Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Is there any new motor designs for the new year?? >

Is there any new motor designs for the new year??

Is there any new motor designs for the new year??

Old 12-31-2010, 06:15 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (71%+)
Default Is there any new motor designs for the new year??

Does anyone know if there will be any new motor designs in the new year??...I mean like a case reed design, light weight four stroke, nikasil coated sleeve,.. ect. The designs of today have been around for ever...nothing wrong with that...but there must be better designs....my self...I would love to see a light weight, high reving 4 stroke for the new year.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Lol. Sounds like all tends of the MX world...
Old 01-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I hope no 4 strokes . 2008 was the last year my son raced mx competitively. I spent $6200.00 dollars on parts alone (except tires ) and most of that money was spent on engine parts . The 4 stroke mx bikes take WAY more maintenance than 2 strokes . But that new water cooled grossi engine looks interesting . May not make anymore power but i wonder if they could get more run time ? When bikes went from air to water cooling it was a big leap forward .
Old 01-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by romax
I hope no 4 strokes . 2008 was the last year my son raced mx competitively. I spent $6200.00 dollars on parts alone (except tires ) and most of that money was spent on engine parts . The 4 stroke mx bikes take WAY more maintenance than 2 strokes . But that new water cooled grossi engine looks interesting . May not make anymore power but i wonder if they could get more run time ? When bikes went from air to water cooling it was a big leap forward .
I had very little problems with my 4 stroke bikes...I raced 14 years...6 of those years were at pro level. In a gate of 40 there were no two strokes...

I know there is very little money in development in the R/C scene...but It would be nice to see a manufacture step outside the box instead of copying each others designs.

Wouldn't a split case, reed design be cheaper to make??

4 stroke...yeah i know..thats a far reach...but I bet every competitive racer would have one.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mb4545
I had very little problems with my 4 stroke bikes...I raced 14 years...6 of those years were at pro level. In a gate of 40 there were no two strokes...

I know there is very little money in development in the R/C scene...but It would be nice to see a manufacture step outside the box instead of copying each others designs.

4 stroke...yeah i know..thats a far reach...but I bet every competitive racer would have one.
The question to ask would he why? What advantage would there be over what we are currently doing? Then i would ask if you have ever seen a reed engine that operated at 40k rpm lol? The answer to that will more than likely be no and of course there is a reason for that. Point that I'm trying to make is it is nice to say I want this or that but there is a reason that engine designs for cars are the way that they are.

Also ABN (aluminum, brass, nikasil) sleeves were done a long time ago. I know that at least back in 03 when we were the Picco importer Alberto made some and we tested them in on-road. Not sure if anyone else has done them but I'm guessing that the answer is probably yes.

Regarding 4 strokes OS makes one. They weigh a lot more than 2 strokes, they cost more, they do not turn as much rpm but they do have more torque and they are more fuel efficient. I raced a 4 stroke for about 2 years at our local on-road club in our Super 10 class back in 2000 & 2001 so this also is not exactly cutting edge.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

i know there are new engines that are different porting than anything offered at the moment but havent heard anything about 4 stroke . i think i would still use 2 stroke micromotors such as what we use now over four strokes anyway , i like powerbands , you dont get those with four strokes
Old 01-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Tech Addict

Oh man i hated the 4 strokes . Mostly 250 , the 450 was fine but he didn't race it as much and didn't keep the revs . as high . As you said there was only 4 strokes on the gate . We had to run 4 stroke cause that's all team green gave us , but i would have much rather ran 2 strokes . Plus i just love the 2 stroke sound .
Old 01-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Werks
The question to ask would he why? What advantage would there be over what we are currently doing? Then i would ask if you have ever seen a reed engine that operated at 40k rpm lol? The answer to that will more than likely be no and of course there is a reason for that. Point that I'm trying to make is it is nice to say I want this or that but there is a reason that engine designs for cars are the way that they are.

Also ABN (aluminum, brass, nikasil) sleeves were done a long time ago. I know that at least back in 03 when we were the Picco importer Alberto made some and we tested them in on-road. Not sure if anyone else has done them but I'm guessing that the answer is probably yes.

Regarding 4 strokes OS makes one. They weigh a lot more than 2 strokes, they cost more, they do not turn as much rpm but they do have more torque and they are more fuel efficient. I raced a 4 stroke for about 2 years at our local on-road club in our Super 10 class back in 2000 & 2001 so this also is not exactly cutting edge.
Whys does it have to rev 40k? Gearing wouldn't work?

split case technology? Why not?

All i am really saying is I seen this technology in the mx scene...why wouldn't it work here

4 Stroke...will work...just needs to be developed more..from the ground up
Old 01-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

All i am really saying is I seen this technology in the mx scene...why wouldn't it work here

one major issue is your car would need more gears

i am absolutely positive an engine design other than what we have can be built but why? cost would be astronomical , tesing would be long and have to be proven ( some companies have found out the hard way what its like testing out product on the consumer ) to be sold as a viable product in todays market .

our simple little engines are absolutely phenomenal in the amount of power they produce for the size

refining shapes of the internals of these little two strokes is making huge differences in the way they run , have i mentioned micromotors are cool !?!
Old 01-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by romax
Oh man i hated the 4 strokes . Mostly 250 , the 450 was fine but he didn't race it as much and didn't keep the revs . as high . As you said there was only 4 strokes on the gate . We had to run 4 stroke cause that's all team green gave us , but i would have much rather ran 2 strokes . Plus i just love the 2 stroke sound .
You were on team green? when?
Old 01-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Tech Addict

My son had a team green dealer support ride if i remember right from 2004 till 2008 but had a career ending injury in 07 /08 so he decided to quit racing and focus on school .
Old 01-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well as the saying goes, if you think that you know how to make a better mouse trap, make it. There is a reason that we use what is in essence rotorY valve 2 stroke engine designs. If you feel that you can make a 4 stroke engine that produces the same hp v/ weight of the current crop of engines then you should do it. Personaly I have some difficulty seeing how you would get a similar powerband out of a 4 stroke. But maybe you have some ideas on how and also why car designers would want to figure out how to get a multi speed gearbox in a buggy or truggy to go with the heavier, more complex as well as more expensive 4 stroke engine design? In these days of people wanting more bang for their buck and having less to spend what exactly would the benefit be to even doing this?
Old 01-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
i know there are new engines that are different porting than anything offered at the moment but havent heard anything about 4 stroke . i think i would still use 2 stroke micromotors such as what we use now over four strokes anyway , i like powerbands , you dont get those with four strokes
Yeah forsure. I always run extra heavy duty power bands so they last longer.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

Fuel injection would be the best step forward for our sport.

I just don't know how nitro would affect the map sensor. No pressure lines, no Carbie adjustments.
Runs 100% on tune all the time. How nice would that be.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Tech Regular

Whats up Ron and Monty

Kevin

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.