Wiki Posts
Search

New Axial .21 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)
Default results....

Well, yet another failure for me... As my previous post read, I had con-rod failure. Well, yet again, I had another con-rod bushing failure. I added another shim to the motor and it ran great!! for about 1.75 gallons. A success in my book for this motor...

It's too bad because when it was running, it ran great... As good if not better than my nova n21bf limited. Definately not better than my plus-4 or my cross 11 but you get the point. Anyhow, you can see the damage in the pictures. It tried to push the bushing pieces through the sleeve. The result is a beat up piston and button. Took a chunk out of the piston skirt too... pretty nice damage..I bet if a Nova conrod would fit this motor, it would be perfect.

Anyhow, the remaining parts are for sale. I'm sure you could almost name your price and I'd sell you the parts. The carb is freshly resealed and actually only used a few tanks. The crank is in good shape, the case seems fine and the head is fine as well. Contact me if you want them...
Attached Thumbnails New Axial .21 Engine-dscn0597.jpg   New Axial .21 Engine-dscn0596.jpg  

Last edited by chrisw212002; 10-05-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chrisw212002
Well, yet another failure for me... As my previous post read, I had con-rod failure. Well, yet again, I had another con-rod bushing failure. I added another shim to the motor and it ran great!! for about 3/4 gallon. A success in my book for this motor...

It's too bad because when it was running, it ran great... As good if not better than my nova n21bf limited. Definately not better than my plus-4 or my cross 11 but you get the point. Anyhow, you can see the damage in the pictures. It tried to push the bushing pieces through the sleeve. The result is a beat up piston and button. Took a chunk out of the piston skirt too... pretty nice damage..I bet if a Nova conrod would fit this motor, it would be perfect.

Anyhow, the remaining parts are for sale. I'm sure you could almost name your price and I'd sell you the parts. The carb is freshly resealed and actually only used a few tanks. The crank is in good shape, the case seems fine and the head is fine as well. Contact me if you want them...
What fuel do you run?
Old 10-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Tech Regular

well, when the first bushing went, I was running 30/9 Byrons. This second time around, I was running 40/9 Byrons.
I have a correction to make, I actually had 1.75 Gals when this second rod bushing went. The first rod went at 2 Gals. I have 3.75 on it now and have replaced 2 rods...
Old 10-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well, yet another failure for me... As my previous post read, I had con-rod failure. Well, yet again, I had another con-rod bushing failure. I added another shim to the motor and it ran great!! for about 1.75 gallons. A success in my book for this motor...

I was wondering if this engine would have rod issues...ultra long stroke and a very short rod...material quality will definitely be an issue with a design like this
Old 10-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
I was wondering if this engine would have rod issues...ultra long stroke and a very short rod...material quality will definitely be an issue with a design like this
well ive got 4 gal on both of my 21rrs and ave had no issues I am running 30.11 byrons and nova carbs though.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Maximo

I saw your message about modding one of these motors. If you can find a nova/rb rod to fit this, I imagine this would be a sweet little mill. A crisp tune shows that the rod will not hold up over time. If you run it rich, I'm sure it will last a while. D-money has had good luck as there is a nice following of these motors at Rev. Raceway....He is running 30/11 so the oil content just might be the ticket. I'm sure the bushing loosens up, turns and blocks the oil hole in turn getting too hot and shelling out...Atleast that's the usual case when bushings shell out. just my 2 cents
Old 10-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

well, when the first bushing went, I was running 30/9 Byrons. This second time around, I was running 40/9 Byrons.
I have a correction to make, I actually had 1.75 Gals when this second rod bushing went. The first rod went at 2 Gals. I have 3.75 on it now and have replaced 2 rods...
Sounds like the ProDriver formula. Perhaps you should stick with the Race, although I don't think it comes in 40%.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Well I've bought a replacement rod to change out once the pinch has gone....better safe than sorry.
I must say I'm not getting a good top end from this engine yet. It's got about 1/2 gallon on it and still has alot of pinch when cold. but Its tuned with good temps (230) don't really want to lean it out anymore but I'm sure I'm going to have to unless it really does come alive after a gallon. Any info on top temp I can safely go to. I'm not scared of pushing them higher I run a Nova at 270-280 but they like it..not sure about the axial yet, esp with the rod issues.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Tech Addict

the motors that i have run there best between 240 and 250.my personal opinion is these motors are not broken in until the 1 and 3/4 mark.you should still have a good top end though. what is your gearing and what car? also what pipe are you using?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:17 AM
Tech Champion

keep in mind guys, that with a 17.6 mm stroke this engine is going to struggle making big RPM....This kind of long stroke design is good for making torque, not for making RPM.....nothing wrong with that either, just keep that in mind when your looking for the big RPM...also keep in mind that with the extra long stroke the engine has extremely high piston velocities and a very extreme rod angle...pushing it too much into the high RPM is going to result in damage and possible failure.....
Old 10-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Tech Addict

very good point this 7 port motor has a ton of bottom end .if your not getting enough speed try going up a tooth on the bell it really makes it come alive.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:30 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Mine woke up after the first gallon. I always tuned my engine by sound and performance and when I checked temp it was always between 250 and 260F.

Good mill, good torque and RPM. It is now a spare engine.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Tech Champion

Is this engine a rebrand?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Is this engine a rebrand?

nope...it is a somewhat copy of a Novarossi Toro Nero...
Old 10-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Tech Champion

Does it have anywhere near the oomph of a TN? I watched a guy racing a TN in a buggy once. It was hilarious..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.