Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
exhaust pressure cooler question >

exhaust pressure cooler question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

exhaust pressure cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default exhaust pressure cooler question

What exactly does a exhaust pressure cooler do ,pros and cons .where to get them and are they worth it .
Old 02-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have tried it, and in all honesty, I could not tell the difference. I actually remove them from the cars.
I used them on OS speed worlds II and OS xz .28.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bjeepn
What exactly does a exhaust pressure cooler do ,pros and cons .where to get them and are they worth it .
worth the money, helps engine tune be more consistent through out the tank/tanks, far better in long mains ... VP-Pro sells them for 15 bucks i think, works very well.

http://www.vp-pro-usa.com/rc-parts-a...category_id=20
Old 02-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default coolers

thanks ill check them out
Old 02-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

From what i've read about them they help keep the temp of your fuel down. It cools the pressurized air from your exhaust which in turn reduces the temp increase in your fuel tank. By having cooler fuel your engine will run better, create more power and increase run times because you will be able to lean it out slightly. I have not tried one just yet. But I did just order one to try.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default pressure line cooler

Originally Posted by Bjeepn
they are designed to cool the exhaust pressure so you maintain colder fuel.i have tried them and found no difference in run time or tune..they are not big enough to cool the 300 degree exhaust fast enough..spend your money on something more usefull..just my experience with them
Old 02-04-2011, 05:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrofish24
they are designed to cool the exhaust pressure so you maintain colder fuel.i have tried them and found no difference in run time or tune..they are not big enough to cool the 300 degree exhaust fast enough..spend your money on something more usefull..just my experience with them
+1 .They r not big enough.The idea to cool the pression retainer line is good but if you really want to do the job you need a whole lot bigger devise .Which would put more weight on your buggy ,what you should not do....
Old 02-04-2011, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrofish24
have you tried one? if you havent then you should because it does make a difference in tune, no run time or anything. i thought the exact same way until i tried one, one weekend and was shocked that they work. Drake runs one for a reason .... i know people who also run them as an "fuel filter" too...
Old 02-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
have you tried one?
Did you read his post before posting??..I think not...

"Drake runs one for a reason"...Yeah to help with Sales...

IME..I did not notice a difference..
Old 02-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I did alot of testing with these coolers and had some various results but nothing so substancial that it stood out as an advantage. I have tried 1 on the pulse line, 1 on the fuel line and 1 on both lines at the same time and the setup with 1 on both lines seemed to have the best response. As it was mentioned before, I also feel the pulse line pressure waves move fast enough where the cooler doesn't have the time and surface area it needs to dissapate the heat. I did feel the engine run a little crisper when one was used in line on the fuel delivery circuit as the fuel passes through at a slower rate allowing more time for heat to transfer. The engine's tuning stayed more consistant but had to be a little richer with the cooler fuel entering the case which in turn cooled the air a little more making the mixture denser. I have also tried putting them in the air flow more so they would have constant airflow cooling and it also seemed to help a little but all in all, runtimes were about 45-60sec more with both coolers on in the airflow but who knows how much of that was from the coolers actually affecting it or if the tune just changed slighty between rounds. It could be a little cooler from one round to the next and the engine could lean out enough to get you an extra 30-45 sec as well so how effective are they? It's not like I got 3-4 mins out of thin air as I have heard people say before.