Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
O'donnell 97T vs 99T Glow Plug >

O'donnell 97T vs 99T Glow Plug

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

O'donnell 97T vs 99T Glow Plug

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbright33
whats that suppose to mean.... for one I never said anything about edd. just cause i run his products dosnt mean that he is the reason im saying what I did. I said what i did cause this is what i had seen first hand from a freind that i was helping to tune his motor. and after inspecting everything i noticed that his glow plugs were different. maybe some were old and they changed them I dont know.
Thanks for not taking that too serious

Could have been a switch between factories maybe ,idk

I have been using o'donnell plugs for about 4 years with no real issues

Happy motorin,
Monty
Old 01-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Tech Regular

Yep ....

I have used the 77T in pretty much everything 12 and 21 (although mainly 16% nitro) and for the price they are a good plug imo.

I reckon in the heat of the summer the 97T may be a decent option.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
Thanks for not taking that too serious

Could have been a switch between factories maybe ,idk

I have been using o'donnell plugs for about 4 years with no real issues

Happy motorin,
Monty
na if I would have taken it serious there would be alot more said. I dont know if it was a factory switch or what. but i just know what i had seen. and dont take me wrong I use to run odonnell plugs till I came across this.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
Ed "I WANT MY STARS!!!!" Bridges (just playin Ed) doesnt recommend them though look at his signature

odonnell plugs are just fine , novarossi are better but also cost twice as much and then some . been testing novarossi plugs throughout the latter of the 2010 racing season and have had great results so i would venture to say the plug issue has been fixed .

if you use OS plugs in your nova engine , stick with them!!! do not switch back to odonnel or novarossi or any other brand but OS .

btw , i have lined up many many odo plugs and never seen what you are refering to
Hey Monty, I've heard this several times over the past couple of years. What's the logic behind this?

One of the local engine gurus said that it had to do with the taper on the nose of the OS plugs being slightly different than just about everything else, and that using a different plug after an OS would cause it to not seal properly. He didn't specifically state that this was only with Nova's, but with engines in general.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stubbs
Hey Monty, I've heard this several times over the past couple of years. What's the logic behind this?

One of the local engine gurus said that it had to do with the taper on the nose of the OS plugs being slightly different than just about everything else, and that using a different plug after an OS would cause it to not seal properly. He didn't specifically state that this was only with Nova's, but with engines in general.
The thread pitch on the body is also slightly different...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/7163812-post2716.html
Old 01-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

on nova engines it has to do with how much of the aluminum the taper of the plug rests on , os plugs have smaller surface on the tapered area which deforms the head button and after using OS then switching to other plugs can and will cause the seal to be compromised threads are minorly different but thats not the worse of the two evils presented

Last edited by houston; 01-09-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up AGREE!

Originally Posted by wingracer
As others are saying, 99 is going to be too cold for most offroad applications. Maybe OK if your running high nitro or high compression or a heavily modded mill on a long track but generally you are going to want something hotter like a 97 or 77.

As for quality, they are good and run well for the price. There are better plugs out there but they all cost more. But then, if the more expensive plug also lasts longer, which one is really cheaper?
I FULLY AGREE WITH YOU MATE AS I HAVE USED HE 97T'S FOR 5 YEARS KNOW IN MY O.S AND ARE A QUALITY PLUG THROUGH AND THROUGH AND I FOUND THEM ON EBAY FOR $5.50 EACH WHICH IS $2.00 LESS THAN I HAVE SEEN ANYWHERE, I USUALLY BUY BULK OF 20 A TIME
Old 04-30-2013, 01:32 AM
Tech Master

I run OD plugs in almost all my engines. 77T in my pratice engines (not that powerfull engines and the 77T are just great for several minutes of idle) and 97T in Novarossi Plus4 engines (77T if the ambient temp is very low 0ºC)). In the summer time the 97T is actually too hot in the Nova engines: The mills can idle forever and I don't need that in a race engine. I rather use a colder plug, so I can lean the engines a little more and get even better mileage. I don't have 99T plugs so I use Novarossi #6. Any good bargains on OD 99T plugs??? ;-)