R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum

Old 01-09-2011, 03:31 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default O'donnell 97T vs 99T Glow Plug

O'donnell site says:
99T High-performance turbo race engines - warm/hot conditions Turbo
97T High-performance turbo race engines - cool/warm conditions

Amainhobbies.com says:

99T This is a cold glow plug intended for use in .21 on-road race engines with high nitro content fuels. 30-40 percent

My main question is, what characteristic of the 99T makes it an on-road plug? Can it be used off road? Just wondering if it's applicable off road in a warm/hot condition off road with 30% nitro fuel? I've been running the 97T off road 30% nitro with good results, and am looking to carry some 99T plugs in my pit box for hotter days. Thanks for the help.
team2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:03 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

The 99T is colder than the 97T, and is more intended for the extended high RPM running that on-road engines generally see (generally more than off road, unless your track has many long straight sections).

The O'Donnell site and Amain descriptions are correct, just worded differently. Amain calls out the heat range of the plug, OD calls out the conditions that it's intended for.

Of course, nitro content, tuning preference, engine specifics, and personal choice are factors, but a rule of thumb is this...
Hotter weather = cooler plug needed
Cooler weather = hotter plug needed
Smaller engine = hotter plug needed
Higher nitro content = colder plug needed

Depending on what track you run on, you could use a 99T, but tuning will be a bit more difficult, and you may be fouling the plugs often. Here is an excerpt directly from the OS website

Hot plugs promote better idling and acceleration. If your engine runs rough or accelerates sluggishly, a hotter plug will help.

Cold plugs produce more power and may improve performance if your engine runs hot. The downside is rougher idling and more difficulty in tuning.

Where you run also plays a part. If the track/course has a lot of twists and turns, a hot plug is fine. If the track/course has long straights where you'll reach maximum rpm, a colder plug is best.

I generally run 87T (med-hot), or 77T (hot) in my engines, even during the summer. I've found that it's a good mix of power, plug life, and ease of tuning.
Hobbico / Futaba / Picco Engines / Triton RC / RCRenew / www.premierehobbies.com
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:26 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

http://www.merlinglowplugs.com/Compare.html

A list of O'donnel plugs compared with others.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:29 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I have been running the 77t in my modified novarossi engines and they dont miss a beat , atmospheric conditions where I live are humid, some of the guys are running the 97t without issues but for me I will stick with the 77t
cheers
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jbright33

ouch il never use a odonnell plug. had a freind line up a bunch of 97t plugs. half of them the base was shorther then the other half.... so some of them would set flush at the bottom of the button head (how they should) the others were short so if anyone has ever experienced a different tune after swithcing plugs this could have been the problem.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

houston recomends these plugs, he uses them himself.

Scott
1968 Camaro: 1:1, 5.3L LM7, Complete Restoration in Progress
Batteries are for flashlights and starterboxes
sdphilips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
The 99T is colder than the 97T, and is more intended for the extended high RPM running that on-road engines generally see (generally more than off road, unless your track has many long straight sections).

The O'Donnell site and Amain descriptions are correct, just worded differently. Amain calls out the heat range of the plug, OD calls out the conditions that it's intended for.

Of course, nitro content, tuning preference, engine specifics, and personal choice are factors, but a rule of thumb is this...
Hotter weather = cooler plug needed
Cooler weather = hotter plug needed
Smaller engine = hotter plug needed
Higher nitro content = colder plug needed

Depending on what track you run on, you could use a 99T, but tuning will be a bit more difficult, and you may be fouling the plugs often. Here is an excerpt directly from the OS website

Hot plugs promote better idling and acceleration. If your engine runs rough or accelerates sluggishly, a hotter plug will help.

Cold plugs produce more power and may improve performance if your engine runs hot. The downside is rougher idling and more difficulty in tuning.

Where you run also plays a part. If the track/course has a lot of twists and turns, a hot plug is fine. If the track/course has long straights where you'll reach maximum rpm, a colder plug is best.

