Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
OS FS26S-C 4-stroke development >

OS FS26S-C 4-stroke development

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree64Likes

OS FS26S-C 4-stroke development

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 04:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by speedworks
I can tell everyone for sure those springs will not work in the O.S surpass, magnums or asp .52 heads without work. The valve pockets are to small in those heads, and springs are shorter then stock.

Did they just fit right in to the newer .56 alpha head? They will fit the thunder tiger .75 heads with a shim under them, valve pocket is good on that head. Unfortunately they no longer make the .75
no they dont drop right in, shimming is required. the .56fsa is just like the fs52, the spring pockets are deeper and they use longer springs, however shimming the springs up so they sit above the pockets allow the spring to be used and there is still plenty of room to avoid coil bind.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Track run, update

So made it to the track today for a bit. Mixed results, first stock motor stock kyosho 2 speed gearing speed runs- 26mph max off phone GPS.

Next track test, ok for only a bit then lost low end power. Looks like dirt in the 2 speed is causing 2nd gear lockup. This is bad and I'll have to tear down to verify but that's what it looks like. Thinking the kyosho trans may not be the way to go for off-road use. The redcat style will probably be better if it holds up.

Also looks like 15/46 or 15/47 would be a great first gear for truggy. Plenty of get up, but as you can see from GPS it still needs more top end.

Edit-- trans update!!!
No dirt in trans, one of the springs worked it's way through the bolt hole causeing trans to not close all the way! Trans had NO dirt what so ever in it. Very surprised as I have been running it without body and throwing sand all over the inside. All is good

Last edited by speedworks; 09-20-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:35 AM
Tech Adept

Timjs, how did you calculate that speed figure in earlier post? It was real close to what mine ran, I'm wondering what 15/47 first and 20/42 second would give for top speed?
Old 09-20-2017, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

i use this gear ratio calculator Gear Ratio Calculator its meant for full size cars but it works just fine for r/c.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:19 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Sharkey_t
i use this gear ratio calculator Gear Ratio Calculator its meant for full size cars but it works just fine for r/c.
Cool, now just have to figure out how to calculate the ratios of everything..

Edit.. Ok so looks like my motor is spinning around 16,000 rpm to reach that 26mph. Need about 3,000 more rpm and I'd be at 2stroke race speed.

Last edited by speedworks; 09-20-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:50 PM
Tech Addict

Nice update man!
I just do the math. Clutch bell and spur ratio, diff ratio, tire diameter...then you can calculate speed per X amount of RPM and so on..

Or use the gearing calculator of course!
Old 09-20-2017, 03:42 PM
Tech Addict

Timjs, how did you calculate that speed figure in earlier post? It was real close to what mine ran, I'm wondering what 15/47 first and 20/42 second would give for top speed?
I just realized..
Do you actually have a 5 tooth spread? I ordered the Kyosho 2 speed from the Inferno gt2 RS. It has the 46/43t spur gears.
I'd love a 5 tooth spread, if it would actually mesh okay. What I mean by that is even though the total tooth count for first and second gear add up to the same number, the relationship between tooth count and gear diameter is not linear so having too much of a spread can cause the gears to mesh differently. I believe Sharky went through this with his two speed.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by timjs
Nice update man!
I just do the math. Clutch bell and spur ratio, diff ratio, tire diameter...then you can calculate speed per X amount of RPM and so on..

Or use the gearing calculator of course!
Gotcha, I also found another gear calculator online and it comes out the same. Going to look into a few things on the truck and see where to go from there.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:48 PM
Tech Adept

I just realized..
Do you actually have a 5 tooth spread? I ordered the Kyosho 2 speed from the Inferno gt2 RS. It has the 46/43t spur gears.
I'd love a 5 tooth spread, if it would actually mesh okay. What I mean by that is even though the total tooth count for first and second gear add up to the same number, the relationship between tooth count and gear diameter is not linear so having too much of a spread can cause the gears to mesh differently. I believe Sharky went through this with his two speed.
Nope I have the same kyosho setup as you bought. But was thinking,,, redcat 2speed with kyosho bell. 15/47 and 20/42. That will probably be my next trans setup.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:45 PM
Tech Addict

Nope I have the same kyosho setup as you bought. But was thinking,,, redcat 2speed with kyosho bell. 15/47 and 20/42. That will probably be my next trans setup.
Gotcha. I'd be very interested in how the redcat trans works. I'm in no rush to try mine, it just looks so flimsy.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:45 AM
Tech Adept

Gotcha. I'd be very interested in how the redcat trans works. I'm in no rush to try mine, it just looks so flimsy.
Not sure when I'll get a chance to try it either. I do have another truggy chassis sitting here I'd like to put it in. Only thing is I'll need a set of angled motor mounts, intake,servos and so on. Basicly another decent size investment, we'll see maybe down the road. Still have to get the machines also.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:27 PM
Tech Addict

It's here!
Got the Kyosho trans on the way, as well as that copper-tungsten rod.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:51 PM
Tech Adept

Awesome looking truck, that will be bad ass with the 4 stoke in it! Will be interesting to see how you make everything fit in it. Keep us posted with photos, any idea when you'll start the build?
Old 09-21-2017, 06:42 PM
Tech Addict

Awesome looking truck, that will be bad ass with the 4 stoke in it! Will be interesting to see how you make everything fit in it. Keep us posted with photos, any idea when you'll start the build?
I'll definitely post updates and stuff.
I want to start this weekend, but I won't have the Kyosho parts yet I think, so the most I can do is probably removing the Dynamite .28 and see what kind of room I'll be working with.
Also, I have another badass RC project that gets priority which I'm hoping to get finished up this weekend. I have to build engine mounts for that particular truck. When it's done I'll post in that vehicle's RCtech thread and shake it up a bit. I'm pretty sure it will be the first of its kind.

Anywho back to the thumper, did you happen to snap some pics of the clutch shoes with the tungsten rod?
I was also thinking, that stuff seems like a fantastic way to make my flywheel even heavier, which would be great!
Old 09-22-2017, 02:27 PM
Tech Adept

I'll definitely post updates and stuff.
I want to start this weekend, but I won't have the Kyosho parts yet I think, so the most I can do is probably removing the Dynamite .28 and see what kind of room I'll be working with.
Also, I have another badass RC project that gets priority which I'm hoping to get finished up this weekend. I have to build engine mounts for that particular truck. When it's done I'll post in that vehicle's RCtech thread and shake it up a bit. I'm pretty sure it will be the first of its kind.

Anywho back to the thumper, did you happen to snap some pics of the clutch shoes with the tungsten rod?
I was also thinking, that stuff seems like a fantastic way to make my flywheel even heavier, which would be great!
No pictures of clutch yet but I'll have it tore down again here soon. I just put one piece of rod in each shoe. They come out to 2.8g each, I got me a small scale now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.