blow the doors off of any Nova or OS on the top, and just as much power on the bottom. The economy price range motors are really coming up these days.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Of the two you listed, I would suggest the Nova Rossi.. It'll get better fuel mileage, last longer and be easier to tune, all humble opinon of course..

If you are really new to nitro, don't spend $350-$500 on an engine, because you are going to mess up some where and get less the perfect life out of it.. Spend $150 and get a N21B (NovaRossi), O'Donnell SS.21, or some other lowered priced motor, and learn with it. Then when you've learned how to tune, after trashing the first engine, then get the higher priced engine and enjoy the fact you only blew $150 on learning how to tune a finicky nitro engine.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottyM
Of the two you listed, I would suggest the Nova Rossi.. It'll get better fuel mileage, last longer and be easier to tune, all humble opinon of course..

If you are really new to nitro, don't spend $350-$500 on an engine, because you are going to mess up some where and get less the perfect life out of it.. Spend $150 and get a N21B (NovaRossi), O'Donnell SS.21, or some other lowered priced motor, and learn with it. Then when you've learned how to tune, after trashing the first engine, then get the higher priced engine and enjoy the fact you only blew $150 on learning how to tune a finicky nitro engine.
+1000000 on that statement.. start out with a cheaper engine to learn the nitro tune curve... not cool losing a 500 dollar engine because you did something wrong... i have been into nitro for 6-7 years now and had my fair share of blowing up motors... the lower priced motors still have plenty of power and tunability.... start with 4-6 lower cost motors and get a good feel how to tune.. set up a clutch.. get a routine down for maintenance then get a high end mill or 2.. just my thoughts... jeremy
Old 02-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you're going to go the route of a cheaper engine to start with, don't look past the standard XZ-B from OS. It is one of the best in it's price range. Same basic engine as the speed, just a bit toned down with less of the high end features. Same easy tuning, long lasting, high performing engine.

I would take any mention of longevity issues with OS engines with a grain of salt. I've seen some pretty impressive user errors that lead to engine failures. I like to think I treat my engines the right way and I haven't had any OS that lasted less than 7 gallons. I would say 7-10 is the expected life span from OS engines if you treat them properly. The speed also has a DLC crank which makes it very rebuild-able.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by J.Whiting
+1000000 on that statement.. start out with a cheaper engine to learn the nitro tune curve... not cool losing a 500 dollar engine because you did something wrong... i have been into nitro for 6-7 years now and had my fair share of blowing up motors... the lower priced motors still have plenty of power and tunability.... start with 4-6 lower cost motors and get a good feel how to tune.. set up a clutch.. get a routine down for maintenance then get a high end mill or 2.. just my thoughts... jeremy
Very true.....I would go with 4 of the nova n21r or n21bf motors....great motors and very cheap..as far as cost..and once you feel your ready...then buy a speed or +4 nova.....trust us....nobody picks up these motors and instantly learns how to tune....we usually blow up atleast. Motor before you figure out what not to do
Old 02-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Both engines are great you cant lose with either of them You may want to get a cheaper engine so you can learn with BUt thats up to you. BUt both of those are great engines. And you will just have to try them and see how you like them. There really is no one best engine out there. There are a lot of great engines and it just comes down to what you like.

Thanks,
Lance
RcRenew.com
Old 02-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

IMO I run the toro in my truggy and that thing has been the best over all motor, easy to tune pretty much once u get it tuned i really never touch the needles, if i have to its 1-2 hours either way but very rare. I get 10+ min run time on it, just switched to OD speed blend fuel and now getting 11+, I get easy 12 gallons of fuel on it and i am very hard on a motor, everyone that knows me and seen how i run a motor can tell you that it all ways amazes them!

I have ran OS motors to and are very good but this nova has been the motor i will stick with!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for all your great input guys!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Get the Nova, it will last WAY longer than the OS. It will also have greater runtime. I have tried them all. As long I have have to pay for my motors, they will be Novarossi's.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

if your looking at a novarossi engine I would go the new +4 in the losi I have been told that internals are not anyway different between the new novarossi +4 and the 2010 models but the 2010 model team engines are alot cheaper and if you look around you can get a bargain at the moment, with the novarossi engine be sure to do a proper run in and this engine will give you what you want. now the buggy that you are going to run is up there with the best so why not consider getting a novarossi +4 hand modified, do your home work dont rush in and grab anything, I have had many a novarossi engine but my last three engines have been modified by powerhouse rc performance and as long as he keeps modifying the novarossi engines I will continue to use them. I understand that you are a newbie but who cares get something that is reliable and flame outs are never an issue, they start first time take a look here and like I said for the extra bit more dollars it is way worth it, I just wish that I started using a modified novarossi engine from the start.
http://powerhousercperformance.com/
goodluck and all the best
cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.