I generally run 87T (med-hot), or 77T (hot) in my engines, even during the summer. I've found that it's a good mix of power, plug life, and ease of tuning.
great info stubbs kudos
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM SWEEP RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /NOVAROSSI DEALER/ FUSIONX USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S." / BYRON FUELS / HITEC/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/SWEEP RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/WERKS CLUTCH/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #8
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbright33 View Post
ouch il never use a odonnell plug. had a freind line up a bunch of 97t plugs. half of them the base was shorther then the other half.... so some of them would set flush at the bottom of the button head (how they should) the others were short so if anyone has ever experienced a different tune after swithcing plugs this could have been the problem.
Ed "I WANT MY STARS!!!!" Bridges (just playin Ed) doesnt recommend them though look at his signature

odonnell plugs are just fine , novarossi are better but also cost twice as much and then some . been testing novarossi plugs throughout the latter of the 2010 racing season and have had great results so i would venture to say the plug issue has been fixed .

if you use OS plugs in your nova engine , stick with them!!! do not switch back to odonnel or novarossi or any other brand but OS .

btw , i have lined up many many odo plugs and never seen what you are refering to
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM SWEEP RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /NOVAROSSI DEALER/ FUSIONX USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S." / BYRON FUELS / HITEC/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/SWEEP RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/WERKS CLUTCH/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM

Last edited by houston; 01-09-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As others are saying, 99 is going to be too cold for most offroad applications. Maybe OK if your running high nitro or high compression or a heavily modded mill on a long track but generally you are going to want something hotter like a 97 or 77.

As for quality, they are good and run well for the price. There are better plugs out there but they all cost more. But then, if the more expensive plug also lasts longer, which one is really cheaper?
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
As others are saying, 99 is going to be too cold for most offroad applications. Maybe OK if your running high nitro or high compression or a heavily modded mill on a long track but generally you are going to want something hotter like a 97 or 77.

As for quality, they are good and run well for the price. There are better plugs out there but they all cost more. But then, if the more expensive plug also lasts longer, which one is really cheaper?
i will agree with that statement

but in the same token i have seen spendy plugs blow in less time than lower cost plugs
Old 01-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #11
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
i will agree with that statement

but in the same token i have seen spendy plugs blow in less time than lower cost plugs
As have I. Especially when Nova plugs went in the toilet

Fortunately, I hear they have that resolved.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
Tech Lord

Quote:

i dont go offf of anything i hear so i test they tested good as of late

c5 and 6tgh have been great
Old 01-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Quote:

But as no one wants to buy them it can take a while the shops hava the new batch. So at this moment I stay with the Merlins which actually work very well and I think the O'donnell plugs are the same.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
But as no one wants to buy them it can take a while the shops hava the new batch. So at this moment I stay with the Merlins which actually work very well and I think the O'donnell plugs are the same.
I've had good results with the 99t in onroad but a Sirio 7 feels like it has a bit more snap and lasts 5 times longer.

I will be giving the new Nova 8's a try come spring.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jbright33

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
Ed "I WANT MY STARS!!!!" Bridges (just playin Ed) doesnt recommend them though look at his signature

odonnell plugs are just fine , novarossi are better but also cost twice as much and then some . been testing novarossi plugs throughout the latter of the 2010 racing season and have had great results so i would venture to say the plug issue has been fixed .

if you use OS plugs in your nova engine , stick with them!!! do not switch back to odonnel or novarossi or any other brand but OS .

btw , i have lined up many many odo plugs and never seen what you are refering to
whats that suppose to mean.... for one I never said anything about edd. just cause i run his products dosnt mean that he is the reason im saying what I did. I said what i did cause this is what i had seen first hand from a freind that i was helping to tune his motor. and after inspecting everything i noticed that his glow plugs were different. maybe some were old and they changed them I dont know.