Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
What makes 1 engine have better mileage than another? >

What makes 1 engine have better mileage than another?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Tune for performance not temp. If you are getting your best performance and your temps below 200*F. Which happens a bit if you run in colder temperatures. Put a little tin foil over the cooling head a little at a time until temperatures reach over 200F. This technique can help with break in on motors as well.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
The way the crank shaft is cut to atomize the fuel and what pipe is used. With the same driver on the same track and truck/buggy with the same tires ETC, only changing the 2 things mentioned up top underlined, you can see 1-2-3/4 to 3 min longer run time. EDIT: tuning accordingly as well.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:43 AM
Tech Adept

@NitroXray80809

I see you have a MBX6, do you steel have the black insert in the fueltank if so remove it.

As for the os2060 on your engine, i liked it alot wen i was given a Alpha F850 to test it out.
Fuel mileage and overall performance was very good with that pipe, pitted at 10 min in the one race i used the engine in a MBX6T.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by got_nitro
The way the crank shaft is cut to atomize the fuel and what pipe is used. With the same driver on the same track and truck/buggy with the same tires ETC, only changing the 2 things mentioned up top underlined, you can see 1-2-3/4 to 3 min longer run time. EDIT: tuning accordingly as well.
I am not sure about that one...the fuel is atomized as it leaves the venturi of the carb...any contact that mixture has after that actually causes separation of the mixture...I don't believe a crankshaft will atomize the mixture...more like a properly cut crankshaft will offer the least amount of contact with the mixture as possible and cause the least amount of separation possible.....
Old 01-23-2011, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Maximo
I am not sure about that one...the fuel is atomized as it leaves the venturi of the carb...any contact that mixture has after that actually causes separation of the mixture...I don't believe a crankshaft will atomize the mixture...more like a properly cut crankshaft will offer the least amount of contact with the mixture as possible and cause the least amount of separation possible.....

That's how I should have worded it. I just figured most would know the difference in a factory mass produced crank V.S. a nice cut moded one. I run a moded speed and the difference in milage is huge.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:12 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Cool Throtle EPA

I can't believe that no one has made mention of adjusting throttle EPA. I run mine at 75% on a large track and I get plenty of power and just over 12 minutes a tank on my B5/2013 combo in my 6T.

Once you have your tune dialed in, adjust your EPA's for that extra bit of run time. Most people completely overlook this!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:25 AM
Tech Champion

That's how I should have worded it. I just figured most would know the difference in a factory mass produced crank V.S. a nice cut moded one. I run a moded speed and the difference in milage is huge.
who modded the Speed ?

personally I don't mess much with crank shape on the counterweight...it causes too much vibrations......if anything I add weight to the counterweight if the engine isn't already slugged...

IMO head button can make a huge difference on mileage... Carb design is also huge......transfer port orientation is also a big factor when it comes to mileage...The engines we do here at Clockwork almost look 100% stock from a visual inspection, but they get substantially better mileage then stock and also make substantially more power.....
Old 01-23-2011, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Maximo
who modded the Speed ?...
I have one done by RBmods. It's got some work on the counterweight and the sleeve too.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:44 AM
Tech Champion

I have one done by RBmods. It's got some work on the counterweight and the sleeve too.
Wicked stuff those modified Speeds !.....
Old 01-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hookem34
I can't believe that no one has made mention of adjusting throttle EPA. I run mine at 75% on a large track and I get plenty of power and just over 12 minutes a tank on my B5/2013 combo in my 6T.

Once you have your tune dialed in, adjust your EPA's for that extra bit of run time. Most people completely overlook this!
+1 on dialing back the throttle EPA. I have the thumb
button on my radio set up for dual rate throttle EPA's.
I can press the button for full throttle, if I want it.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shanty140
Tune for performance not temp. If you are getting your best performance and your temps below 200*F. Which happens a bit if you run in colder temperatures. Put a little tin foil over the cooling head a little at a time until temperatures reach over 200F. This technique can help with break in on motors as well.
It would have to be pretty darn cold to run at under 200 degrees when race tuned. We run in pretty cold temps here sometimes and even then my engines run over 200. He's in Cali. I doubt it is very cold there. Just sayin...

I think the problem here is completely tune related.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Paulus
@NitroXray80809

I see you have a MBX6, do you steel have the black insert in the fueltank if so remove it.

As for the os2060 on your engine, i liked it alot wen i was given a Alpha F850 to test it out.
Fuel mileage and overall performance was very good with that pipe, pitted at 10 min in the one race i used the engine in a MBX6T.
Yeah im not running the black insert, but im ganna just tune it to run warm and see. So if i get it reaching 200 and i have to really lean the engine to do this wont it cause issues?